non-permit western river?

-- Last Updated: Feb-19-05 8:48 PM EST --

Well, I'm 0 for 3 in my river trip permit attempts... no go on Gates of Lodore, Deso/Gray and Middle Fork Salmon. I am, of course, going to be calling for cancellations everyday, but just in case, I'm looking for any good alternative non-permitted multi-day trips to go on this summer. I'd like to stay in Utah, Colorado or Idaho since there will be fellow paddlers coming together from three different directions. Suggestions so far have included the Green between Flaming Gorge and Gates of Lodore, and Stillwater/Labyrinth. We'd prefer at least some rapids, so the latter will be a last choice....any other good trip ideas?

here
SanJuan above Bluff Utah

Colorado from Above moab to the confluence

green river from gr river to mineral bottom

Snake River from Jackson Lake Dam to the Pacific

Try this
Lower Salmon River Gorge:

Hammer Creek (below White Bird) to Heller Bar (on the Snake).

73 miles - Class II-IV.

portage hell?
Thanks for your suggestions…the Snake was especially interesting. It would be a great trip if it weren’t for the 30+ dams and 4-5 waterfalls we’d have to portage and the permit we need for Hell’s Canyon! I live on the Idaho/Wyoming border, so we take day trips through the Snake River Canyon above Alpine all the time. Have you ever done the Colorado below Moab or Labyrinth/Stillwater? They are total flatwater trips, so is it worth having to pay for the jet boat shuttle?

well
Yeah, I think its worth it. Its arguably the most sceneic flat water in the u.s.

Main Salmon
The Main Salmon from North Forth to Corn Creek, 47 miles, might be what you’re looking for. Mostly class II & III with one challenging IV. No permit and more than enough fun rapids.

One might suggest the Dolores, except
I doubt it will ever have water again in my lifetime