New Kayaker... Lots of Questions

Hello,

My partner and I are newbies to kayaking, and after a few rental and tour experiences we are hooked. We’re planning to buy two kayaks and we’re finding all the new information exciting and overwhelming, so we’re seeking your help to guide us. We’re planning to kayak in lakes, slowish rivers, and calm bays. We plan to fish a bit, but spend more of our time enjoying short day trips or 1/2 day trips with our dog (cattle dog). We were planning on SOT 10’ or 12’ kayaks for the ease of jumping into the water and getting back on if we should fall out. Plus the extra room for the dog is nice. We’re also short and don’t have a ton of muscles to move kayaks around. We have a tacoma with a camper shell and thule racks on the shell. Our questions are…

1. Is the 10’ and 12’ a good start for us since we’re newbies, short, and not planning on doing long tours?
  2. Is the SOT the best fit for a bit of fishing, and bringing our dog?
  3. What brands should I check out that are affordable and don’t weigh a ton (live in Northern California)? Wilderness Systems and Ocean Kayak seem to be popular here.
  4. What Thule carrier can I get to fit two kayaks on top of a camper shell, and what’s the safest way for a short (5’) person to get it up there without it crushing me!

Thanks in advance for all your advice and wisdom. I can’t wait to make our first kayak purchase soon!

answers to some
1. Is the 10’ and 12’ a good start for us since we’re newbies, short, and not planning on doing long tours?

Any boat that you use is a great investment. These likely would be fine. A little longer would allow for a bit more speed and gear, which may or may not be beneficial.

2. Is the SOT the best fit for a bit of fishing, and bringing our dog?

Yes. People use other boats, but SOTs are the most common boats for fishing.

3. What brands should I check out that are affordable and don’t weigh a ton (live in Northern California)? Wilderness Systems and Ocean Kayak seem to be popular here.

Check local dealers and go with what they have. There are may brands and models that would work - get one carried by a local dealer so you get their support and knowledge. Wilderness Systems is part of Confluence Paddlesports, and Ocean Kayaks is part of Johnson Outdoors - these are the 2 largest companies out there, so will be at many of the shops. But brand is less important than dealer service - that they can find the right boat for you and make sure you aren’t just boat owners, but paddlers.

Thoughts
I really like SOTs, but with cool water you’ll likely be more comfortable in a Sit In, something like a Pungo 12 or maybe a 14 footer. Those are fishing machines and great for having a dog in front of you.

Some dogs don’t take well to standing on the slick plastic, so you may want to bring a towel or something that will be more comfortable. Long term you might even install some thin closed cell foam (neoprene or minicell).

The 14 footer will be faster and carry more, but it will also be a bit heavier for loading. A short, folding step ladder with the hand bar might work for loading.