Need trailer for hauling kayaks

Pics

– Last Updated: Jun-09-08 7:32 AM EST –

http://tinyurl.com/3etgu8

Bryan McIntosh is the custom trailer welder, and his phone number is 270-726-8989 in Kentucky. And he ships.

G'luck hy_tek and others. This thread has much information, and thus it will live on in the Advice column, which is archived on Pnet.

Might be different on HF trailers…
On our snowmobile trailer the existing tongue only had to be drilled for a bolt hole in a different location. Then the tongue was slid out more and bolted in that position.

Costs
Some numbers for you.

The snowmobile trailer cost $1000 new back in 2000. The recent custom brackets were another $350, and I don’t think this guy’s rates were low (he came highly recommended, though). We have replaced one set of tires in 8 years.

Payload is about 1300 lbs, with a Dexter torsion axle. VERY rigid tongue even after extending it longer than its already-long stock trim. Flatbed floor so no rocks from below. We’ve hauled much heavier stuff than kayaks with it. The trailer bed came with a tilting hinge, though we have locked it out.

Have used it on road trips on western Interstates (70-75 mph) without any trouble. The thing has a wonderfully low profile. Weighed a little under 400 lbs before the mods so towable with a Class I hitch or a truck bumper.

The bed section is 9.5 or 10 ft long (I forget which), so it can carry 18’ sea kayaks without excessive overhang in back OR jackknifing problems in front.

After 8 years of regular use, I am very happy with this trailer. The R&R is lighter and can be collapsed for apartment storage, but it has far more limited uses with its low payload and wimpy tongue.

Trailer price increase…
Ok the price of CD1’s custom trailer just went up $400 from $1250 to $1650 in one week. The maker estimates shipping at $300 additional. I would have to buy saddles for 4 kayaks bays so that is another $400 at $100 a kayak. Bringing the total to around $2350 delivered. I am afaid that is a little too much for a trailer I will use for kayaks only. I am going to check with a local custom trailer maker and see what he would charge to make a trailer similar but not as much overkill. That trailer had a 3500# axle and weighed in at 1100# according to the maker with 15’ tires. While all this heavy duty trailer construction is nice it is like planting daisies with a backhoe…way overkill for 200# of kayaks. I just feel my money could be spent better elsewhere on a kayak or equipment upgrades rather than a Mercedes Custom Trailer. My kayaks won’t know the difference anyway but my wallet will…lol…

Nice trailer though
CD1’s trailer looks very nice and solid for sure but with gas prices so high, I wouldnt want to be towing that much weight for a few kayaks. Just for interests sake - google “castlecraft” no affiliation and have never purchased from them but they carry trailex and have an interesting design (box style with multi uses) I know people who have trailex trailers and like them alot. My gripe is the small tires and my suggestion to trailex for a larger tire fell on deaf ears so…i dont own one but i do like the construction. Many kayak dealers use them when bringing large numbers of boats for paddlefests and they are reasonably light - less gas useage. I agree rack and roll trailers although they upped the weight max i think a hundred pounds with the slightly larger version- its still low if you want to put multi boats on in poly.

Harbor Freight and extended hitch
I made up a Harbor Freight trailer to haul Kayaks, but also firewood and other stuff, too, so I actually wanted a deck and sides on it. Additionally, I needed it to fold and fit into the garage. As such, I couldn’t extend the tongue, and made the sides and kayak bars easily removeable.

I just made up a hitch extension for the receiver hitch on my truck, using thick-wall 2" OD tubing, and a 2" hitch receiver 18" long I snagged at Harbor Freight. I didn’t need to fire up the welder, just the drill press, since I made the extension adjustable in length (36", 30", 26"). I can tow it behind the F350 with the camper on, and the various lengths allow for different lengths of Kayaks.

Just a different solution to the length problem, for those who have 6K capacity hitches. An extension this long on a class II or lower hitch could be dangerous.

Legal Rear overhang limit
Everyone says to just extend the tongue to get a kayak to fit on a trailer. My question is if you center the boat on the trailer which is how it should be so the weight is evenly distributed, how much can you legally let the boat extend off the back? From some of the commercial racks I see people are selling it’s like they made sure the boat doesn’t hit the tow vehicle in front but the rear overhang is really not considered. I read that you can have no more than 3’ overhang legally but from what I see in these home made trailers there is much more than 3’ extending over the back of the trailer. I am in Illinois so I am not sure what the restrictions are yet. I am not sure you can just safely extend the tongue on any trailer either. What about the safety of doing that? I further see trailers with the kayaks laying on side just resting on bars with not much support. That can’t be good for the hull bouncing around like that on the road I would think. Maybe I just think too much…lol

I am now in contact with a local trailer builder to see what a custom trailer would cost. These are all questions I need to ask him.

