New to minnesota

Hi- I’m relocating to st. paul from denver next week. My sister and her husband will be coming up from Virginia for the weekend. I just bought a new (used)necky looshka IV and I really want to test it out. Does anybody have any recommendations on where I could go to take my family (young and in good shape but have only kayaked a few times)for a day/possible overnight trip near somewhere that I can rent them some decent kayaks? I know the area may be completely overrun since its 4th of July weekend and so from what I can tell the boundary waters are likely out since I have’t reserved permits etc. Any thoughts would be helpful or the locations of any good rental places. Willing to drive as well.

And if anybody has any great advice for a longer trip a little bit later in the summer I’m all ears!

Thanks.

Kelly

Northshore of Superior
Sawtooth Outfitters in Tofte or Superior Coastal Sports in Grand Marais assuming you have the skills to paddle Superior will rent you kayaks.

You should be able to find a permit somewhere in the BWCA as long as you’re flexible. Just show up at the Forest Service office in Tofte or Grand Marais and see what’s open. Get a permit for it, watch the video, rent a canoe from Sawtooth or Sawbill Outfitters or Bear Track in GM. Or do day trips into the BWCA.