NKD Explorer vs. Valley Aquanaut?????

Lively -Fluid Feel of a Tempest?

– Last Updated: May-13-06 11:57 AM EST –

Compared to the Aquanaut or Explorer? Just curious if anyone has feedback on the Tempest compared to the other two.
My hidden agenda is this. I have the Explorer and am very content with it. Had an Aquanaut and have nothing negative to say about it. I just got a much better fit in the Explorer. Family members have expressed some interest in coming along on occassion so might be looking at a second used boat, but it must fit either a tall (6'4") or a 6' 200 lb+ paddler. Two that seem to be on the short list are a Tempest 170 or Ellesmere because they will fit us fine and I have a reference point of having paddled an Aquanaut & Explorer. I've demoed them in sheltered water and hear the Tempest will be similar to the Explorer and Ellesmere will be more playful in open water, but any other comparisons to the Explorer -Aquanaut are welcomed.

Aquanaut and Romany
Wilsoj2,

I noticed above that you said you had an Aquanaut and a Romany. Since you like the Aquanaut so much I would think you would have chosen a Avocet rather than a Romany since it is a good match with your longer boat.

I am curious to hear why you like the Romany over Avocet.

Matt

Sooooo much
focus on boats!!! They are all so similar. Put your ass in any one of them, stop jibbering about design and paddle the damn thing PLEASE.

Avocet, Romany, bla, bla…

Why not support your sport, and the people trying to make a living in this saturated industry by buying all of these boats! Then you could have every base covered.

I hope you get that I’m teasing…but seriously, all this armchair analysis gets silly after awhile…go enjoy the water.

I do…
I paddle often. I love the sport. I also love to learn more about boats, etc. which I think is okay too. I love everything about paddling, boats, etc. Just ask my wife who hates me for it----says I am OCD about paddling, probably true for me and most of us.

Is it splitting hairs and does it really matter all that much…maybe not, but I enjoy the conversation as do some others apparently.

I for one enjoy the equipment as much as the sport…same for me with backpacking, cycling, and mountain biking. Some purely enjoy the sport itself, others also get enjoyment out of talking about and learning more about equipment. For me it just enahnces my total enjoyment of the sport and the experience. Talking about equipment is not as good as paddling, true, but they are not mutually exclusive. The time spent talking about boats does not reduce the time spent paddling them…it just reduces the time spent doing other things that are not related to paddling…like work. I for one would like to talk about boats more and work less.

Matt

Aquanaut and Romany
Part of my decision to get a Romany is because it is more different from an Aquanaut than is an Avocet. If I already had an Explorer, I would most likely have gotten an Avocet as my day boat.

Besides being different, the Romany affords a snugger fit, is slightly lower volume, and seems to have lower aft deck (though it might simply be that the Avocet’s seat is set closer to the rear of the coaming).

Though both the Avocet and Romany are good skills boats, I find the Romany a bit more supportive of Greenland based skills.

I also like the Welsh dragon - which is the only signage on the decks of my Romany :wink:

as much as possible
The armchair chatter is for those times one is thinking about paddling and cannot be on the water.

After fulfilling professional obligation this mid-morning into early afternoon, I spent the rest of the day on the water.

Pretty much in boats at least once a week through the winter and 2-5 times a week the rest of the year.

OK
Just got off the water after a 7-day training/3- day journey up here in Kachemak Bay, AK.

paddled an explorer. last year paddled the aquan. quite familiar with the tempest. :wink:

explorer tracks better, tempest is more fun (especially current/waves) and most comfy, Aquan is OK, too, tho it’s turning pattern (YAW) is not as balanced as other 2.

give me any of the 3 and I’d be happy as a pig in shit.

steve