No one has any backbone around here

Thankfully I found some

Creatures with bones that big are another reason I’m still a bit anxious paddling in the ocean.

That is the kind of souvinir that we would bring home!

dayumn

@Sparky961 said:
Creatures with bones that big are another reason I’m still a bit anxious paddling in the ocean.

There are bumper stickers up here that talk about being------ fresh water and shark free.

@JackL said:
That is the kind of souvinir that we would bring home!

Dang right! I would too.

our latest denzien has no bone… Coast Guard spotted a Great White off midcoast Maine… He is all cartilage

A Great White gets spotted off of Maine probably about once a year. Try and find a shark attack on a kayaker up this way at,the same frequency. (Sparky)

You sure have a conversation piece for your coffee table, Peter! How much does it weigh?

Humpty Back Did Dumpty

You can cetus down
but still it’s impractic
with invert to bray
dis-as-sembled chiropractic

once we’ve missed a line
and find outdors-al’s end
even ex 'ol skeletons of kings
shan’t be back together again

Probably 20-30 pounds. The main conversation piece, if I brought it home (didn’t) would be the smell, as the flesh parts hadn’t fully decomposed. Took a bit of washing to get my hands smelling better.

This is from a secluded beach on Angel Island State Park in San Francisco Bay. Whenever a whale is found dead in the bay (unfortunately, a few times a year - ships strike them and drag them into the bay), the bring the body to that beach so it can be eaten/decompose. All the “smaller” bones disappear, but the skulls stick around and there are currently at least 3 of them on the beach.

ps - The marine mammal protection act actually makes it a requirement that you get NOAA authorization to take marine mammal bones, though I suspect this wouldn’t be a high priority for enforcement.

@Celia said:
A Great White gets spotted off of Maine probably about once a year. Try and find a shark attack on a kayaker up this way at,the same frequency.

Down East no yaks
fight shark attacks.
Imagine that
sinew ain’t chewed fat.

@canoeswithduckheads said:

@Celia said:
A Great White gets spotted off of Maine probably about once a year. Try and find a shark attack on a kayaker up this way at,the same frequency.

Down East no yaks
fight shark attacks.
Imagine that
sinew ain’t chewed fat.

There’s also a possibility it was a basking shark

A fishy air mattress

Whilst in water park
agaped basking shark
came swimming directly,
I froze to thank him
for filterin’ plankton
inside instead of me,

thence in same park
a great white shark,
approached so I did pee,
knuckle sandwich
handing over man which
Hunt’s hamburgered me.

I found a pilot whale skull on Hilton Head years ago. It greatly helped my grade in the Mammology course.

<<_@Sparky961 said:

There are bumper stickers up here that talk about being------ fresh water and shark free.>>
_
Ah but we have this?
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=lake%20michigan%20whale%20migration%20station

(and yes, it is an opportunity to sell tee shirts, but it is pretty well done)

Radio station up here reports when the whale migration starts in the Great Lakes. :smiley: