New Perception Prodigy 12 - Questions

Hello All,

I recently bought a Perception Prodigy 12 kayak for use on Lake Thurmond here in South Carolina. Primary uses will be daytime cruising and knocking around, with occasional overnight camping trips to some of the many islands on this lake. I have not been able to find much info about this kayak on the web (I believe it is a new model). Have a few questions to anyone who might be able to help…

1. Where can I find a set of flotation bags for this kayak?
  2. I am new to the sport, but I believe they call what I am looking for a “hatch cover” (piece of fabric with a rope or elastic around the edge) to seal the cockpit when not in use… to keep critters and such out when the boat is beached overnight?
  3. Does anyone have any comments (good/bad/neutral) about this kayak?

Any replies will be appreciated. Thanks, All!

Lewis

Cockpit cover…
Keeps critters, etc out of your cockpit (where you sit). Hatch cover is for your hatch (where things are stored while underway). NRS is a good source for all things kayak.

www.nrsweb.com

Welcome to the sport! Have fun and be safe!

Bob

Where is aLake thurmond?
Paul

Where is Lake Thurmond…
Lake Thurmond (also known as Clarks Hill Lake) is a Corps of Engineers impoundment on the Savannah river located on the South Carolina/Georgia border. About 20 miles from Augusta, Ga.

Lewis

good
congrads on the purchase. I guess I could comment as I help on the design team and am involved in testing all the new stuff that comes outta CWS (Perception, Dagger, Wildy, etc.)

The Prodigy was developed as an effecient, quiet, stable boat that was easy to turn and easy to go straight.

How’s that for some marketing hype. :wink:

We have the option of paddling EVERYTHING else out there and then doing it ‘our’ way.

have fun

steve

prodigy
when you oder your cockpit cover or sprayskirt…only yhe large size it fitted better.i have one myself for my girlfriend and for toher friend to paddle along.it good yak to be in.im pleas ewith the boat and very stable and can be use for overnight trip…have to learn what to pack and what needed.love the footbraces…easy to adjust while sitting in yak while paddling…i dont used floating bag either.

love the paddling on the side by the cockpit.make it easy to carry on your shoulder also while sitting in leaning against the rimo f cockpit

prodigy 10
when you oder your cockpit cover or sprayskirt…only yhe large size it fitted better.i have one myself for my girlfriend and for toher friend to paddle along.it good yak to be in.im pleas ewith the boat and very stable and can be use for overnight trip…have to learn what to pack and what needed.love the footbraces…easy to adjust while sitting in yak while paddling…i dont used floating bag either.

love the paddling on the side by the cockpit.make it easy to carry on your shoulder also while sitting in leaning against the rimo f cockpit

Flatpick Question
How is the Prodigy different from the Sundance? They seem VERY similiar. Or is the Prodigy going to replace the Sundance?

Thanks

woohoo for you!
first boat, love isnt it?

we’got 7 aquaterra/perception boats…if it wasnt for Aquaterra’s Chinook I wouldnt have gotten hooked many years ago!

Let us know when you are planning an overnighter on Lake Thurmond, I need to score that lake :slight_smile:

replace
gotta upgrade the oldsters that have done their service.

Kinda like the timeless Pam_140! :wink:

The prodigy is much smoother and effecient running thru the water and has updated outfitting.

steve

Adventure Racing Kayak?
Steve,

I saw the Prodigy 12 at Cabelas last weekend and really like it. I’m a beginner adventure racer and want to get my first ever kayak.

Wish list of requirements:

40 pounds empty or less

sit in

can be eauipped with rudder

will be used on lakes with speed boat traffic and slow moving rivers with possible light rapids

Can spend up to about $700.

Can you recommend a solo yak that would run fast and have enough room for my gear (backpack, small tent, sleeping bag, food, etc) also? I am a male, 5’2" and 130 lbs so need something that a guy my frame can manhandle onto my truck and lift onto a carrier…