New Repaired Kayak = New Kayak?

Just received a new kayak last night. As I unwrapped the bubble wrap, I noticed a decent sized gouge on the front deck. The seam between the deck and the hull was cracked on both sides. One of the cracks is large enough to see into the forward compartment.

Seller suggestion is for me to find a local boat builder and get the damage repaired.

Seller?
The Seller suggested that? Did you buy it privately, or from a retailer? Was there no way to inspect the boat prior to getting it home?

What boat and…

– Last Updated: Aug-01-06 10:32 AM EST –

...who was the shipper?

If it was a new boat and you can get a replacement..
DO IT...

Seller = Manufacturer
I did not buy it from a private party. The seller was the manufacturer.

crazy
you bought the boat from the manufacturer, it arrived damaged and they told you to find a boat repairmen? Never a good sign when the manufacturer doesn’t stand by their product or customers.

Shipped from overseas?
There was a thread about a damaged boat from Asia(?). If so you may have a problem once you accepted it.

That is heart breaking
My answer would be assuming that the manufacturer will pay for the repairs is how bad do you want the boat right now?

I think if it was me and I had another kayak to paddle, I would bite the bullet and insist on a new replacement.

Did they give you the option?

If it is that first class kayak manufacturer that advertises here, I know they will suggest that but do what you want.

Cheers,

JackL

Name Names
I think we would all like to know.

Shipping and damage
If you signed any document accepting the delivery, chances are there is some fine print stating you agree the item is delivered in good condtion. Unless you signed “pending inspection” or similarly, you may have waived any claim against the hauler or manufacturer.

Understand above all else that once the item leaves the manufacturer’s facility, you are the only person who can inspect it for shipping damage and act accordingly. The manufacturer is powerless once it leave their place.

Most manufacturers will take great pains to get the boat where it is supposed to go. They don’t want the item damaged any more than you do. Damage almost always occurs in transit. Once you waive your right to refuse delivery of damaged goods or make a claim, you’ve not only screwed yourself but the manufacturer as well. Shipping companies have every right to point to the signed document as proof of good delivery.

I second the manufacturer’s suggestion that you look into getting the boat repaired, especially if it came from a great distance (at great expense). If the kayak can be repaired to like new condition at a reasonable cost and the manufacturer is prepared to work with you, that is often a better solution than sending the damaged boat back and having a new one sent (the replacement boat could be damaged just as easily!).

Read the Fine Print
I had a similar problem with a used kayak I received that had been shipped through FORWAR AIR EXPRESS.

I signed the bill of lading accepting delivery of the kayak in APPARNTLY GOOD CONDITION. They allow you a 10 day period to contact them with any damage that you may not have noticed upon first inspection, or any latent damage that may not have shown itself until a few days after arrival (some damage may not be immediately apparent).

Who was the shipper, and more importantly who was the manufacturer of the kayak?

Matt

Mowhawk told me
NEVER sign for any boat until you unpack or at least inspect it for any outward signs of damage. The carrier is responsible for any visible damage incurred while transporting, but in the case of concealed damage, the manufacturer is responsible if the damage appears to have been done before the boat was packed. This is generally decided by the carrier’s claim agent. You should still be able to file a freight claim if you have all the packing material.

Should a seam give out
from knocking a boat around? I’m wondering if the seam was low quality, which would be the manufacturer’s direct responsibility.

Is the shipping FOB, or is it paid by the manufacturer? If paid by the manufacturer, does the mfgr bear responsibility for the shipping? Even if the buyer signed, the boat was clearly damaged.

In any event, the mfgr should be demanding good service from the shipper. Set expectations. Change shipper if necessary. No excuses management of quality. It’s the mfgr’s brand at stake after all.

Paul S.

I would like to know (NM)

Please Name Names
If nothing else, you will be helping out others here that may think of buying from this company.

Did you pay by credit card? If the manufacturer refuses to fix the problem, including all shipping - CONTEST THE CHARGE.

Second, send the mfr a link to your post on this website after you name names. And, you might mention the number of people that visit this site. Could motivate them to address your problem.

Who pays for the shipping
does not determine who is responsible for damage. Responsibility is determined by the terms in the bill of lading and by a determination of where and when the damage occurred.

As far as could the seams be damaged in transit, absolutely! You may as well put a “kick me” sign on anything you ship by common carrier that is not firmly attached to a pallet. Too many things can happen between terminals and on the road to mention here and none of them are good. Bubble wrap alone is not sufficient packing material to ensure safe arrival.

Mohawk used to ship their boats in what is best described as a “cardboard canoe” lined with strips of minicell foam and inner cardboard as well as some other packing. You would think that they would be impervious to damage if you saw the container, but even they occassionally came damaged.

Thanks and Answers
Been working late so just I’m just now back on this message board. Thanks for all the thoughts and responses. Here are some answers to questions people have been asking.

The shipper is Clear Freight (http://www.clearfreight.com/). They also arranged for the shipping from the port to my house, which is about 25 to 30 miles from the port of Los Angeles. Their trucker says that the kayak was the only item in his truck and that he didn’t damage it.

There was absolutely no damage apparent before unpacking. Outside of this board, I’ve heard conflicting opinions on whether unpacking while the trucker was still there and/or putting additional verbiage with the signature would have helped or not. In any event, my wife signed for the package and I certainly don’t plan to complain to her that she didn’t sign properly. I’m also not sure the trucker would have waited around for the boat to be unpacked – it took me 10 to 15 minutes to unpack. I did purchase insurance through the manufacturer to insure the shipment. The manufacturer is actually named as the insured party on the insurance certificate.

The manufacturer is Mirage Sea Kayaks (http://www.mirageseakayaks.com). Absent the damage, it appears to be a really lovely boat. The quality of finish is first-rate. In addition, the boat was built in exactly the colors I wanted and outfitted specifically (e.g., sail fittings, etc.). Mirage seems very sympathetic and anxious to help, but it’s unclear what the solution will be. I hope they come through because the boar seems to be first rate and they been wonderful to deal with up to now. Let’s see how they come through in this unfortunate situation before reaching a conclusion.

If I don’t end up with an acceptable solution, does any have suggestions on what other boat I should consider? I’m looking for a fast sea kayak that’s well suited to open ocean conditions – most of my paddling is in the Pacific. I would like decent cargo capacity and a day hatch. An integrated rudder would be desirable too. The new Epic 18x looks interesting. Some of the Epics I’ve seen have not had the best finish quality. And, I’m not certain if the 18x would be suitable for rough conditions. Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations on the new Epic 18x or other alternatives?

Thanks again for the thoughts and responses.

The solution is
a QCC-700. It is just about equal to the Epic 18 as far a speed goes, and will handle the roughest water that you can handle. Both of these depend on the motor!

QCC guarantees to take your yak back in 30 days if you don’t like it and they will pay the shipping.

If it arrives damaged, they allow you to keep it until they ship you a new one.

They are the most fantastic outfit that I have ever delt with on any purchased item.

I doubt that there is another yak manufacturer that would send you a replacement part such as a hatch gasket three or four years after purchase free of charge, and no questions asked.

Cheers,

JackL

Tideline 19
The Tideline 19 (http://eteamz.active.com/paddleshop/news/index.cfm?cat=204584 scroll down) looks like an interesting boat too.