new car?

Toyota Echo …
…except they don’t make them any longer or at least they don’t sell them in the US. I haul a 16’ kayak on mine - it’s actually longer than the car. I get in the low 40 mpg range without the boat and close to 40 mpg with the boat. I had a Corolla as a loaner when I was getting new tires on the Echo and liked it a lot as a commuter car (which is what I use my Echo for, mostly). It got high 30 mpg with no boat. And it’s a Toyota so if you drive them into the ground like I do then you’ll have something that probably won’t ever require major repairs.

Ford Escape
Would never have thought about this one until a friend bought one. Great little vehicle.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/escape/

2nd vote fot the escape
have an 07 w/50k 4cyl runs great and paid under 20k.

no problem hauling boats and plenty of room inside.

Used Saab 95 wagon
4cyl light pressure turbo. Very good mileage, can sleep a plus-6 footer comfortable. Get factory rails with thule bars. 4 snows and front wheel drive go anywhere in weather. Ride/handling is excellent, nice luxury features. Avoid Aero models. Thirstier and more expensive to fix.

Volvo XCountry wagon could work too.

Matrix?
its the same as the cheaper Pontiac Vibe. Just a different badge.

Buy American
In these troubled times we need to buy american products as often as possible. Just my 2 cents.

higlander
is too tall

how do you like the VUE?
I’ve always thought that was a nice american alternative to small japanese SUVs…what makes you not want another one?

Ford Explorer
Andy consider the Ford Explorer - I love mine, and father just got a 2009 that he loves. While mileage is not excellent, you can’t beat the interior cargo room and ability to haul with this vehicle. Ford has been offering lots of incentives on them lately, and you get one in the mid to low 20’s new. You’d be amazed to see what I’ve fit in mine.

GM CEO disagrees
Fritz Henderson disagreed with this sentiment on sunday’s Meet the Press.

if you buy an escape
get a 2005 or newer. The older models had numerous recalls (10 for the 1st year, rushed to market just like the focus).

Andy
You may find that the new Forester isn’t too small after all. The latest model is larger than the older ones - I was told it’s build on the Legacy chassis now rather than the Impreza.

Gnatcatcher

More fun than anything listed. Audi!!
You can pick up an used low milage 06-07 Audi A3 for under 25k. The only thing in you list I don’t think you can do (none of others listed either) is probably sleep in it. Unless you don’t mind reclining the front seat to almost flat.

You can get factor rail, but they are not worth it. I have Yakima racks with no issues. The 2.0T 4 cyl gets about 30-32 highway and 22 around town. Fit and finish are excellent and it’s the perfect daily driver when kayaks are not on top. The Audi A4 of the same years has the same front and rear passenger space with more storage being a true wagon instead of a hatch. But the extra weight does not make it as fun to drive. Here a a couple of pics of her in working mode.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f286/kayaker10/DSC01897.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f286/kayaker10/DSC01900.jpg

subaru outback deals right now
I just bought a new 09 Subaru Outback 2 weeks ago. It seems to meet all your needs. My wife has the Forester and the Outback is about 3" lower & easier to load boats.

Subaru has $2000 rebates + 2.9% financing (yes, its combined - not pick one or t’other). Subaru is about to introduce the newly-designed 2010 Outback (slightly larger) & that is the reason for these deals. Many people prefer to buy the last year of a vehicle generation rather than the first year of the new design. The Special Edition trim line is the “sweet spot” and can be bought for about $21K (base models less). Compare pricing at www.fitzmall.com - maybe the cheapest prices around.

mpg report
oops - forgot to add that my first 2 tanks got 28.3 mpg (calculated) - varying speed during break-in period. I expect that to increase slightly once broken-in. I can’t complain about that for an AWD vehicle.

American Made??
Don’t always judge a book by its cover or in this case, by the name on the trunk or hood ornament.

Consider:

*One of the best-selling passenger cars in the United States is a Japanese car, the Toyota Camry. But the “imported” Camry is actually built in America at Toyota’s plant in Kentucky.

*Ford’s best-selling F-Series pickup, meanwhile, is built at a plant in Cuautitlán Izcalli, Mexico, as well as in other plants throughout North America.

*GM’s popular Chevy Tahoe and GMC Yukon SUVs are also assembled south of the border at GM’s Toluca, Mexico, plant as well as in Arlington, Texas.

*GM and Chrysler also have assembly plants in Saltillo, aka the “Detroit of Mexico”.

*German automaker BMW has a large assembly plant in Spartanburg, S.C., where the 3 Series Sport Sedan, Z4 Roadster and X5 Sport-ute are built.

*Honda has six facilities in Ohio, including plants in Anna, East Liberty and Marysville, where the Accord, Civic, and Element SUV are built.

*I drive a 2002 Chevy Prizm, which is really a Toyota Corolla.

*A Pontiac Vibe is a Toyota Matrix.

*Nissans are manufactured in Smyrna, Tennessee.

*Ford is partnered with Mazda; both the Ranger Pickup and Escape SUV have cousins in the Mazda B-Series pickup and Tribute SUV. Is one more American than the other?

*The Ford Flex, Edge, and Lincoln MKX are assembled in Oakville, Ontario, Canada.

*The Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car are built in St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada.

*Ford uses hybrid technology licensed from Toyota in its hybrid Escape(Tribute) SUV.

*And then you have the Volvo S80 and Ford Taurus (formerly Ford Five Hundred), which share the same genes. But than again, Ford bought Volvo Cars from The Volvo Group in 1999.

*The Volvo Group of Gothenburg, Sweden owns Mack Truck and Prevost(luxury motor coaches)of America.

*The Chrysler 300 shares its underlying platform (but not its engines) with the Mercedes-Benz E-Class sedan.

*Chrysler, formerly owned by Daimler, is soon to be owned by FIAT (Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino).

*Subarus are built in Indiana.

At this point I’m sure you get the picture…

But, the profits from “imports” go to foreign corporations! Not exactly, every “import” manufactured in America is a publicly traded company. The share holders reap the profits. If you own an IRA, 401(k), or 403(b) retirement plan then you, too, are probably a shareholder in these corporations.

So that begs the question, if an American car is made outside the country and an import car is made here, should you consider both of them American?

American Made?
I also had an 02 Prizm = Corolla & recently gave it to my daughter as a reward for getting all A’s her first 3 years of HS. I don’t believe in giving kids cars - but in her case, I think she earned it. The Vibe & Matrix are now made in the same plant at Fremont CA as the old Prizm - Corolla.

I have a Subaru Outback, wife has a Forester, and son has a Legacy - all made in Indiana.

My Chevy truck was made in Canada and my wife’s former Buick Rendezvous was made in Mexico - so much for American “brands”.

Gunney makes an interesting point
I feel so confused…

Mazda 5
My wife and I are also in the market for a new vehicle and we have decided on the Mazda 5. Don’t have it yet, but from everything we have seen, it will suit our needs the best. Gets good gas mileage, can throw the kayaks on the roof, and has plenty of room inside.

Good luck with your search.

Ford Taurus
We have a 2003 Ford Taurus… it has about 120K on it. We can sleep in it, and easily slip two bikes into the back. It took us from Arizona up to Montana and over to Seattle this winter when the weather was -20…

We have gotten 25 MPG on the highway!! Its comfy and easily carries two kayaks on top although I have seen a picture with four ontop!!

The newer Ford Taurus has been redesigned and looks like it has even more room.