New Skin on Frame

Congratulations Paul
That’s a sexy boat :wink:

Manatee Poacher?
Thank goodness only for display. Otherwise you might be put under watchful eye as a suspected manatee poacher. Seriously though, I have often wondered what it would do to the handling to have all that stuff on the deck. It is interesting to read KOG’s thoughts on how the kayaks changed as the hunting techniques/equipment changed.

wish I had
thinned out the bow and stern stems more. seem realy blocky to me.

Paul

But like someone else said “kinda ugly but she paddles”

very true
width preominantly with the advent of small bore firearms…

Paul

How does she paddle?
I suppose it is foolish looking for comparisons since SOFs no doubt vary like production boats, but what are its most obvious traits? I have a replica Greenland boat (1935 Sisimuit)and I cannot decide if it likes a sensitive touch or needs a strong hand as in an odd combo of tracking and manuverability. It seem to respond to small inputs to keep on course well, but once it goes off far, it really takes some forceful effort to get it back. It will turn very fast with just a touch of stern rudder, but bow rudders just seem to drag it down before it turns. Wind and current can really take me for a ride at times as well. I am amazed at the initial stability given a 19.5" beam and how comfy it is to lean over in the sense it will go far over and still easy to bring back. Not being a strong paddler, I like the ease with which it can be driven to 4Kts, but I have the sense it would hit the wall soon.

whew!

– Last Updated: Jun-08-07 5:20 PM EST –

Not sure I know how to answer your questions. I find that anymore I just automatically adjust without thinking about it much. As you said, not being a production boat it is difficult to compare to one, and since I modified the hull and volume from the strip built Hunter, it is a different boat so can't compare too well there either.
the boat is definitely fast. It seems to turn well and I am comfortable with the volume. I haven't spent enough time to see how it performs with a stern rudder compared to a bow rudder etc. I will do so this weekend and try to answer better. I am finishing up the deck lines and sanding and cutting the sliders and I will be finished with it. the sea sock will be in shortly also so I will feel a lot more comfortable getting out into bigger deeper water by myself.

could I ask your height and weight? the comments you make about the wind taking you for quite a ride might indicate that you need some weight in the boat? "getting the boat back" should be a simple matter of leaning or doing a sweep stroke. surprised it is taking that amount of effort. How is the trim? Does it weathercock or leecock?

Paul

Its not bad
I’m 5’ 10" and 180#. Forceful action to me is needing to use a real sweep stroke as opposed to throwing in a little draw or start with a bit of sweep blending into a forward stroke. Once it goes far off a good lean and sweep will do the trick, but seems alot to me given how sensitive it can be oteherwise. It will correct fast with a little lean and a stern rudder so its not really a hard tracking boat, just likes some inputs more than others. In most situations it does not weathercock as much as an Anas, but with wind at certain angle and the right chop or a strong current, it will yaw fast and take a set hard. OTOH, boy will it fly on small swells and so long as you are quick at leaning and using a stern rudder, you can keep it going along without broaching. Obviously it is going to teach me a great deal.

Battleship pics up.
Takin bets on how far I get before either capsizing or getting completely entangled…

Paul

http://picasaweb.google.com/BrazilBrasil1/HuntingKayakSkinOnFrame