New to Canoeing, but not to the Water

Thanks!
The main river that I hope that I can gain the skills to use this canoe on is the Jack’s Fork River in the Missouri Ozarks. Many of the canoe rental places offer both “plastic” and aluminum canoes (very similar to the one I am getting). I am confident that it will handle this water well as the river is pretty much a Class I with some Class II places.

I am concerned with my skill as a novice canoe paddler (especially going solo). I know this river well from kayaking. I just have to work on paddling skills.

Portaging will not be a problem for the majority of my floats as the put-ins and take-outs that I use are on National Park property with driving access to within a few yards of the water. Kneeling is a different story. I will have to sit as my knees are pretty well shot already.

Doug

If you paddle white water
you are going to want to get down on your knees in each set to lower your center of gravity a bit. You can get back in the seat when the set is finished.

Thanks for the tip…
I really appreciate it. I see that there is a LOT to learn with canoeing vs kayaking. I am really looking forward to getting out in the canoe.

Doug