New Eddyline: Samba

-- Last Updated: Aug-06-10 9:36 AM EST --

Brand new Eddlyine just added to the website: the Samba. Looks perfect for a smaller person.

Specs:

Length: 13.8
Width: 22.5
Weight: 43 lbs.
Cockpit: keyhole 31.5 x 16.5
Capacity: 300
Stability: Medium

Width seems pretty narrow for that length, hence the "medium" stability. Wonder why they didn't make it 23" or 24"---would still be sleeker than the bulky Equinox.

Anyone know why Eddylines are a bit heavy for thermoformed? Thicker material than others?

Thermoform
Eddyines are not composite, they are a hard dense plastic (thermoform) that they refer to as carbonlite. 43 lbs for the Samba does not sound like a heavy carry. Cute mid-touring boat. Looks like the Fathom, just shrunken down.

short not clunky

– Last Updated: Aug-04-10 6:21 PM EST –

Looks like a shorter boat that isn't also a bit clunky -- seems like a cool niche.
Edited: not so "transitional"

another one to consider

Here’s the specs, it a rotomolded boat.

Length: 13’ 6"

Width: 23"

Max Capacity: 275 lbs.

Deck Height: 14.5"

Weight: 50 lbs.

Cockpit Length: 35"

Cockpit Width: 18.5"

two bulkheads, three hatches.

I think it’s great smaller person boat.

Guess what it is?

Tsunami 135?
is that another one of those “sea recreational” yaks, lol

yeah that’s it
But when you replace the Barcalounger back with a WS back band, and add the WS hip pads, it’s a nice sea kayak for smaller people. My friend easily keeps pace with the longer boats in it, where in a 16.5’ boat of the same width she struggled.

Those category names can sometimes lead people away from a boat that is very capable.

great-looking and able-looking Samba
That’s a terrific looking small boat. And the reason for the weight, I suspect, is the two bulkheads. But the weight is still reasonable. A small person could hop in the Samba and go places! (And roll.)

g

I like it
This category of boat seems to sit in a niche that is not dissimilar to the Vela compared to most (sea kayak) day boats. The diff is that the Samba (and Tsunami 135 then) sit under the under the longer transitional boats (OK, I still like that term) in length. And, big diff, the newer crop of small and short boats across all of the lines (P&H’s new Aries and Depphin, Alchemy S and above) have full sea kayak features.

Personally I love the idea of having a boat with Vela-like features such as the harder chine, full outfitting and decently narrow width in a package that is two feet shorter. Aside from having to put someone on the back deck for a carry, this could be a very fun and spritely boat.

Tampicos
hey Dave, the Tampico 135S is only 42 lbs, has a smaller cockpit than referenced there, really good thighbraces, and the backband is low. The barcalounger is on the 135L and 140L, and the cockpit is without thigh braces to make for easy entry and exit.

All the Tampicos, of course, have dual bulkheads and two hatches.

I know the 135S very well as I had one for several years. It was a very nice “transitional” boat for learning rescues, braces, strokes, etc. There are folks that roll it using the nicely appointed thigh braces but I was not one of them '-)

The 140S and 140L, besides being longer, feature full perimeter deck lining and a slightly higher bow that makes the ride less wet (and for me, when I tried the 140S, less fun). The 140 series is also quite tracky, which will appeal to people that want that.

Woops, typo
Meant to say “thermoformed.”

Hold on there
That ain’t no “smaller person boat.”

First of all, Wilderness Systems lists the weight as 53 lbs, not 50. Any small female is going to grunt and groan putting that up on a car.

Second, a cockpit 18.5" x 35" will fit a person well over 200 lbs.

Third, a deck height of 14.5" is HIGH. A person with larger than average thighs can fit under there—plus a chihuahua, a Jack Russell terrier, and dinner for four.

Right
That’s the comparison I was thinking of. Hurricane is a few pounds lighter than Eddyline. I think it must be the thickness of the material. Plus I think the Eddyline hatch covers are heavy.

Another missing niche
While I love my Eddyline Journey, I would like to have a smaller pond boat/day boat:

13’5"

24" wide (I think you need that width in such a short kayak)

Cockpit 17" x 35" (i.e., transitional sized)

WEIGHT 40 lbs

2 bulkheads

Full deck lines

Thermoformed hatch covers to save weight

Depth 13.5"

In other words, chop one foot off each end of the Journey.

Ahhh . . . that would be perfect. Light, comfortable, and reasonably fast.

I think the above specs would be a better seller for Eddyline than the Samba. People who buy a 13’ kayak are looking for HIGH stability, not medium.

try one on
not sure if all manufacturers take measurements the same way – but the Tsunami 135 is 11" under the deck and 9" behind the seat. 14.5" would be the max outer height to the top of the coaming. the distance between seat to thigh hook is 6" to 7" depending how you adjust them, and the seat pan is 18" wide at the hips without pads added. the inside measurements of the cockpit opening are 32.5x16" and it takes a Seals size 1.7 skirt.

It’s 50 lbs, 53 only if you add a rudder; remember it’s a rotomolded plastic boat that can be had for under $1000.

It’s a great fit for my son at 5’7" and 130# – I’m 5’9" 180# and just fit in it, snugly; can’t imagine anyone bigger fitting into it reasonably.

Thanks for posting this
But I bought the T 135 as a gift, brand new, with the backband, for under $800 last Thanksgiving.

The Hurricanes and the Eddylines are nice, but not really within the budget.

the boat’s not 300 lbs
That’s its capacity. And 43 lbs for a boat is light. And it’s ABS, not composite. And I don’t know who considers a 22 1/2" boat tippy. Maybe it’s not wider because it’s for the smaller paddler. And Eddyline seems to be getting away from that.

Eddyline has always sold the stable boat
Now they’re getting into the interesting boat.

Hmmm . . . a mystery
The specs I quoted were directly from the website. I believe you, if you took those measurements directly. Thanks for the clarification.

No, manufacturers don’t take measurements the same way, especially depth. But surely the coaming isn’t 3.5" high??

Seat pan width is less important than hull width.

Pretty strange the difference between your measurements and the website. I wonder if we’re talking about the same kayak.

Heh heh
Did you ever paddle the Merlin XT?

It looks like they have 2 basic hull shapes, e.g. the Merlin and the Fathom. The recent designs follow the Fathom, so that shape must be working well for them. Works well for me.

I had a Merlin XT and disagree
I think the Merlin IS the Fathom. The only difference is Eddyline has learned moderation: The Merlin had a deep, agressive V hull. The Fathom is shallower.

Not wanting to be left behind, Eddyline, I believe, put their finger to the wind and followed the market. They took the criticism of BCU-types seriously, started knocking the keel off the stern of the boat, and moved the cockpit more towards the center to make for a more symmetrical experience paddling backwards. But the key Eddyline hallmarks are still there: a ton of room for the bigger paddler, an approach to the deck that looks like an interior designer was in charge, and of course ABS (which I personally like).

They moved in the direction of Greenland/Brit boat, a successful formula.