New Family boat suggestions

We have a pamlico pro

– Last Updated: Jun-29-04 1:38 PM EST –

and we dig it. We lean it on turns, it feels really solid. We only do flat water but when my daughter cans swim better well do a bit more in it.

A libra xt (used) would be great but still more expensive than a plastic pamlico. At 29 inches wide she'll be no speed demon, but she is a sea kayaks.

The only reason we went kevlar is that four years and five boats ago (net, 8 purchased and three sold) my wife said "You'll never go paddling if you have to lift that plastic boat on the car yourself." Solo loading the largest plastic pamlico is doable for someone who know how and I know you do.

A pygmy osprey triple would be a delight! and affordable. I thought I would build one about now but the world of work and moving away from my big garage has taken that dream out for me right now.

I know a family who spends a lot of time in a nookta plus (or something like) that from necky. Have to improvise a seat in the cargo hatch though.

Pygmy boats are tough
and since you are building it you cna talk to them about you needs and get heavire glass or whatever, I enjoyed a standare built artcit tern and I weighed 235 for most of the time I owned it.

YOu will need ot revarnish on occasion but other than that no worries at all. About equivalent to qcc not for rack gardens.

Consider the Phoenix Poke Boat Vagabond
It’s great for solo and tandem. I haven’t tried it with three, but it might work. I found mine used, but I don’t see many advertised.

Mine’s fiberglass, 16’6" and weighs 46lbs. Easy to load on car and paddle. Factory seats aren’t very comfortable, but can be doctored up to be good enough. Very stable and turns easily. Reasonably fast, but not a racer. Good for lakes and rivers.

pokeboat.com

Good luck,

David