Night cruising

yay no sun no bugs few boats.

Can’t get GoPro to load to cloud. Video is off TV.
Had some videos I loaded to cloud last year.

3 Likes

You take any Timelapse of the stars ever?

nope can’t even get it to go to the cloud.

Did you connect it (the Bluetooth) to your phone?

We are just learning ours.

1 Like

Very cool, thanks for posting it.

1 Like

the phone recognized the camera the photos won’t upload. I uploaded some of the dogs last year when I got it in past December.

That’s one thing on my bucket list, a night paddle! Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Night paddling is fun but creates some serious risks. Power boats are the worst.
Most fatalities among paddlers on Puget Sound are at night.

Particularly when they don’t have their lights on - I see this often (St Johns, Jacksonville).
And, for the first time (and hopefully the last), about a week ago I saw a freighter headed downstream (near Dames Pt bridge) WITHOUT any lights (actually, as he passed me, I did see a light coming from the bridge (term correct?). I suspect they must have had electic/other problems on board, highly unusual.
Scary, as I didn’t see them (very quiet) until they were nearly on me (though I was well out of the channel - posed no problems). I normally am aware of them well in advace as I look behind me often.

1 Like

I would definitely hug the coastline.

1 Like

For those familiar with the September Adirondack 90 mile canoe race, which is staged over a 3 day period…Some of us also like to paddle (for fun and training) what we call the very unofficial non-racing “Cannonball-90”, paddling the entire old traditional route within a single 24 hour period. Usually (but not always) done during maximum daylight days of mid-June. The portages expand from a total of 5 miles during the offiical race, to 10 miles on the Cannonball. Many paddlers (myself included) like to begin at the stroke of midnight, to finish 90 miles roughly 19 hours later. The first number of miles is on big lakes and on a clear calm night we have as many stars visible on the surface of the water as are in the sky. Beautiful.

1 Like

sometimes you can’t you have to cross channels

Very true. If I launch out of my daughters house, i only have to cross one narrow channel that isn’t much travelled.

1 Like

I was paddling at dusk a couple weeks ago on the ocean and we had a bio luminescent event. Each paddle stroke was like Thor’s hammer - the water would light up with each paddle stroke and create a swirling cloud of glowing water behind me.

I went out into the ocean a little ways - there was 1 foot wind chop and when the bow would slap down the whole area around it would light up and glowing water was thrown back in my face by the wind. It was one of the coolest experiences of my paddling career.

Night paddling is great in general. Very peaceful. I wouldnt go in active areas at night, but there is generally little if any traffic in my area. I recommend it! Just be sure a light is handy and build in additional safety margin

3 Likes