Newbie female/used kayaks--advice?

Great points
thanks for mentioning them. . . size is everything but length isn’t especially for us petite folks and the paddling, conditions, intended use and skill level are important factors.

love the test paddle info sheet
…and the score card. thanks for posting.

Paddling environment, longevity
Re the discussion about whether a boat has to be a particular length for bigger water… agree length isn’t by itself a useful measure. I am biased towards a full sea-going kayak for bigger water for other reasons.

The Oper has indicated a desire to paddle bigger waters and a limited pocketbook. So getting into a boat that they might regret at the end of their first season may be an expense they should avoid. Unless you buy really used or get a great deal, it is pretty hard to fully recoup a boat’s cost of purchase.

The transition boats, like the Manitou, have a great price point and can have very solid capabilities, but I am regularly at end of season paddles where someone said they wanted to upgrade out of a boat like this that they had only purchased three or four months earlier.

Once someone has the ocean and a boat and paddle all in one place, it is usual to want to try and go further out than they may have contemplated when the boat was an idea. Maine is probably worse for this than most places - you look out and see island after island - but it is likely to happen anywhere the water is inviting.

A tighter fitting, more tuned boat for the paddler is easier for learning how to turn and otherwise control their boat. For a smaller paddler, that is more likely to be a boat like the Mystic or the Eliza than most of the transition boats. It is very frustrating for someone to try and learn some of this when they are in a boat that is just too big to make it easy, and there aren’t a lot of boats out there like the Romany which can be oversized in volume and still be super learning-friendly.

As to length - the boats like the Impex Mystic and other sub-16 foot sea kayaks for small paddlers as as apt as an Explorer HV for a big guy. It’s about the intended environment for which the boat was designed and the fit of the boat, not the length.

first test paddles
got my feet wet today and tested my first boats. what a great experience–despite my frustration at being limited by my beginner’s skills–I learned a lot and much of what has been discussed here became immediately clear.

Got to try the Avocet poly, the Necky Eliza, Necky Chatham 16 and the Romany (composite–I can dream, can’t I??)

So, with the helpful advice of my sales “guide” I focused on fit, basic turns, and paddling as straight as possible with the wind at my side, knowing that I have yet to learn so many skills which would enable me to learn more about what these boats can do.

So far they’re all on my short list except for the Eliza–it felt “loosey goosey” to me–in fit, and on the water–it was the hardest boat to keep straight. Didn’t care for the footpedals, and don’t want a rudder.

The 16’ length of the other boats was not an issue. I think my search for 14’ boats stops here.

I’m hoping to get a Tempest 165 in the water–have sat in it only on land. I really understand now the value of having time in the water with these boats; thanks to everyone who advised about this.

Next, looking forward to instruction so I can better understand what these boats can do.

thanks again for the advice everyone!

Perfect…
You are doing what everyone should but few get the chance. Your short list are all very fine boats. Try them all twice and one of them will speak to you and say “Take me home.”

Romany (composite–I can dream, can’t I?
If it turns out you like the Romany, you should be able to find one used, blem, or demo. I picked up my Elite layup Romany for under $2000 (list at the time of $3200) because it had been damaged in shipping and was repaired.

Good for you!
There’s nothing like time on the water when deciding on a boat.

Every boat you demo affects your perceptions of the next boat you demo, especially when you’re new. I remember when I was first looking – boats that had seemed too advanced for me felt much different when I tried them again after demoing several others.

Please keep us posted!

Avocet skeg slider bolt and my knee
Forgot to mention this–could not understand the placement of the skeg slider on the Avocet poly (upper left side of cockpit), as one of its bolts dug right into my knee. Ouch–this was really unpleasant! I was told that could be padded out and I’d never feel it.

How likely is that to hold true in the long run?

I remember that the skeg slider on the Tempest was placed more thoughtfully–to the rear right of the cockpit. Handy for control but no body parts to poke.

I’ll second Wavewheeler’s post
Quality boats. Triple layer. Stiff. A “must try” before you buy. Marc

padding out the bolt
Kathleen: easy to do. Buy a small sheet of minicell foam - better for strength to do 2 layers - 1 at 1/8" then 1 at 1/4". You’ll want to cut two circles one slightly smaller than the other: the smaller one gets applied first over the bolt with the edges flattening out against the side of the boat. the the larger one centers over the smaller one. You can always go to a third circle at 1/8" if needed.

Get minicell at the paddleshop or at REI. There are online sources too if you google minicell or closed cell foam -kayaks.

Glue the circles down, first one, then the other, w. drying time between them. Use w. Dap Weldwood (red label)Contact Cement - hardware store, Lowe’s, Home Depot etc. Follow the easy directions on the can and remember to protect your skin & eyes. Thin layer of glue on both sides is best. I use painters tape (the blue tape) to hold in place while it sets up. Best to do at temps 65 degrees or more. When it doubt let it go the extra 24 hours.

I’ve done all my own cockpit outfitting on 3 boats so far and it works brilliantly and my boats get drenched on purpose! Just take your time and do a neat, careful job in a well ventilated area. Excess glue can be removed w. a dab of pure acetone, use sparingly & don’t let it linger on any finished surfaces.

As you get acquainted w. your kayak you may want to add padding to the sides and base of the seat, underneath the thigh braces, at the side of the boat next to the thigh braces, etc. All perfectly normal tweaks. Use the boat a bit before you decide on any additional padding. You can do a temporary install w. commercial grade Velcro (OfficeMax and Office Depot sell it)to test the fit before committing to glue.

So if the Avocet turns out to be your first choice, don’t let the bolt placement deter you!

Noticed same thing
I noticed this when I paddled my friend’s Avocet which is several years old. She has shorter legs than me and it doesn’t bother her. Padding it out should work. I have padded other boats to fix similar issues. I have a 2008 Poly Avocet which has a slightly different cockpit design than the older ones and doesn’t have the skeg bolt issue.

Cate

http://www.womanonwater.blogspot.com

good to know
…that

1. a boat’s design can evolve year to year (didn’t confirm the model year of this particular Avocet), and even small things (like bolts) can make a difference

2. based on your hands-on experience, “padding out” can be done well and seems to be worth the effort and nominal cost

thank you friendlyfire and thorn91!

Outfitting
Kayak outfitting for a custom fit makes a huge difference in boat control and comfort. Some folks do fine with the stock adjustments, but I’ve done some work on all my boats – hip pads, heel pads, thigh braces, etc.

The strap-in hip pads are great for renting/demoing/borrowing boats. The precut peel & stick pads are a good option if you don’t like foam dust and contact cement fumes. :wink:

Skeg slider placement…
On some boats it is placed where you can visually glance at it to see where the skeg is positioned. On some other boats it is out of your way but you can’t sight it easily and to check it’s position you have to take a hand off the paddle and physically feel it.

Mariner Coaster
If you can find one, especially hard to find on the east coast