my parents and I are planning to get our first kayaks. We’ve rented before and liked them, and we’re ready to take the plunge!
- we’d like something with a bit of a keel to it, since we’re been in the ones without and slid all over the very windy lake.
- we’re short. my mom and I are 5’1”.
- we plan to get or make a kayak trailer that will likely double as storage.
- my dad is very handy and would prefer to build the trailer. my mom would prefer we buy it and get going. I’m not touching this one.
- ideally we’d like something that we could take out on a very calm ocean bay. We camp every summer at the KOA in Bar Harbor, and we’d like to try kayaking off the little protected beach there.
- that would likely be the extent of our ocean adventures, my dad has the understandable willies about being lost at sea. my mom and I might try a guided shore bird tour, but not anything more then that.
- by “camp” I mean RV. we don’t need lots of storage, no long trips. 6 -7 hours max.
- we’d mostly be on lakes/ponds/rivers looking at wildlife and taking pictures. no racing anywhere, no white water.
- my dad would like to get a two seater so we can bring the dogs. a 60 pound and a 35 when he’s grown labradoodles.
- the bigger dog likes to go swimming, so some advice on that would be helpful.
- the plan is to get two solos and the above mentioned two seater.
- if we can get used that would be helpful, but we’d be willing to spend about $3,000 altogether with the trailer and assorted bits and bobs.
- we like LLbean and if they’ve got a good starter set my mom would just buy it no more questions asked. we’ve been eyeballing their folding aluminum trailer with interest.