Next Up - TS Ophelia

For New England, looks like RI will get most of the swells, with some heading to NH and ME. Once again, MassBay will be occluded by the long arm of Cape Cod.

sing

1 Like

If Ophelia tracks back out to sea, just south of Long Island, then the chances of getting bigger waves in MassBay and northward have just increased for midweek.

sing

“Victory at sea” conditions.

Might calm down to surfable conditions by mid-week. Ophelia is still inland and won’t be back out to sea, south of Long Island 'til later today.

For a mere “tropical storm”, Ophelia apparently punched above her weight in damages along the mid Atlantic.

PS. TS Phillipe formed earlier today in the mid-Atlantic. He looks to be a fish storm (Yay!).

sing

The onshore winds have finally tapered off enough to allow the Ophelia (remenant) driven waves to clean up a bit. Boston buoy is registering 3’ plus @ 10 seconds. It would be so much sweeter if the winds were offshore to clean up.

It’s sunny out, but both the air and water temps are registering at around 63 degrees. Two weeks ago, the water temp was at 70. All the churning has brought the cooler layers of the water column up.

Once the tide recedes a little more from the seawall, will head over to check it out.

sing

Well, from Dept of Conservation & Recreation’s perspective, “Summer is OVER!” The Bathhouse doors are locked. Figure it out on your own if you need restrooms and/ or shower.

The other signs are the lack of beachgoers. With other surfers, I saw only one in visible distance.

The waves today were surfable but mediocre at best. The diagonal onshore winds generated wind waves on top of and in between the 10 second swells. Pretty messy and hard to differentiate the underlying swells when looking out. So, on the initial paddle out, I thought it would be best to get the thigh straps and get quickly out beyond the soup and break zones. Normally, I would secure the thighstraps retention strap (say it five times fast) first before heading out.

I think I got half way or more through the impact zone, when I got hit by a set of three solid waves. First was fine. Second hit knocked my right thighstrap off. And, the third breaking wave send me into an a$$ over head capsize. Thankfully, the left thighstrap was still on, which is the strong rolling side for me with the ReVision. I managed a shakey roll that saved me from a lousy swim. While I dont like swimming, it wouldn’t have been awful because the water temp felt relatively warm still with 2mm full wetsuit.

Today was a half mediocre surf session and half a rough water paddle practice.

Mahalo!

sing

PS-waiting to see what happens with Rina in the mid Atlantic. Phillipe has mostly dissipated bear the Caribbeans.

Zipping through the alphabet for storm names!

I wanna see what name they pick with initial “Q.” Has to be a female name, after male Philippe. Hmmm.

The letter “Q” is just too hard (outside of Sesame Street)…? The names jumped right over “Q” for 2023:

Arlene Bret Cindy Don Emily Franklin Gert Harold Idalia Jose Katia Lee Margot Nigel Ophelia Philippe Rina Sean Tammy Vince Whitney

Same for 2024:

Alberto Beryl Chris Debby Ernesto Francine Gordon Helene Isaac Joyce Kirk Leslie Milton Nadine Oscar Patty Rafael Sara Tony Valerie William

sing