Newbie seeking advice on Kayak length.

Skip the pond. Come across the NY border and my Boathouse is on the Hudson. In fact, enough looking at a screen. Time to go kayaking!

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

I see people on YouTube spinning a 17 foot kayak on a dime literally. I would go for longer 16+ kayak and a cart. Go see Marshall although I have never been there seems like he has stuff to look at and try.

How do you spin a kayak on a dime literally? Dimes don’t float. Do you do this process on the shore?

@Yanoer said:
How do you spin a kayak on a dime literally? Dimes don’t float. Do you do this process on the shore?

it’s a matter of speech guess that left you onshore or up the creek without a paddle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBVh6LquFYU

but if you really want to turn on a dime duct tape one to the bottom of your boat.

I always thought that literally, meant literally, not virtually. Maybe I misunderstand the term “literally”.

@Yanoer said:
I always thought that literally, meant literally, not virtually. Maybe I misunderstand the term “literally”.

no go get the tape the it will be literally.

I recently acquired a Current Designs Vision 13.5 hybrid composite and find it’s length to be quite adequate for most tasks. I’m 5’6" and 170 lbs fully dressed with pockets full of stuff. The amount of stuff in my pockets does not effect my height, just my weight.

I also have a Perception Sonoma 13.5 that is quite quick, efficient and maneuverable and great for rivers and scoots right along on lakes, as well.

Both of those boats track just fine for me, but YMMV.

I don’t see a need to go longer for most things. I also own an Epic 16X, but will likely be paddling the Vision 13.5 more than the 16X, mainly because of it’s smaller size and greater ease of handling off the water and transporting on the car top. It’s also more comfortable for me to sit in, but that’s not related to the question about length.

Is there a reason you can’t use a cart to go from river’s edge to your house, if you are across the street from shore? You would have to go to the house to drop off and pick up the cart, but if you are that close…
It seems like a cart would take the pressure off being picky about length.

Thanks for all of the input (at times your boggled my mind). I purchased a kayak last Friday. I ended up with a Hurricane Marvel 120. I went to Collinsville Canoe/Kayak in Collinsville CT as they had some 2016 left overs that they were selling at $200 off the regular price, so I got a pretty good deal on it and then they gave me 20% off any accessories I bought, so I got a pretty good paddle and ended up getting a cart as well which I can also use for my canoe. So when I go to other places to Kayak (and I plan to) I don’t have to worry about how far I might have to carry it.