neoprene skirt recommendations

I need to get a new skirt to fit a new boat. I love my existing skirt (an “Openwater” by Immersion Research), largely due to the pocket sewn into the deck. A rep from that company told me that other’s who had it also loved it but it didn’t sell very well (in general, I was told the company had seen a very pronounced decrease in demand for feature-rich touring-specific skirts) and so it was discontinued. Anyhow, I guess I am not so knowledgeable about skirts even though I’ve had quite a few. Am I correct in thinking that water does not infiltrate through the neoprene and that any water entry during rolling is due to water coming in through the tunnel or past the seal between the skirt and the coaming. If neoprene is indeed completely impermeable, I would want a light (thin) skirt. What would the point of a thick skirt be? It seems like it would just add weight. If a major source of water entry is past the seal between the coaming and the skirt, are there any features (e.g., rand vs bungee) or brands that do an especially good job at minimizing that. I once had a skirt that was very difficult to remove even when I was sitting in my yard. I considered it a serious safety hazard and would rather have one that pops off easily enough as opposed to being very dry, if that is the trade off. So anyway, does anyone have any skirts that they are especially fond of and would recommend?

I’ve used a number to neo spray decks include Seals (rubber rand and bungee); Snapdragon and IR. Currently I have a strong preference for Immersion Research’s Klingon or Klingon Empire, which I have been using for the last four years. I have the Empire with a bungee perimeter. I would strongly suggest one only use a randed deck on a poly boat for safety sake. A randed deck will be a b!tch to remove from a composite coaming.
A rubber rand will be more water tight, but the IR bungee deck is no slouch. The bungee allows me to use the same deck on both my composite and poly sea kayaks. The little perimeter “skirt” that lays outside the bungee on the Klingon deck helps keep the water out. At a recent pool session using my poly boat and Klingon deck I rolled 60+ times and threw in some deep sculling and bracing. Yes, water eventually seeped in the cockpit, but the kayak was still quite manageable.

In the pool I suspect a bit of the water was coming in around the tunnel. On open water I normally use either a dry suit or shorty jacket both which have double skirts to mate with the spray deck tunnel. In the pool I wear a simple neo long-sleeved top, which has no built-in skirt, so it allows for more water seepage.

Fwiw, my Klingon Empire deck was purchased from Marshall at The River Connection.

You didn’t say what your boat was.

It seems that thicker neoprene is more waterproof. maybe the stretching causes little holes or tears in thinner? Or wear and tear? or chlorine from poo sessions? Not sure what, but I do find that neoprene skirts can seep through after aging.

Randed skirts are not recommended for composite boats. They can sometimes stick on the combing.

I’ve used Seals for a while. Many of there skits have tabs on them, which allow for one to add a gear pocket they make onto the skirt. maybe that would be a replacement for the pocket which you had?

Thanks for the input. I did neglect to say what I am paddling. It’s a composite touring boat (a Necky Chatham 17). My new boat will be a Sterling composite. TVCrider, the Klingon sounds interesting. Their website indicates it’s for play boating and river running, but seems like you are using it for touring. I wonder why they are limiting their market. Who wants extra water in their boat. Anyway, thanks for the leads.

I have a Klingon, but I use it rarely. It is certainly watertight, but it’s hard as hell to get on. My go-to is a Snap Dragon all neo which, for me, is the perfect combo of easy-on/easy-off but still dry and reliable.

I once borrowed a rubber rand skirt (first paddle of the season, thought I had forgotten my skirt, was just stashed in the front hatch) and pulled off the front of my combing on my composite boat trying to get the skirt off. Be careful the rubber rands are meant for plastic ww boats.
Have had pretty good luck with Seals skirts. The Reed Chilleater stuff looks pretty sweet as well.

@RLL said:
I have a Klingon, but I use it rarely. It is certainly watertight, but it’s hard as hell to get on. My go-to is a Snap Dragon all neo which, for me, is the perfect combo of easy-on/easy-off but still dry and reliable.

We each have our own individual experiences and preferences. I don’t find the IR Klingon to be difficult to install on either my composite or poly boats. I’m no Gorilla Monsoon. I have moderate strength, weigh in at 150 pounds, and I’m over 60.

In choosing a Klingon deck one needs to be sure they select the proper size. IR decks are sized by circumference. From my experience a Klingon Large fits the following: P&H Cetus LV/MV; Scorpio LV/MV; P&H Aries; P&H Delphin; Valley Avocet RM; North Shore Polar/Ocean and a host of others. I suspect the Large would be the correct size for a Necky Chatham.

The Seals randed skirt that I used on my poly sea kayak for a number of years was easily the hardest spray deck I’ve ever installed. Ease of installation did not increase as the deck got older. Last season the Seals rand tore. I considered replacing it with another randed deck. As I mulled it over I started using the Klingon on my plastic boat to great effect and I’m going to stay with it.

I’ve owned at least three Snapdragons and an equal number of Seals decks over the last 15+ years. I also had a Reed Chillcheater. They are all capable spray skirts, but simply do not provide as nearly a dry a ride as the Klingon.

I like snap Dragon. Thick neo will last longer if you’re doing rescues and dragging other boats on your combing.

@Gs96c599@aol.com said:
I like snap Dragon. Thick neo will last longer if you’re doing rescues and dragging other boats on your combing.

Yep, repeated boat-over-boat rescues will shred a Reed Aquatherm deck.