New Kayak Design Research

Hi everyone, i’m new to this forum, but am completing a Masters in Industrial Design with a boat design background. I am trying to put together user and non-user centric data in the design of new methods and materials for transformable kayaks. More specifically I am focusing on integration and zero assembly, with prototype setup times under 1 minute. I would really appreciate input via the Goolge Form survey link. (it takes approximately 5 minutes to fill out) I will be posting some images of prototypes soon.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1aPg-I5VzLOwjfkMBNvF5OnjaLUFsYnGBHolPuc5Jwnc/viewform?usp=send_form

What?

DO YOU
have anything for FAT people ?

STOP
I had to restart the Dell to continue after entering the link into the link box

Agree with greyhawk

I looked through the survey,
but when I came to the following question, I bailed:

“if you do not own/use a kayak what activities do you perceive to be the most difficult and frustrating?”

Asking a person to GUESS what might be “difficult and frustrating” about a product they do not own and have never used is illogical - unless the question is posed on some screwball game show and you can win a prize.

Misinterpreted a poorly-phrased question

– Last Updated: Jul-18-15 12:23 AM EST –

At least, I'm pretty sure that's what happened. I think the question is asking exactly what it says, but the part about not kayaking led you astray. "We want to know what activities the non-kayakers among you find most difficult and frustrating." If I'm right, the answers might include such things as golf, tennis, or climbing the stairs.

Oh, don't ask me about that stuff in the original post. I'm not sure if this is a stereotypical case of an engineer being unable to express anything in words, or if it's just a case of wackiness.

if you enjoyed
this then you may like

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2949756/emerging-technology/ibm-watsons-next-trick-helping-you-write-better.html?google_editors_picks=true

Non-Kayakers Are Called Potential
In the business world people try to expand their customer base.

or asking why choose not to kayak
Equally silly as asking what they find most frustrating about tennis or golf… but a bad survey question whatever it’s intent.

Not so sure about that

– Last Updated: Jul-18-15 10:55 AM EST –

because the survey and questions relate ONLY to kayaking.

"12a. Which of the associated kayaking activities in question 12 (if other, please specify) do you find most frustrating and why?
"Everyone should answer this question, if you do not own/use a kayak what activities do you perceive to be the most difficult and frustrating?"

Question 12 asks the amount of time spent loading a kayak, transiting a kayak, unloading a kayak, and paddling a kayak. It appears the survey wants to know what non-kayak owners GUESS what might be difficult about a kayak.

When I read the OP's initial post, I think he/she is trying to design something like a pop-up kayak; a lightweight boat that assembles and disassembles quickly and with little participation from the user.

On the other hand, maybe I think too much.

You may be right
I didn’t read the rest of the survey so you have better context than I. I didn’t look at it because I’m not very computer-savy, and that makes me wary of clicking on links in cases where someone posts a notice asking me to.

Whatever the intended meaning of that question, it shows a trend among the people who do these things. This guy is only the latest of about half-a-dozen people supposedly working on graduate-level research projects who have come here asking us to fill out some survey about kayaking in the last several years, and not one of those surveys has been well written or even logically composed. That seems to be the case this time too (I suppose I should have read the whole thing for myself, but you’ve helped me out with that).

then they should say so…

Engineer?

– Last Updated: Jul-18-15 12:39 PM EST –

Hey take it easy, industrial designers are not engineers, generally speaking. And industrial designers do not design boats (not well, I mean), naval architects do that.

The statement above is a mish-mosh of jargon and opaque nonsense, I think. While an engineer can produce nonsense with the best of them, this post is not even up to the technical level of engineer-speak. Sure, he did say 'integration', but not 'optimization'...