I am in the market for an ocean going kayak and am somewhat overwhelmed by the choices available. I was hoping if I posted my current specs someone might me able to make some reccomendations as to good kayak choices? Thank you in advance.
- I live near the Pacific ocean, there is often large and rough surf with substantial winds and currents. I am a strong surfer, swimmer and experienced in boating. I have kayaked before in these conditions using both sit inside and sit on top kayaks. But I have never owned one. I was hoping to purchase a kayak that was suitable for these ocean conditions and that would travel quickly and in a straight line. Im not looking for a surf kayak, just an ocean-capable kayak good for medium to long distances.
- I am 6’0 175 lbs. I dont plan on bringing more than 50 lbs of gear with me.
- I am looking for a price range under $1500 new.
- Because of storage constraints, I cant buy anything much larger than 16 feet.
- I am open to used kayaks as well if anyone has suggestions there.
- I am open minded on sit on top or sit inside
- There are some good retailers near me including REI
and a Cobra Dealer
Thanks very much!