New Eddyline: Samba

weight comparisons
so many factors there. the seat, for one thing, in an Eddyline is bigger & more robust than the standard one in all the Hurricanes (talking the seat - butt - not the backbands which do vary. And the hatchcovers too for sure. Companies look to (safely) shave every pound in the footpegs, seam, etc.

both companies use a thermoformed plastic that they state is unique to them… Eddyline calls theirs Carbonlite 2000, for Hurricane it’s Trylon. It’s very hard to sort out if these are indeed significantly chemically different, even if made in the same plant there could be production runs w. diff specs.

As to thickness I’d like to see a piece of sheet Carbonlite edge to edge w. a piece of Trylon but aside from two shattered boats (a very sad thought) I don’t expect to ever see that.

In the meantime these are two great kayak builders founded by real paddlers. Now even Valley is getting into the thermoform market w. the new version of the Avocet LV (not in U.S. yet AFAIK).

measurements
were on the actual boat… I also measured the outside of the coaming to be 35"x18" max (32.5x16" inside), the overall length is 161.5", and the max width about 22.75". The actual height at the highest point (front of the coaming) is a hair under 13". I think 14.5" is an error on the website (and I’m pretty sure the molds did not change on any of the Tsunamis for 2010, only the hatches).

If you want I’ll take it off the rack and weigh it (I’m curious to double-check the website specs for my other Tsunamis too), I find it fairly easy to load solo. The nice thing about this boat is it’s affordable plastic and you can rough it up in places you wouldn’t take more expensive kayaks. Plus it’s quick!

Seats
I’m pretty sure the Hurricane seat weighs more than the Eddyline, plus it’s more comfortable.

Merlin XT stability

– Last Updated: Aug-07-10 4:47 PM EST –

Yup, I had one too. I heard from a reliable source that the Merlin XT was discontinued due to the stability issue. Advanced kayakers found it stable. Others didn't.

The Merlin hull is not the same as the Fathom. They are very different. Sharp V, soft chine, full ends vs shallow V, hard chine, low-volume ends. Must be a reason why there are more kayaks with the shallow V than sharp V. BIG difference on the water.

A ton of room for the bigger paddler? It really depends on the model. Merlin, Journey, and others yes; Fathom no.

I agree about the beautiful deck architecture. :-))

Thanks for that
I was concerned about having to put a 300 lb kayak up on my car.

I agree
Forgot about the chine. Obviously that’s a big difference. And I could have added to: the shift to backbands.

well, you say it’s heavy
I had to ask myself, “Which number is he looking at?”

spot on comments bowrudder
really excellent observations.

Eddyline boats have been firmly in the category of tall, beamy, large cockpitted (is that a word LOL) North American style boats. Which is why none of them fit me or suit me, come to think of it.

The lower deck on the Fathom is perhaps the start of a “sea change” in their designs.

The Merlin LT is in no way tippy or for “advanced” paddlers. 23.5" beam is as stable as a table and the V hull is very moderate, for example, it’s only seen in part of the boat’s forefoot and doesn’t extend down the belly of the boat.

I know several people who started in them and are now happily paddling Romanys, Tempests, Capellas etc. The LT is close to the spittin’ image of the Tampico 135S (or vice versa) and the Tampico is a favorite choice of several local schools for beginner classes. It was my second kayak after a month in a rec boat meaning I had a whole 4 weeks experience.

OP hope you have fun demoing. It would be fun for you (and interesting for this thread) if you could demo a Merlin LT (which is still for sale at a number of Eddyline dealers and still in their catalog) and a Tampico 135S and tell us what you think.

Either boat at 41-43 lbs is quite manageable. Either one will make you forget the Skylark! or the Santee! You will have a boat that can do so much more and the extra length, with a good forward stroke, will give you more glide per stroke with less effort.

Fathom has been around for at least

– Last Updated: Aug-07-10 4:42 PM EST –

5 years, and most (not all) of the current Eddylines are based on that shape.

If you're saying that the Merlin LT is a different shape than the XT, that's interesting.

The LT is still at the website. Has it been discontinued?

Non, je n’ai pas dit cela
Eddyline weighs more than Hurricane, that’s all. Nothing wrong with 43 lbs for the Samba; nice weight.

You got me curious
about the Merlin LT hull so I did some checking. I was told by a knowledgeable source that the Merlin LT is still being produced but is being phased out due to complaints about the cockpit being placed too far back, and subsequently the bow being pushed/blown about too much. I was also told that the hull is a moderate V, not a deep V like the XT. Finally, the source said that the Samba was designed to replace the Merlin LT. That makes sense and explains the dimensions of the Samba.

Samba Kayak
Hey there, in response to your question about eddyline weights. I know that they weigh their kayaks will all hatches and bungees installed where as many other companies don’t. Secondly having delt with Delta Kayaks Roit kayaks and Current design kayaks in thermoform in the past, I can honestly say that Eddylines product is so much stiffer and rugged. As for the width, I think for a smaller paddler it should be quite stable, looks like they wanted a small journey. I have not got to paddle it but I look forward to seeing how it does.

