Newb Questions

Hello from Southwest Michigan. My wife and I have done a lot of paddling over the years, but it’s always been with rental gear. We finally bit the bullet and purchased our own gear a couple weeks ago. We’re only able to do 1 or 2 full day trips a year since we have an 18 month old and she’s not too happy with sitting in the yaks with us. I have a few questions below on some modifications I’d like to make. As reference, we went on the cheaper route of kayaks until we can see exactly how much we’re actually able to get out, and may upgrade in the near future. Mine is a Pelican Mustang 10’ and hers is a Pelican Ultimate 10’.

1. The Mustang has rod holders in it. Has anyone used those to mount a flag? I’m thinking of a USA flag and a Pirate flag, but don’t want to spend a fortune on some special adapter.
  2. The Mustang doesn’t have a cup holder, although I’d love to put a beer up with me if I’m just floating around the pond. Iv’e seen the Yakattack gear tracks available. Anything else I could use to mount a cup holder for a short trip? If I do go with geartrack, where do you mount yours? Do I have to worry about the curvature of the kayak not matching the profile of the geartrack? Do you seal it once you’ve put holes in? Some sundolphins have a nice sturdy cup holder mounted directly into the deck.
  3. Along the same line, I’ve seen some rental companies just bolt a go pro mount bracket right on the bow. Is there a better way to mount a go pro, or is that just as easy? I thought of maybe some geartrack for a cup holder, then a short section up front for the camera.
  4. Anyone have any advice with taking a child in your Yak? I can get ours to sit still for about 5 minutes, then it’s time to get out. Do they may any seats that boost them up so they’re not just sitting on the floor of the cockpit?
  5. Anyone added a D-ring or something similar to lock it to a tree or to your vehicle overnight? 90% of the campgrounds we go to we shouldn’t have to worry, but there’s a couple that I’d feel a lot more comfortable bolting on some type of hasp that I can wrap a bike lock around.

I’m fairly handy and can be quite creative, just don’t want to do anything that will make my kayak end up in the bottom of the lake instead of on top of the water. Thanks in advance.

I’m a relative newbie myself, but I think your child’s instincts are correct. I would not take someone that young on a kayak. It would be unsafe if you capsized. If I’m wrong someone more experienced will correct me.

@Doggy Paddler said:
I’m a relative newbie myself, but I think your child’s instincts are correct. I would not take someone that young on a kayak. It would be unsafe if you capsized. If I’m wrong someone more experienced will correct me.

Thanks for the info. When I take her on the yak, it’s in very short water, and she’s got a jacket on. I don’t take her anywhere that I cannot stand. As far as a large lake, or fast rivers, I find a babysitter.

Flags add a lot of drag…

@grayhawk said:
Flags add a lot of drag…

I’m not too concerned with drag since I’m not kayaking in any competitive way, nor am I going very fast, far, or long. I’ll leave the flags at home if I plan on a day trip, but for a short day at the beach, I thought they’d be neat to put out my pole holders.

Hello from northern Michigan.

Dicks Sporting Goods claims there’s a bottle holder on the Mustang.

As to the GoPro, get a suction cup mount. That will allow you to place the camera anywhere. Would be a good idea to tether the camera to some part of the boat just as an insurance policy.

Toddlers have short attention spans. She’s a little kid, most likely bored, uncomfortable and can’t squirm around. Heat and high humidity make me cranky, too.

Doesn’t appear that either kayak has one or two sealed bulkheads. The documentation states the storage compartments are not waterproof. Best way to keep them off the bottom of the lake is to add float bags (if that’s possible).

Lasso makes security cable locks for kayaks.