Nichols Trailers!
Wow,

I had him (Nichols) make me a motorcycle trailer (when I was racing). Awesome. Lasted until I retired from racing.

For kayaking though, I have chosen the Rack and Roll.

For steel trailers, I would highly recommend Nichols too.

Bill

Charleston, SC

Here are some pics of my trailer.
I started with a basic tilting flatbed from TSC. It carries 6 kayaks and gear for more than 6. Tilt bed, aluminum ramp under the bed. Aluminum sides and storage box from TSC.8"pvc tube for paddle storage. I welded up the racks and voila! It can carry yard loads, snowmobile, Harley, yaks, whatever. I think I have around $1,500.00 into it, but I got help from my friend on some of the fab work.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4/Wolverinemw/SouthBass014.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4/Wolverinemw/SouthBass011.jpg

Overhang limits
Check YOUR state’s laws, but most of the posts on this subject before have revealed that generally 4’ of overhang is allowed withOUT bright warning flags. Many people add the flags even with less overhang.

With my 16.5’ Tempest 165 centered lengthwise over the trailer’s flatbed, I have a little over 3’ of overhang fore and aft. I’m picking up a 17.5-footer soon, which will still be within the 4’ limit.

Extending the tongue may or may not be a good idea, depending on the trailer. It worked beautifully with ours.

You may want to talk with a good trailer and hitch shop to get your questions answered. If it’s not a kayak-specific trailer you’ll need to do some outfitting and/or mods but not necessarily a full-blown custom trailer.

If you have a short bed with long tongue

– Last Updated: Jun-11-08 10:08 PM EST –

...you bwould be called Gene Simmons.

No, seriousliy, you will need a T-bar welded to the tongue to move your boat up far enough if you use a shorter box.

The legal overhang, according to prior Pnet posts, is 5 feet.

http://tinyurl.com/6b4uu3

Here's one too far away but certainly gives idea about concept of utility to kayak. Still does not have the drop down back you seek. And to me, although I appreciate the A-frame tongue, it simply does not look long enough (the tongue).

Plus, wasted vertical space in that the lower crossbars do not come down to the trailer; they are about a foot too high; useless space (unless you;re putting something large in the bed, which is unlikely when kayaking). So, it's just something to see and study. Another "prototype" to your ultimate trailer.

I have yet to see a funtional kayak trailer with a drop down back (to use for other items, like lawnmower, et cetera). Have you seen one?

Many paddlers enjoying your thread, hy_. This has become "the thread" for all things trailer. Everyone holding breathe to see which one you get or make.

hy_

– Last Updated: Jun-11-08 10:32 PM EST –

See my first post immediately above this one

McIntosh at $1650 plus $300 shipping is only $300 more than I got mine on an eBay auction (mine plus higher shipping was only $300 more than his current asking price plus his lower shipping). And you can have him simply leave off the back panel of the enclosed trailer (that can't cost any extra, I am sure), and then the open back can be "closed" with a pickup truck gate net (or they make aluminum ones) like this:

http://www.carcoverguys.com/gatornet.jpg

Then using removeable ramps can get anything you want on the trailer.

http://www.atvramps.com/folding_dual_ramps.htm

Tons better than an expensive and rattling (I know, I had one) drop down ramp. The thing rattled like a banshee and I never converted it to a kayak trailer because of the drop down gate (which I would have removed anyhow and done the system I mention to you above, that's how I know about it), and it was too short at 5x6, and I would have had to weld on a T bar on the tongue plus extend the tongue, and even after all that, the thing (which was a Pace trailer, onme of the best brands for utility trailers) would still have to have removeable cross bars for the kayaks, reinforced so the bars are stable (like the bed metal plate on the Mcintosh), and by the time I was all done desiging and pricing it with a welder, I decided to sell the trailer and get McIntosh trailer as it was better in every regard. Plus, the resale would be better as it is still cheaper than most other "name brand" kayak trailers. SO you'll get your coin back.

As for the saddles, you wil need to buy those for any trailer.

Just more thoughts from the peanut gallery.

PS did you search "utility trailer" on eBay yet? Tons of models to pick from. The "good ones" new (you want new, or near new) will run you $900-1k before kayak specific mods.