Valley VCP
Valley VCP s are available in the US , at least here on the West Coast. If interested you can contact Rob at kayakkraft for more information. They are made at the Eddyline factory just like the Rockpool Alaw Bach TCC that I distribute. As a matter of fact they just shipped several back to the UK to show at Kanumesse in Germany in October.

Falcon

Samba and Equinox
So, what’s a “small paddler”? I’m 5’ 10", 160 lbs, and recently purchased an Eddyline Skylark for recreational paddling. Very happy with it, and now that my wife loves the boat, too, I may let her have the Skylark and get either a Samba or Equinox, figuring it would be just a little longer/faster without adding much weight penalty.

The Equinox seems almost identical in concept with the Skylark, just a bit larger, but the Samba is apparently a little more of a racehorse. Would this be difficult for me to fit in, given my size? For a new paddler – on protected waters – would the Samba be tippy? Just a little concerned about the width, otherwise it seems perfect on paper.

Thanks.

Paddlers are tippy
or tipsy. Boats just sit there.

Seriously, the normal way to grow as a paddler is to take some chances on stability only to find a short time later that the boat is just fine.

Tippiness

– Last Updated: Aug-30-10 10:17 AM EST –

I have not paddled the Samba but have an almost idenitcally specified Perception Sonoma 13.5 that is about 22" wide. It is listed at 41 lb weight in the Airalight layup and feels about right there. I see these on the used market for $5-600 and I consider this a very decent deal on a kayak that is actually fun to paddle. Only real drawback is the lack of front bulkhead (can add one) and no skeg. The Samba has "proper" bulkheads I think both fore and aft and also a skeg, right?. "Short" boats like that are really easy to paddle and maneuverable and fun when the water gets choppy too.

I'm willing to guess the Samba is probably a little more stable than the Sonoma I have. The Sonoma is just about as stable as most 21-22" "full-length" (15-18 foot) sea kayaks, more stable than some, less stable than others. I consider it a relatively stable boat for me.

However, it is a lot tippier than 25" recreational "barges" and most notably has a lively character. Meaning that it feels tippy but gains stability as you tip further.

I am 6'4" and 180-185lb and fit just fine in the Sonoma. The Samba should be similar and you should have no problem fitting in it, I hope.

If you are a relative beginner, it will probably feel tippy for a few days, then it will be just fine. It seems to have a really spacious cockpit that for you should likely allow seat first entry. The hore deck seems rather high - see if that's an obstruction for you or not. Looks like a very nice boat that has everything a "sea kayak" should have. Weight is also reasonable.

Stiffness compared
I’ve paddled several Deltas and owned the Current Designs Kestrel 140 in thermoform. Although Eddyline is my favorite, I believe the Delta plastic is every bit as rigid and rugged as Eddyline’s, and I had no complaint with the Kestrel plastic either.

Not ready for a sea kayak?
I think your first step is to choose the type of kayaking you want to do, and then how you want to feel in the boat (stability) and in the cockpit (comfort). With the Samba, at your height it will be a little harder to get in and out due to the shorter length of the cockpit compared to what you have now. For most people the Samba cockpit would be considered to have sea dimensions, but for a small person that might be a recreational fit.

I wouldn’t call you a small paddler, at 5’10", although you are slim. I think your height will factor into your perception of stability in a short, narrow kayak like the Samba.

The Samba can be predicted to feel very different from the Equinox. Personally I found the Equinox quite slow and bulky. For someone as slim as you, the Equinox definitely has a recreational fit in the cockpit. Fabulous stability, but the price for that is lost speed.

If you’re ready to step up to a sea kayak the Fathom should fit you quite well. For you the Journey would also be a large fit in the cockpit, but something to try just for comparison.

So your choices are the Samba, Equinox, Journey, and Fathom. Each of those should feel quite different to you. Try 'em all and let us know what you think!

Thought I’d Resurrect This Thread
Because I finally was able to paddle the Eddyline Samba today, and bought one. It was pretty much what I was expecting/hoping for. A little longer and narrower than the Eddyline Skylark I bought last year. Definitely faster and more playful, a little less stable, but felt at home on it right away. Best of all, it only weighs two pounds more than the Skylark, so it’s an easy carry. At 5" 10", it just fits me – any taller and I think it might feel cramped. Will write review later after I’ve lived with it for a while, but at the moment I think I found exactly what I was looking for. Will need to play around with backband adjustment to find the sweetspot.

I was able to test paddle a Fathom LV a while back, but unfortunately there were 25+ knots of wind blowing and I spent much of the time just trying to keep upright. At 21", it’s the narrowest kayak I’ve paddled (still new to all this). I suspect under calmer conditions I would have liked it a lot. Maybe next year …