NKD Explorer vs. Valley Aquanaut?????

Re. Hatch Sizes
When I first bought my Explorer I, too, was concerned about that small stern hatch for camping trips. However, it has had some unexpected benefits in that it forced me to purchase and use smaller dry bags for my gear. With stuff divided into smaller packages, I’m now better organized and can find things more quickly. With some planning and adapting, the hatches have been no problem at all.

I thought the old Romany
was renamed Explorer. Was it just that Explorers used to say “Romany” on the side? I’m confused.

Romany Explorer
The 16’ boat is a ‘Romany’. The 17’6" boat is officially a ‘Romany Explorer’. The early models had ‘Romany’ in the usual large type face and ‘Explorer’ in the world map logo.

Clarification…
If I were to get an Explorer it would be a replacement for my Aquanaut. I buy used boats so selling off my current one and getting a different boat is pretty cheap. Ultimately I would like to get a day boat…probably a plastic Avocet for rocky paddles.

I like my Aquanaut, but am a perfectionist when it comes to gear. I found the Explorer more comfortable for the reasons stated above…better contact with the deck due to the cockpit size and fit.

What got me thinking is this issue of fit. If a boat is more comfortable and fits you better you will be happier over long paddles and will be able to control it better.

I too think that comparing these boats is somewhat an issue of splitting hairs. I posted this somewhat out of curiosity as well. I think both are probably great boats and I like to hear what people think about the two compared…kind of like reading the old Mustang GT vs. Z28 articles in the car magazines.

My personal feelings…I like the Aquanaut a lot. I think it could have better cockpit fit. I like the bigger hatches. I think that it handles very well. It turns well without having to provide a lot of edging. It tracks very well in rough conditions. Stability is good, secondary is excellent. Speed is okay, excelleration is not so good. It rolls okay, but not as well as my Dagger Meridian did.

I think that the Aquanaut is a bit boring on flat water. It feels kind of like a battleship on the flat stuff…but get it in rough water, especially in REALLY rough water and it comes alive. It has a very lively feel to it in rough conditions, is easy to control and inspires confidence. I am amazed at the way it can just gobble-up rough water and remain very stable while waves wash over the deck from any direction.

I imagine that the Explorer would be similar, but probably provide me with a better fit and more comfort.

Matt

fadedred
Yeah, I agree with you… The Nordy and Pintail are very different boats, but I like their personalities. Nordy is just a very efficient long haul boat whereas the Pintail is just FUN. I like the Romany over the Explorer, as it’s more fun, but the Pintail is looser, and I like loose!

Not knocking anyone’s choice here, as their all fine boats. Just sharing a perspective that deviates from the norm here.

The Garcia bear cannister does not…
fit in an Explorer hatch. It does fit in my Nordkapp hatch. There is a new cannister that is clear with a screw top lid that will fit in the Explorer. If you camp in raccoon infested areas these cannisters prevent the little bastards from hijacking our food. They are the law on the Olympic coastline.

If you cannot fit your kit into an Explorer hatch perhaps its time to upgrade your flannel sleeping bag with the ducks imprinted on it to something a little more packable. ; ) If it were me I’d cast a long eyeball on that cast iron pan, too.

Dogmaticus

"it can just gobble-up rough water and

– Last Updated: May-12-06 2:16 PM EST –

remain very stable while waves wash over the deck from any direction."

Yup that is when the Aquanaut excels.

Again, no one I know who has had an Aquanaut in conditions has not been impressed.

I wouldn't say it handles rough seas better than an Explorer, but it does handle them quite differently. I feel the 'naut is more 'fluid' handling rough water than the Explorer tends to be. I prefer the smoothness of Aquanaut's manners in such seas. Some prefer the Explorer's manner.

I

– Last Updated: May-12-06 2:24 PM EST –

believe that new little bear canister is quite pricy especially compared to a Garcia

might be cheaper to change the rear hatch if you have an Explorer and want to use a bear canister

unless they just came out with something I haven't seen yet

Best Wishes
Roy

What is fluid?
Curious what you mean by fluid. Do you mean waves or whatever tend to just move by without disturbing or pushing the boat around, but at the same time it is very easy to rotate/lean the hull lengthwise to keep on top of things? Thus the impression of being lively?

