New here

Hello everyone! I’m new here and wanted to say howdy! I’ve recently started kayaking and its pretty fun. I come from a hiking/camping background so this is kinda the same but different to me anyway. My first kayak is a Pelican Bandit 100 NXT. I’m wondering though where are some good spots to kayak and camp? Is there an app or something that shows camping spots that would be more specific to kayakers? The apps and maps I use for hiking don’t mesh up all to well with the water hiking, lol! Anyway i’m stoked to be doing this as well and hope to meet some great people like I have on the trail!!

It might be helpful if you let us know where you are located. And moving right along, the subject of your next kayak is sure to arise. Along with that, there will be talk about a proper paddle and then how to use it. The number one most important piece of equipment is your pfd (life jacket). Not all life jackets are equal–if you haven’t already got the right one, you will soon learn that some are specifically for paddling and many are not.

If you are lucky, you might find some enthusiastic friends who are ready and willing to go paddling, but also be prepared for reality. If you like to paddle a lot, be prepared to go alone, but keep it reasonable and safe until you’ve got a whole lot of “sperience”

There is a section on the web site that lists trip reports.

Welcome to a nice community of paddlers. Great place to learn about the sport.

Presuming you’re in the U.S., do an internet search for water trails and you’ll find loads of places to paddle and camp. Since your boat is short and wide, you’ll want to stay on slow moving rivers.

In addition to that life jacket magooch mentioned, you’ll need dry bags to protect your camping gear. Your kayak has a weight limit of 300# so you’ll have to factor in your own weight as well as your gear so you don’t overload your boat.

I use Google Maps and look for lakes around the local area. I also look at Meet UP for kayak clubs and or outfitters and see where they’ve been going (whether I go with them or not). Look of course at the Paddling.com, Go Paddle section.

This is on our schedule. We’ve passed these lakes for years driving up the country. So we are stopping there to camp at one of the camp grounds. I found the camp ground on RVtripwizzard. I think Paddling.com did an article on paddling the Barkley side of the LBL.

Here is a place to go. You don’t say where you are. The Land Between the Lakes is located between the two reseviors(sp?) that form the nation’s biggest man made lakes. There is around 300 miles of coast line with boat ramps, and camp grounds all over the place. You can camp with a “dispersed” camp permit and camp most anywhere along the shore on the US Forestry lands.
Here’s a link of some recreational kayakers camping the shore line. Note…….those are not big wind or waves. But when you take rec boats out they are and you should always pick your weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KIIpgQEbiA

In our sea kayaks we prefer some wind to cut the heat.

Oh yeah forgot to mention that I’m in Savannah GA

@magooch said:
It might be helpful if you let us know where you are located. And moving right along, the subject of your next kayak is sure to arise. Along with that, there will be talk about a proper paddle and then how to use it. The number one most important piece of equipment is your pfd (life jacket). Not all life jackets are equal–if you haven’t already got the right one, you will soon learn that some are specifically for paddling and many are not.

If you are lucky, you might find some enthusiastic friends who are ready and willing to go paddling, but also be prepared for reality. If you like to paddle a lot, be prepared to go alone, but keep it reasonable and safe until you’ve got a whole lot of “sperience”

Sorry forgot to mention i’m in GA

Have you talked to any of these folks?
http://www.savannahcanoeandkayak.com/
Just go in and talk to them about local clubs, paddle locations, trips they offer…………etc…buy something. Like a real paddle PFD. Not the Walmart stuff for tubers.

Or these guys………
https://www.meetup.com/SavannahKayakersandOutdoorAdventurers/

@Overstreet said:
Have you talked to any of these folks?
http://www.savannahcanoeandkayak.com/
Just go in and talk to them about local clubs, paddle locations, trips they offer…………etc…buy something. Like a real paddle PFD. Not the Walmart stuff for tubers.

Or these guys………
https://www.meetup.com/SavannahKayakersandOutdoorAdventurers/

Thank you!! I will check them out. I think I came across some of them the other day while I was out paddling with my daughters! Nice folks!

You are in the center of a paddling paradise, as you are aware. Ga has some great state parks on rivers, as does SC.

@string said:
You are in the center of a paddling paradise, as you are aware. Ga has some great state parks on rivers, as does SC.

Yeah theres lots of water here! lol. Im still learning my way around the waterways( I’m not from Savannah). It has been fun and a learning experience. I’m a hiking trail guy usually.