New Mexico

The Mrs. and I are planning a vacation at the end of August after we pack the kids off to college. My first choice is Door County and the Apostle Islands. The Mrs. really wants to see Santa Fe NM. Anyone know any good paddling spots near there and places to rent yaks?

Any info would be appreciated.

Santa Fe
I’ve been to Santa Fe several times but August is not my favorite time of year. Fall is good, Balloon festival time in Albequrque. Spring is good. August the water levels are going to be way down. Closest flat water paddling to reccomend is on Lake Powell, and that’s a long drive away, there is Navajo Lake, paddling on the river near Taos, the Pecos, or the Rio Grande. August is low water time for all of these spots. Visit the pueblos drive out to Chaco canyon, but maybe not in August.

Thanks Seadart

– Last Updated: Jul-29-05 9:27 AM EST –

That's good info. We have enough low water in the Midwest without having to travel to see more.

Rubber raft it!
Lived and played in NM many years ago. It has been a long, long time so I do not remember outfitter names, but …

There are rougher waters year around. Go take a raft ride on the rivers between Santa Fe and Taos. Outfitters will be easy to find.

Have Fun!

NM waters
I lived Near Taos for many years and at that time I was poor and not a kayaker, but I was a fisher. I explored much of the waters in the area. The Chama river has a nice float below Vado dam to Espanola - very scenic thru the chama canyon. Even with low water the Rio Grande should be floatable between Espanola and lake Cochiti. Lake Cochiti (between Albuquerque and Santa fe could also offer some good paddling and exploring. If you are willing to drive on another 150-200 miles there are several good whitewater rivers near Durango Colorado (animas,pinos,navaho), and of course the San Juan river offers some beautiful paddles.