good

– Last Updated: May-12-06 2:12 PM EST –

to note the changes in hull the Nordkapp has gone thru...from a vertually straight bottom then came the Jubalee with a couple of inches added to the rocker in just the back....then the H 2 0 with about an inch of rocker taken back out...add this to the HS and HM hulls and it gives you several differant handling boats....not even counting the rear cheek meat added on the Jub and H 2 0

to actually test or review the Nordkapp, you need a fleet

my Jub HM is also a heavy lay-up so it's heavy and settles nicely into the water , so to really test the Nordy ya need a fleet plus a couple of more to make up the weight differances between all the models and then add Kevlar ones into the mix

Best Wishes
Roy

I have both a Pintail and a Nordkapp HM Jub....for when I desire differant kinds of rides to many of the same destinations....but when I go for a trip I do always take the Nordkapp

You may have a point - - - but - - -
If you are located out in the middle of Bass Boat territory, and you never see another kayak, you have to listen to what others have to say, and then hope they all know what they are talking about.

Until I decided I wanted to try kayaking in lieu of most available boating options in the area, all I could do was listen to the boards. Now that I have one, and am trying to learn more, I find there are a few in the area, but I have never seen one around either on a car or on the water

My point it - - Sometimes we can’t try them out!!

Lively / Fluid feel…
I cannot speak for the person above, but I can give my feelings on the boat’s handling which I would guess is the same as what he is describing.

For me, the Aquanaut comes alive in really rough water. The hull does not remain flat but constantly pitches with the waves. If you keep your hips loose the boat constantly moves underneath you with the water. While the boat moves you can feel the secondary stability kick in to keep you comfortably stable dispite pitching the pitching and rolling of the boat underneath you.

Yet, despite all of its livliness, it maintains excellent tracking in rough water. It punches through the water and maintains its course despite what the water is doing around it; however, you still maintain the ability to turn quickly when needed. The boat turns better in rough water in my opinion which I guess makes sense due to the fact that the bow and stern are not fully in contact with the water when the boat is on top of a wave / swell.

By the way, those smaller bear canisters are about $65, but they don’t hold a heck of a lot of food. Supposedly they hold 5 days worth for one person…I would call it more like 2 days worth or so. I have one.

Matt

What
do they call it? who makes it? the last small one I looked at was a couple hundered I seem to remember it used titaniumn and had a threaded cap of some sort

Bet Wishes

Roy

Yes, eel that is it.

– Last Updated: May-12-06 3:12 PM EST –

That is a good description of what I mean by 'fluid.' Though bowler1's description is excellent in conveying the combination of lively and fluid. For while the boat moves with the water, it does so with smooth confidence.

There are no surprises and the boat does not get kicked around.

One day on Lake George I switched boats with a friend who had her Chatham 18 that day. I found the Chatham felt stiffer than the Aquanaut and seemed to really be kicked by quartering chop. She was very impressed with how "well mannered" my Aquanaut was in those conditions.

My experience with an Explorer in conditions is that it gets knocked a bit more than the Aquanaut. This might be because of the Explorer's flatter chine. The greater rocker may play a part, especially in following and rear quartering seas. The Explorer also tends to slam down with a shudder after clearing a wave. This is notably different from the Aquanaut. It may be the flatter bottom of the NDK boat, but my Aquanaut does not feel as if it is slamming down as hard and does not tend to shudder in this manner.

here is one
http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442587618&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302854016&bmUID=1147460340446

79$

Lively / Fluid feel…
Matt,

Thank you. That is far clearer than I could have described what I meant by lively and fluid.

-Jim

Used Explorer at AKT
Atlantic Kayak Tours has had a used Explorer listed on its web site. According to Janice and others who have seen it, it is a ‘good one.’

I’m glad that Alan got an Aquanaut. I’ve always loved mine. Besides, our paddling pod already had more Explorers than any other model boat :wink:

It was the BV250 I saw used in…
the Explorer’s hatch. I think the Ex will fit a couple, but it will alter your packing strategy some. I could get a week out of two of those, but the food has to be repackaged.

Dogmaticus

probably true…for many inland
We were able to demo a slew of boats on Lake George, the Great South Bay, the Maine coast etc… by driving no more than about 300 or so miles in any direction.

Even so, the info in publications, such as Sea Kayaker, and on sites like this helped us decide which boats to seek out in order to try.

There is no substitute for actually paddling a boat. However, research can help narrow the field.

The BV250
is about half the size of the one in the link above. The diameter is the same, but it is about half as tall.

It should fit fine in most hatches, but you may need more than one.

Matt