New to paddling and need some help!

My dad and I are planning on doing a 4-5 day canoeing trip up Voyageurs National park in October, and I’m in need of suggestions for clothes to get since the average temperature is around 35-55 at that time of year. Also something preferably that doesn’t break the bank :pray: I was thinking about a pair of waterproof waders that are lightweight but let me know what you think.

Welcome! You are likely going to get a lot of replies.

I don’t do multi-day trips so I’ll defer specific advice to those who do, but since you say you are new to paddling, it sounds like you should do a rigorous risk assessment, starting with thinking about immersion in whatever the temperature of the water may be.

I don’t think waterproof waders will make sense unless and until you plan to wade, as in from the shore. Lightweight neoprene or something similar–maybe. Canoeing/paddling and wading are not the same gear profile but as I said–many great people here that will have valuable advice. Some of it can prevent tragic outcomes.

Cold water, cold air, multi-day camp, lack of gear, and inexperience all combine for some hefty risk to manage. And it can be managed if an honest assessment is done.

Yeah, skip the waders. https://www.friends-bwca.org/explore/resources/boundary-waters-gear-guide/
Add warm layers to the list. You are in for some long nights.

4 Likes

You can often get discounted clothing and equipment from Sierra Trading Post.

Lots of youtube posts on paddling and gear.

Lots of bad advice on YouTube as well, so be careful!

Don’t know where you live, but if you have the time and patience you can find a lot of good gear at thrift stores, especially (in my area) Goodwill. I constantly find good outdoor clothing from North Face, Columbia, L.L. Bean, Royal Robbins and Woolrich at thrift stores.

You will need decent rain gear (preferably breathable like Goretx or the cheaper versions – I find a lot of Columbia and L.L. Bean shell pants and hooded parkas in thrift stores.) Also fleece for warmth when wet and there are TONS of fleece tops AND pants in thrift stores. You don’t want waders – in fact those can drown you if you capsize in the boat while wearing them because they fill with water. For wet portages either get a pair of neoprene socks and wear with cheap rafter sandals or the water shoes you can get in any discount store, or (my preference) short side zip neoprene dive booties with hard soles like those sold by Deep See. Can usually find for about $30 - $35, less if you search eBay for used ones. Easy to take off your regular footwear and put these on if you have to trek through mud or shallow water.

Definitely need a mosquito netting face and neck cover, either by getting a wide brimmed sun hat that has the net rolled up inside the crown that you can drop down over your head to your shoulders when the flies or skeeters come out, or get a cheap bag type mesh cover that you wear under the hat. Get some decent smooth fleece gloves (not fuzzy on the outside). Get several pairs of good wool socks (wool keeps your feet warm even when wet) and a comfortable set of polyester long john tops and bottoms you can wear at night for sleeping or under your outerwear as more insulation. A quilted wool, fleece or poly-filled nylon vest is handy for chilly mornings and to roll up as your pillow at night. I kind of prefer some wool outerwear if I am on a trip where I might be building camp fires – unlike synthetics like poly and nylon, wool won’t catch fire from sparks.

For canoeing, some people like army surplus wool pants and old wool button up shirts, if you can find them. Definitely do not bring jeans, cotton sweats or cotton flannel – wet cotton causes hypothermia by evaporative cooling and it takes forever to dry. Wool pants offer some cushioning and stretch if you are kneeling in a canoe. Several large sized cotton bandanas can be useful for a lot of things – I always bring them as well as a couple of Buff style neck/head bands. Keep your neck warm with one when it is chilly, and around your forehead makes a good sweat absorbing band if you get a warmer day. Buffs are expensive so I get the cheaper brands at discount stores.

My town has an independent wilderness sports outfitter who has a consignment area with used items for about a quarter of the price of new and that is becoming a more common option – you might investigate if that is available near you.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for the reply’s!