Newbee kayak.......Suggestions.

QCC700 was my first kayak
The first thing I did was tip over just trying to get in. It was a wake up call that paddling was not as easy as I imagined. But I was halfway coordinated and was committed to being a serious paddler. Within a couple hours I was comfortable in two foot ocean waves paddling with people who had no idea it was my first day.

A few months later I won my first race in the QCC700, a 15 mile ocean race.

Then I bolted the rudder back on and learned to use a wing paddle. My average speed increased at least a knot and my range easily doubled.

Last year I moved into surfskis.

So a QCC is a great first kayak if someone is more serious about the sport of paddling. If you have the attitude where you tend to take most of your sports and hobbies more seriously than the average recreational level person, then I believe it is more practical to avoid the shorter plastic kayaks and move right into a longer, more seaworthy kayak that will grow with you as your skills quickly improve.

Thanks everyone!
Well after going out and actually testing some Kayaks on the water…I will not be going with a 10’ at all. I really didn’t feel right. But I did however really like the size and feel of a 12ft, I felt confident in what I was doing and it did move better.

So… I have decided to go with a Pungo 120

(after getting some recommendations & and reading all the great reviews). SO hopefully I will LOVE this Kayak and I can finally start my long happy marriage to Kayaking!!!

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INPUT!!! :slight_smile:

Lauren

And how many have YOU owned?
Answer: 1

First Kayak
My wife and decided to get kayaks together for our anniversary and for the type of paddling you outlined, which is what we do most often, we selected the Perception Sundance (12 foot). It is very stable and tracks great. The very large open cockpit is ideal for us for entry and exit and fishing from it is very easy and comfortable. We tried the Wilderness System Pungo 12 footer which is very similar and loved it but got a better deal on the Perceptions. As many have said you have to decide what type of activities you will do and the try out a few kayaks of different types to see which one is best for you. Since buying the first kayaks I have constructed a 16 Pygmy Osprey and found the transition to be quite easy from the Sundance

Whatever you decide - good luck and happy kayaking

First Kayak
Congrats on getting your first boat. With me, I was lucky to find a used one right here in the classified’s. I was a “canoe-er” until I went on a paddle with a group and almost everyone else was in kayaks. Believe me, I noticed how much easier they were paddling and decided right then to switch. The first boat I bought was an older plastic P&H Capella. And the first thing I did was roll over trying to get in it. Then I rolled over trying to get out of it. Oh, and did I mention that I rolled over in a river too!! Signed up for lessons after that. I love the Capella now. I can do so much with it (after the lessons). And now I’m looking to buy my first “new” boat, although I’m thinking that I will still be out on the water w/the Capella.

1st Kayak
Go to a canoe, kayak shop. Test paddle as many boats as possible AND talk to a Paddler, not somone working at a super store for min. wage. Go and have fun. Vaughn Fulton

Why buy any boat right now

– Last Updated: Jul-07-08 12:40 PM EST –

you can either rent or borrow---your post leads me to believe you haven't spent much time in kayaks, if any--best idea is to take an introductory course where you learn the basics--at the end of the course, you will have a better idea about what kind of kayak you want.

If you don't want to take the course or already have, either rent or borrow kayaks and try them out. No need to rush into buying one before you know what you are looking for in paddling---if you want something more than meandering close to shore at a local lake or slow moving river, it won't be too long before you outgrow a so-called beginners kayak---

and here is the real shocker, the "beginners kayaks" aren't any easier to paddle then many of the so called advanced ones--every summer I take people who have never been in a kayak, put them in a Necky Eskia(16 feet long, 24 inches wide, fore and aft compartments) and take them on a 4 mile trip on the ocean. I've never had one of them have a significant problem with boat handling--and I've seen other guides do it for other outfitters with Current Designs Sirroco(16' 10" long with a skeg instead of a rudder.) and with Wilderness Systems Tempests 165 and 170s---Don't let anybody tell you that you "need" a beginner's boat--instead look at what you want to do, and buy the appropriate boat for you. Basic kayak skills aren't that hard to develop and you will probably become bored soon with the "beginers boat" If money is an issue, consider getting a used advanced kayak. For the same price you can get into a boat that you will enjoy indefinitly.