New Elie Sound XE- Will it Sink??

I spent my weekend making my maiden cruise on my “New” Elie Sound 100XE when I remember someone on this forum telling me it will sink if I capsize? Is that true? If so, what do I put in the bow to save my purchase???

most rec boats will not literally sink
…they have enough foam (or rear bulkhead+hatch, or other floatation) that they can not sink, even when completely swamped. (I do not know that particular boat.) The problems are that you can not do a self rescue, and that the boat becomes a load to move or try to get to shore. Difficult to even tow with a power boat.

You can get inflatable floatation bags for the bow and/or stern. Check NRSweb.com, as a start.

Sinking versus rescuable

– Last Updated: Jul-30-13 7:30 AM EST –

Actually, my sister and her husband did have rec boats one of which sunk. But that is an embarrassing story (for them).

What WILL happen is the above - a boat without good flotation in front can swamp with water in a capsize and end up pointing straight down. So if you are out from shore after this event, you are stuck. You can't do squat with that situation by yourself on the water, too much water in the boat.

If you are within easy swimming distance to shore, at least you can get in even if it means abandoning the kayak.

There are ways for other paddlers to help with this one, but that is usually other paddlers in sea kayaks or SOTs with some extra gear that rec boaters don't usually carry. And it is a bear to manage by hand even with all the stuff.

The solution is to put in a float bag up front (or two split ones if it has a pillar) and secure it well.

FWIW, if you take a peek into most WW boats that get serious use, you'll see float bags in there. For the above reason.

check your previous posts

– Last Updated: Jul-30-13 10:32 AM EST –

I told you 2 weeks ago when you first posted your intent to buy the Sound 100 that you ought to buy a flotation bag for the bow (and I explained exactly what could happen if you did not use one). Did you miss that response?

For future purchase advice, you can often get a discount on such items when you buy them from the dealer at the same time as the kayak. They are available at kayaking outfitters (not usually at the Big Box sports stores) or on line from outdoor retailers or Ebay. Expect to pay around $30 to $40 for a good one. When in doubt about sizing, go for the larger one. You need not fully inflate the bag -- it will mold to the space inside the hull to fill it. Do tie it inside the hull somehow (usually somewhere on the foot peg support system works) or it can dislodge and float out in a capsize

I use flotation bags in 3 of my kayaks because they are skin-on-frame types with no bulkheads. I never paddle without them. Another piece of advice about using them that you should commit to memory -- don't leave the float bag fully inflated when the boat is on your roofrack, sitting out of the water in the sun or in storage in a hot garage -- if it is inflated fully in high temps the air can expand and rupture a seam. I had to mend one myself to learn my lesson. Just make it a habit to open the valve on the bag after every outing. They are not hard to use -- the valves are on a long piece of flexible tubing so they are easy to reach from the cockpit.

Another temporary option that is cheap but takes a little work, is to use hard foam pool noodles (the bright colored 6' hollow "macaroni" tubes sold at variety and sports stores for kids to use in pools), DON'T use other foam (like pipe insulation) because those kinds absorb water. You can bend one or two noodles in half and shove deep into the bow, then cut another in short sections and duct tape or tie them together to fill in the middle area. All of these also need to be tied together and securely fastened inside the kayak. They are easy to cut with a serrated steak knife or knife for slicing bread or frozen food. Obviously, you would trim the noodles back so they did not interfere with your feet.

The point is to displace as much area inside the hull as possible so it can't fill with water.

It wont sink
Like others have said it wont sink. I did a quick search on that kayak and it appears it has a rear sealed hatch. But it will take on enough water up front to make it not a kayak you will be able to get back into. Not to mention it doesn’t appear to have deck rigging in the back just bunjee type cord.

I mention this as I just had a bunch of rec kayakers at the beach as part of a meetup group and found it very hard to use a paddle float if the kayak doesn’t have deck rigging but just bunjee cord. Not to mention the cockpits were so LARGE on these rec kayaks a standard Heel and Hook paddle float re-entry wasn’t possible as you couldn’t hook your foot into the kayak on most of these rec kayaks.

Add a float bag in front and dont wander off shore more than you could swim and you will be fine. Always and I mean always wear your PFD.