Newby Buying Advice Please (sorry long)

I did!
I signed up! Sorry for the late reply! I work in medicine and have had the schedule from hell lately. Anyway I did sign up for CPA and am trying to find info on the sk 102 event. Dang it is hard to figure the info out as a newbie!

Myra

Question then…
If you used to paddle a slipstream and now a Romany how does the fit of the cockpit compare? I just loved the fit of the Willow and Slipstream cockpits.

I’m VERY interested in the available Romany now and less interested in the Willow and even less interest in the slipstream now that I’ve read all the responses.

Gosh don’t you love being able to poll the masses via the internet to get some useful feedback? I cannot thank every single person that replied to this thread enough for their input!

Thanks so much for your input!

Myra

Thats ok,
you were still of great help! I thank you so much for your input. You were absolutley correct in that I probably didn’t ‘go fully into it in either boat’! I don’t really know how yet. I just tried to do my best with my complete lack of knowledge and experience to try to ‘feel’ as much as I could and try to form an understanding of the boat as best I could.

And yes, they did discontinue the Slipstream and I think I understand why now.

As for the Suka I have it written down that it did pass muster on the showroom floor and me getting in the cockpit and finding it comfortable enough because I did indeed demo paddle it. For some reason it ended there and I did not take notes on why I crossed it off my list. I may need to revisit it and figure our why I didn’t like it as much as the others.

Thanks for all of your input! It is really helpful!

Advice from Goldilocks
I am a little shorter than you and have short legs but thought I would chime in on some small boat recommendations. Definitely try out the Suka. I would probably pick it for the type of touring that you described. Also the Valley Avocet and NDK Romany are great small person boats - these are more rockered “play boats” that we like on the west coast for rock gardening and playing in the surf. It looks like you are going for composite or kevlar and both the Avocet and Romany are available in LV versions and I recommend trying them both. I will be curious to hear what women say about the composite Necky Eliza. I hated the poly one so bad that I gave the rep an earful about it and didn’t even want to try the composite.

All the best and keep us posted how your search goes.

Cate

http://www.womanonwater.blogspot.com

You are so right…
about so many things! Thanks so very much for your input, it is greatly appreciated. Ok, so the Willow is very low on my list right now and I’m thinking of retrying the Suka since I do have a note that I tried it but don’t really remember why I took it off my list. I’m also going to see about test paddling that Romany LV I think!

Your post was very appropriate and you are correct I never saddle the plodding horse but want something that is a bit more jittery at the gate and ready to thrill me. :wink:

I don’t remember…

– Last Updated: Apr-15-09 9:56 PM EST –

if it was the composite or poly. Sorry!

I will take your advice however and add that I want to try a Necky Eliza composite on my list! And that Romany LV like your friend's is now on the top of my list!

Thands so very much for the valuable input! It is truly appreciated from you and every single poster to the this topic!

Just how soon can I try that?
I’d love to demo that boat and since you and your wife are very experienced I’d really value your input on this!

I’ll send a pm back through email and hopefully we can arrange something so that if I buy your boat I can attend the sk 102 event in VA which I desperately want to sign up for but hey… I have no boat yet! Argghhh! :wink:

Thanks!

cool
Like your spirit girrlll. Totally get where you’re coming from. Water babies we are.

we may have been separated at birth :wink:

P.S. pls. let us know what you bring home and why.

We can help you celebrate! People here understand boat cravings.

That poly Eliza

– Last Updated: Apr-16-09 12:00 AM EST –

I'm with you.

sheesh that boat was boring on the water. IMO nothing remarkable about that kayak in looks or performance, and the fact that it's marketed as a breakthrough chick boat is depressing.

The cockpit adjustments were unnecessarily fussy with all those snaps and the crossover hatch straps plain annoying. The foredeck had a prominent peak and why? Plus, while to each their own, a rudder is never on my list...

Now I will praise the lines of a composite Eliza, slimmer and w. finer shear line and ends. Consequently I fit much better in the seat and within a slight padding distance of the thigh braces. Based on a dry land paddling spin (the boat was supported well off the floor) The deck seemed lower (I didn't measure) But that's just floorshow paddling at the Jersey Paddler show last April.I crave something wetter. Some day, somewhere in entire two peninsulas of Michigan there may yet be ONE to take out on the water.

The 15 foot range could always use another agile boat and the informal word on the fg Eliza is she's a blast. We should ask salty to intervene, I hear he's got some pull w. Necky ;-)

Fit of cockpit on RomanyLV
The Slipstream, as I remember it from 6 years back, had a more oval shape and was longer. I had a good deal of difficulty staying in the boat when learning to roll. Couple that with the widgety aspects of the Slipstream; one minute you’re upright, the next moment you’re swimming, and it was not a good match for me at that point in my kayaking education.

As for the RomanyLV: NDK boats tend to have a “true” keyhole, meaning that it’s narrower towards the foredeck and rounder in the seating area. My thighs fit perfectly under the narrower area and thus I could edge and roll much easier as I felt secure and more in control of the kayak. Some of that also has to do with my build and the length of my legs, which are a little shorter than the average, I guess, as I wear a 30"L jean.

While I’m a big fan of NDK boats and pretty fond of Valley, you really have to try the boat both for the fit and for how you feel handling it on the water. Boats are an individual choice, and all other kayakers can do is hopefully steer you in the right direction. After that, it’s up to you.

Hope this helps.

Big YES to FF idea Mystic Montauk

– Last Updated: Apr-17-09 9:39 AM EST –

My friend and girl-friend is 5' 4", athletic, wonderful balance, some time in a canoe, but otherwise new to being a water-baby.

She found that the 14 ft Mystic was a fabulous boat for her. Light enough to put on the car by herself! Very confidence inspiring in wind waves and chop. Easy to turn. Wonderful to begin learning edging, bracing and rolling now.

She is able to keep up with our pod of longer fancy boats! Without knowing bracing she has never capsized in three years even in 20+ knot winds and 2-3 foot waves!!!

She tried all these boats and was not afraid of a great fitting cockpit, many new paddlers feel claustrophobic in well fitting boat.

She realized like friendly fire and Wilso and Babina and Aled that both beginners AND instructors choose boats that do what they want with decent primary and secondary stability, and a nice balance in tracking and turning.

And like Babina says, all you have to do is add a bit of foam, maybe even adjust the seat, or oh my god, remove it and put in a really comfortable foam seat and foam foot rest, thin foam for thighs. Total comfort and fit.

I, myself, remember starting with CD only on my list of boats to buy many years ago. They do have good build quality. However, like many here are saying, open up a bit, and look at the best boats from other makers, there are boats that may better suit your needs outside CD. And, I must say, my knowledge of CD is not current!