New kayak purchase?

Seaward drives into USA then gives KAS hulls to avoid customs.

Want me to pick it up. I’ll give me a reason to stop and vist Steve in Wyoming.

2 Likes

John If he can wait until next spring you could test that kayak for him, OR if you left right away you could too. But I expect the freeze to 'harden" the water soon here. So far so good but when it turns cold it’s probably going to happen fast. Here most years the water gets cold enough to need a thick wet suit and pogies and within about 1 week after that, it’s ice.

Just 3 days ago I got both the DC solar electric well pump AND the wind mill working, so now I could have visitors again. For the last year I have been hauling water, and it’s a bit crass to tell folks they can’t get a real shower here for that time.

We have been "showering’ with a pot of water heating on either the kitchen stove or the wood stove, and pour it over ourselves with a coffee cup. It’s been 11 months, but we FINALLY have running water again. But a long haul, but we got it done. Tomorrow I cope in the cut-outs to take the new well pipe on my well pit covers and also build the decks on the windmill tower, but when those 2 things are done we should be OK for many years.
I have 6 cords of wood to cut up before the snows get here too, so I am going 100 MPH getting ready for winter, but I think I am going to make it ok this year. First snow it being called for tonight. Supposed to get here at 11:00PM and it’s past that time right now, but so far I see nothing white falling. Maybe it will hold off a bit longer.

1 Like

Hey PD52,
“Current Designs just went bye-bye anything can happen”.
Can you elaborate or share a link? I’m playing catch-up (I bet others are too).

I know that you have been a proponent of CD boats for a long time. I own a Prana.

Thank you.

1 Like

Doing more paddling than surfing recently but catching up now. Looks like the brand is staying in Winona and is now owned by Sanborn Canoe Co?

Still catching up…

another thread here about CD but you know most of it.

just as a reference:
Sterling kayaks I’ve had delivered from WA to FL (one corner of US to the other)
$575 in 2012
$500 in 2015
$540 in 2017
containers they came in were from Eddyline
no issues

2023:
inflation (has been much more on gas prices)

2 Likes

diesel has doubled in a few years. Labor cost 2012 to now way up. Boat 22’ 100 lb huge difference . Transportation to NYC / Long Island always more.

Trucks cost way more to replace now also.

1 Like

This one needs love. Nearly as far but…SEAWARD TOURING KAYAK Tandem SEAWARD Passat G3 made With Kevlar Nice L@@K | eBay

1 Like

This is an old ad but you never know…**Seaward Passat G3 Tandem Kayak** - $3,000 (Martville) | Boats For Sale | Binghamton, NY | Shoppok

1 Like

Road trips are good. I never need a reason, but just like paddling, all I need is motivation.

Gray route for me. I don’t pay tolls. Road trips use gas, that’s what it cost to side track and see the country. I hear the biggest ball of aluminum foil, ball of string, chewing gum, and a 40 inch hairball surgically removed from a cow’s stomach is in Kansas. Probably 6 day round trip (or 7). That’s why I have XM radio.

PD52 - I’m just curious how the payment works. If you pay the $3000 deposit, do you pay the balance only after receiving the kayak, or do you have to pay the balance shortly before they ship?

2 Likes

balance before shipping which is fine with me.

Common carrier fees cross continent consistent $1300+. $1800 from CAN, not surprised.

$100lbs.? Too bad you don’t fit a Stellar ST21 at 57lbs. I’ve got two new ones which you could have at $3500 including me driving to LI South Shore for delivery. I could even be talked into playing hooky today for the road trip.

6 Likes

this particular Passat G3 is a bit odd it has larger cockpits 18" x 37.5" and not a shallow deck. Figured I would get more people to fit in it and go for a ride. They won’t look at it and say how do I get in that?

Liked the colors also, colors not an end all with me as long as bright and not pink , white, or black.

They said they had someone else who wanted who knows it’s still up for sale. May happen if it’s still available later in the year. I could pay for it on credit card and have it delivered before 60 day time frame expires.

I still have my CD Libra XT tandem 22’ great but not as fast 32" vs. 26".

2 Likes

Found out there are no thigh braces with the XL cockpit all cut out. Don’t think I’d like that.

1 Like

Nah Marshall - those ST21 kayaks are too light, too fast, too attractive, and too inexpensive! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Sanborn Canoe Company is selling fiberglass and Kevlar kayaks.
The polyethylene line has been discontinued, but Wenonah said another company is buying that line, but it hasn’t been announced yet.
Wenonah will sell parts for this yr & then Sanborn will take over.
(copied from email from CD)

2 Likes