New york needed?

I bought a used canoe yesterday. I believe it’s an old Old Town 16’ Canadienne canoe.

I just found out that the york needs to be replaced. This is my first canoe and I need some advice. Do I measure the width of the canoe and then find the matching yoke on Old Town Website and order it?

In the meantime, can I go canoeing without the yoke? Is it required to have a yoke while paddling? Or is it just for portaging?

Any advice, please. This canoe is old and I want to make sure everything is ok before I go canoeing. What other things I need to check on this old use canoe?

The yoke is primarily a center thwart

– Last Updated: Jun-21-12 9:16 AM EST –

and in most OT canoes is a crucial structural component.

One generally buys a replacement a little longer than necessary and cuts the ends to arrive at the proper length.

A handsaw, drill w/ bits, screwdriver, and pliers are the only tools needed. Maybe some sandpaper and varnish to smooth and seal the cut ends.

http://www.edscanoe.com/portageyoke.html

Otherwise, a simple visual inspection along with applying a little pressure wherever the hull looks suspicious should do before your shakedown cruise. I wouldn't take a load of passengers or plan an overnight first time out, though!

Probably not
so long as you don’t do anything extreme most canoe. will be OK without the yoke aka center thwart.

Put it in the water.

Get in, keeping an eye on the center of the boat and an ear out for cracking or tearing sounds.

If the center bows out a lot or something sounds bad you need the yoke. Otherwise you should be OK.

As to the question is New York needed? Well here in Redsox Nation we don’t think so.

You can paddle without it
, but for practical purposes it’s best to have either a thwart or yoke connecting the gunwhales amidships. You can purchase preformed yokes or make your own from any hardwood. I prefer Ash. I also prefer for the comfort of portaging and cartop loading and unloding a set of shoulder cups which are available in either clamp on or drill & screw.