New Bungee Cord Question

Perimeter line is meant to be loose enough to easily grab with a cold wet gloved hand.

If the line is close to the deck and tight (which keeps it from flapping around and making noise), then beads in the line as shown by Brian above make sense. I’ve seen small cat’s paw type knots used for this too. I just have mine loose - the straps during transport seems to keep them from flapping, and on the water it doesn’t seem to be a problem.

2 Likes

The issue is mainly when the water is cold and you’re either wearing gloves or your hands are getting cold and stiff. Trying to pick a thin cord off the deck of a boat in an emergency becomes a significant challenge - and risk - whether the lines are taught or not. That’s the main reason I elevate mine off the deck. There may be better methods than the wooden balls I use now. They’re just a relatively easy and very inexpensive solution.

I don’t have a better method, I just have perimeter lines that are kind of fat and loosely strung - that seems to make them easy to use. I do like the wood beads - in addition to being functional, I find them stylish in the kayak sense.

What are you using for replacement perimeter lines? Any recommendations, or suggestions of type/material to use? I think some new boats come with reflective perimeter lines.

Topkayaker has lines for perimeter, both reflective and not, as well as shock cord in a few sizes.
Just redid a Carolina and about to redo a Tsunami.

Annapolis Canoe and Kayak has very good bungee. Anyone living near Harrisburg, PA can find quality bungee, perimeter lines and deck fittings at Blue Mountain Outfitters. I travel there from Baltimore because I like the store and the people.

Someone somewhere recommended Polyester rope for the perimeter rope. I purchased it from SGT KNOTS which seems to have a decent selection and good explanations of different rope types and their usages. For the perimeter I bought:

SGT KNOTS Solid Braid Dacron Polyester Rope - 1/4 inch - Black

For bungee cord I bought:

SGT KNOTS Marine Grade Dacron Polyester Shock Cord - 1/4 inch

I have no relationship to this vendor other than as a one time customer.

2 Likes

Yes, you definitely want polyester cord, not Nylon. Nylon absorbs water and expands when it gets wet, allowing lines to go slack. Polyester does not. Nylon is also more prone to UV damage than polyester.

I buy my cord and bungee from Neocorp in RI: https://www.neocorp.com/rope-bungee
I much prefer the texture of their bungee to the slick stuff that’s more widely available.

1 Like

Lines with 3M reflective tracer woven in show up great. Knots & Ropes sells it.

1 Like

Google Photos

Did the same on my Tiderace and it turned out pretty well.

Looks good.

Mine is an 20 year old plastic boat, so it is not that pretty.

Is this someone with no skill can do, I bought a older Dagger that should have the deck lines replaced, it is a spare kayak for when an extra shows up but will be used in the Delaware Bay so I think the lines should be replaced, does it make sense to have a shop do this or is it a take your time do it your self type of job. TIA

Just do it! Order some decent 3/16" bungee and get busy.

It is very easy. The hardest part for me was finding the supplies. There are several posts above with links to places that sell what you need.

I used 1/4 inch bungee, which barely fit. So measure what you have now, and maybe take a few pictures to remember how it was before you started.

The last time I bought bungee, the shop seared the sheath with a “long” butane lighter before cutting the sheath, and it kept the end from unraveling.

1 Like