New lightweight SOT

My math gets 50 lbs.
Still not super light, but a feather next to my Tarpon.

If weight’s that important they have carbon/kevlar for 2.5x as much.

If you want to spend big money on a composite SOT - check out Easy Rider’s SOTs. Scroll down to performance SOTs. Three sizes - two layups.

http://www.easyriderkayaks.com/single_kayaks.htm

On the Pelican-are you using troy,

– Last Updated: Feb-02-04 8:13 PM EST –

avoirdupois, or apothecary conversion? troy@12.58 oz to the pound. Avdp=14.58oz. to pound. So, 23 kg=61.622548494266425 troy lbs. and 50.70632030252184 avdp. lbs. Right? So, I figure we're both right. Maybe?

Yeah, but the wind’s better at it! NM

2.2 lbs per kilo
"Troy" is an ancient city - so I can’t go there!

DUNNO, GUYS, THE ISTHMUS LOOKS LIKE IT

– Last Updated: Feb-03-04 8:48 AM EST –

might qualify and be up there with the others being mentioned.

http://www.venturesport.com/cgi-bin/products/products.cgi?search=cat_kayaks&title=Kayaks

On the other hand, it IS 21" -"only" 21" -wide, and the Pelican and the EZ Rider Eskimos run about 23" and 24" respectively. The Isthmus supposedly weighs in at 50# -but it SEEMS about 15# lighter than my S-Pro TW at 55+. The Pelican & Eskimo also just LOOK easier to paddle,

I guess I'd characterize the Isthmus as a paddling and MAYBE (with a LOT of practice by klutzes like me) a day tripping & light touring SOT and not really a multipurpose (fishing in particular) boat, though it does have hatches and below decks stowage.

I guess for the adventurous, those with good balance, and those with better than average paddling skills, the Isthmus would qualify as a good, light, performance SOT that can match the SINKs in the speed+effort equation.

After checking out the Eskimos. I was pleasantly surprised to see that retail for the Isthmus is in the 40-60% range of that of the Eskimos... They may be fine boats, but they ARE dear...!

Try it if you can, Pam & others, and see if it suits you and your needs as you

Paddle on!

-Frank in Miami

You may be right
It’s the trying it part that’s a little tough for us non-Floridians. But after reading your posts and looking at your photos and Grayhawk’s, I’d sure like to!