Yes CD1 I looked

– Last Updated: Jun-12-08 12:13 PM EST –

Yes CD1 believe me I have looked on Ebay and at every trailer brand and kayak dealer in the USA I think. Everyone seems to sell a similar utility type trailer that would have to be modified. I considered a John boat type trailer which would be the cheapest to modify by adding uprights and cross arms. My only reservation there is the front kayak support would have to be sitting on the tongue itself. There would be no side to side support for the upright especially when carrying only one yak off center. That just seems unstable to me and it has no cargo carrying capacity like a modified utility trailer.

Right now I have been looking at 4x8 and 5x8 trailers and having one modified but I have yet to find someone locally with a trailer knowledge that I would feel safe doing the work. Anyone can just weld but I want to make sure it is safe in design as well as function. I want to make sure the way they extend the tongue is safe.

I am in contact with several custom trailer builders at the moment. It remains to be seen at this point whether they can build me a trailer at a reasonable cost point. I am still waiting for estimates.

My issue is there are not many trailer dealers or custom trailer shops around here. All the online custom trailer dealers are either on the east coast or out west it would seem and shipping costs would be prohibitive. All my discussions are via email or phone which is not the best way to design a trailer.

One thing about me is I have to see something before I buy it. I do not do well with paying $2000 for something I can't see in person. Thus far I have lots of ideas but have yet been able to actually see a modified trailer setup of any kind in person. It appears the cornfields of Illinois are not the mecca for kayaking and equipment dealers. I found a custom dealer near Rockford, IL. that seems promising. I will be taking a road trip there this weekend I hope.

I will keep looking and come up with something I am sure. It can't cost that much to put a couple upright T-bars on a utility trailer bed and in the end that is really all I need.

And CD1 if you are waiting "anxiously" for my trailer choice then you really need to get a hobby or something......lol....just kidding my friend!

The kayak trailer saga continues...

Hy_ you are doing your homework.

– Last Updated: Jun-12-08 1:21 PM EST –

I gotta laugh, because I know precisely what you are going thru with the trailer hunt because I did the same exact thing in 2007. You know how mine ended up, and I really have no issue with buying what I cannot see (as long as I have pics and reviews). But I hear you, Don.

Rockford trip sounds like a good idea. Hey, after all this, just so long as you actually get a trailer, we're all (the Pnetters) cool with hanging in there and watching your trial and tribulations. If you come back and say "I'm gonna get a roof rack", we're gonna puke.

The offer still stands to camp together in tarps with sig others if you get the Mc. If you get something else with 12 inch wheels, axles hotter than flint, and rattling fenders and gate, well, then you'll have to Ut Camp alone as you won;t be able to keep up. :-) lol

We may have a central IL contingent going to Indiana Dunes to yak this August, keep it peeled on Getting Together. And you should meet Bruce omn Pnet, he's in yuour neck of the woodsd and paddles the Skokes.

Ciao, ragazzo. Keep posting. Snapo some pics of whatever the latest iteration trailer that you see in Rockford. We all need a good guffaw. :-)

c YA, hY_

More photos of trailer stuff
Hy, I decided to post to Pnet rather than e-mail the photos to you as you requested, because this subject comes up fairly often. This way, others can view them from the photo gallery and archives.

You can go to my gallery and view full details in the text there. I also added a photo of the homemade cradles for my S&G boat.

The three photos shown here are all from May 2006, when the trailer had the padded 2x4 crossbars with homemade cradles strapped to them.

Thanks for the pics

– Last Updated: Jun-12-08 8:52 PM EST –

Thank you so much for the pics. Like they say a pic is worth 1000 words.

How long is that yak it looks like a Tsunami 140

It’s a Tempest 165: 16.5 feet long
Overhangs are roughly equal on front and rear. My husband’s 17-footer goes on fine, and I’m not worried about the 17.5-footer I’m getting soon. For a really long boat, like 19’, I’d be worried about jackknifing. But neither of us will ever buy a boat that long.

hy_t: you make one/have it made?

my trailer
http://picasaweb.google.com/BrazilBrasil1/KayakTrailer

one made to fit on a jon boat trailer so it does actually double duty. It is an outdoor rack when you take it off the trailer, or a regular kayak trailer with room for lots of boats. I like the versatility of being able to slap the jon boat on for a river camping trip or fishing trip with my son or to have a kayak trailer when I need one. I could not justify buying a specific kayak trailer.

Paul

Here’s one to use as a model, hy-tek.
http://tinyurl.com/3hnqep

I don;t really “get it” as to what they’re trying to do with slanted bars, though. And the price is high for what it is.