Nordkapp Jubilee as a day trip boat

Anyone out there using the Nordkapp Jubilee as a day trip boat? How do you like it for that purpose?

I’m asking because I’ve read that the Nordkapp was designed with expeditions in mind and that it likes to be weighted down.

I’d be 200 lbs.

Paul S.

Nordkapp Jubilee
I have a Nordkapp Jubilee and for a few years it was the only kayak I had.

I do not recommend it as a day boat, this boat was designed as an expedition boat, not to be paddled empty.

As soon as I had the chance I bought a day boat.

FYI I weight 195 lbs.

Preferences

– Last Updated: May-02-07 11:42 AM EST –

Many people use this as a day boat.

It will be less stable with less weight.

I might be concerned with the windage while unloaded.

Have you tried it?

Well…
Most of what is being paddled out there as day boats closer to 17 ft have been designed to carry full load, it’s just that some of them have more diff’s in behavior with and without the load than others. Day boats that were meant to be used only on day paddles will be more the stuff in the 16 range, tho’ even that’s not a clean cut.

The original Nordkapp had the rep of being not just different, but ill-mannered enough to require a lot of handling if it wasn’t fully loaded. My understanding is that the more recent versions have been modified to reduce the diff between unloaded and loaded manners. But the Nordkapp variations retain a lot of personality. As above your best bet will be to try it and see if there’s a marriage.

I
paddle a Nordkapp Jubilee empty lots of times…well maybe not quite empty, I carry a portion of “what if” gear.

It handles fine if your use to it.

I weigh 205 and usually carry maybe 20 pounds of gear for a day paddle.

It’s my boat of choice for days I plan to go more than just 8 or 10 miles.

otherwise I usually paddle my Anas Acuta.

I paddle Lake Superior, so when I want to go a distance, it usually involves island hopping and the weather can change rapidly…I can always count on my Nordkapp and the way it handles the conditions

lots out there that people paddle are or could be considered expedition boats…NDK explorer, Impex force series etc. maybe not a pungo…but then…you never know…look at some of the stuff that people have tried :slight_smile:

(you’ve been paddling long enough to know, you need to paddle one for youself and not rely on net advice) GET THEE TO A DEMO

Best Wishes

Roy

what fadered and celia said and
just know the jubilee is two boats in one, each acts differently, once you know how loaded or unloaded acts you can plan on it. I’ve lived out of mine many times for up to a week at a time and i’ve used it for day-distance paddles of up to 17 miles. the most important thing to know is that once you understand the way it paddles it is consistent.

Nordkapp RM

– Last Updated: May-02-07 1:27 PM EST –

I do not have a Nordkapp Jubilee, but frequent central Illinois paddler Chuck_IL has one that he uses, unladen, for day trips of any length. Last year he did a solo circumnavigation of our local 5000 acre lake in his Nordkapp Jubilee. So, methinks it is fine either way.

I just bought a 2007 poly Nordkapp RM, and after only three times out and 160-165 lbs, I really like the boats handling. It weighs in at 58 lbs "without the hatch covers" (Valley always adds in that disclaimer), so if you want to be sort of laden at all times, then the extra weight of the poly version is something to consider (esp if playing in rock gardens of the PNW). Just another way to view it.

G'luck.

Background and clarification
I demoed a Nordkapp last Sunday at a demo day. Just paddled it for 20 minutes, counting some rolling. I was surprised how stable it felt, considering 9 months ago, with maybe 50 total hours of paddling under my belt, the Explorer scared the bajeebers out of me. The Nordkapp seemed quick, turned well, leaned well, rolled well though I would ideally take a little lower back deck, or further recessed back coaming. There was just a little wind and no weathercocking at that level. It’s probably at least as good in that area as the Tempest. (That’s a week area for the T170/80 IMO, though leaning and corrective strokes, or skeg, solves it.

There’s a used Jubilee for sale locally at a good price. I know of and trust the owner. Not sure how often these local deals come along. This is what makes me a little compulsive about the consideration. I’ve thought of asking if I could rent the boat for a day trip. I could leave my Tempest for security, and sign a simple agreement of terms if I damage the boat.

Ideally I’d probably take a current model Nordkapp which I believe is the same as the H2O: one inch less rocker in the stern than the Jubilee. Oval front hatch. Not sure how much difference the one inch extra rocker in the stern will make under various conditions. Anyone have any input on that?

The other question I have which I can’t answer by demo, is how much is the performance gonna change for a boat loaded with only about 10 lbs of gear, when my body weight changes from current 230 lb to 200 lb? (Still on target at 7 lb loss per month.)

Paul S.

Just a bit more info–Orton weighs in…
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=381430#381517

sure
just don’t come to me when you try and low brace turn that sucker…

Thanks Very Interesting…
Guess I missed that older thread… or just had no interest in the Nords before I found the LV…

something else to consider about a
Nordkapp, you would be getting a classic, a kayak that has been everywhere and done everything. When I first saw the Jubilee I thought/and still do, that it is one of the prettiest kayaks out there.

Good thread.

– Last Updated: May-03-07 2:59 AM EST –

I read it a couple days ago and almost referenced it here myself. I just re-read Peter's reply. Lots of info packed in there. I missed the point about the LV being the design answer to "only paddles well laden." I wonder if I might fit in an LV later at 6'2", 200 lb? Web site says ideal load is 180 lb.

Paul S.

That is a draw.
I could buy it used. Paddle it for 6 months. If I like it, great. If I don’t like it, well, I experienced a Nord, and know what it’s about.

Tough decision whether to wait till I come down to weight, and try lots of different boats. The sliding weight keeps complicating things. It’s also my excuse, that sells with my wife, for looking toward the next boat :). So I start the research early and get tempted to buy early.

Paul S.

a-man, another point:

– Last Updated: May-03-07 4:29 PM EST –

Val;ley, as I understand it from discussions on Pnet and at CCopia with P Orton, has reduced the weight of their layups considerably over the past 1-2 years. This makes the new model Valleys lighter--as I recall it was significant, soemthing like 8 lbs or so, but I could be wrong--than their older counterparts. Something to consider when buying a used old Jubilee.

Bigger guy in an LV
I tried Grayhawk’s LV and I’m 225. SWEET! I would need to tweak the seat slightly (to get 1/4"-1/2" more thigh clearance), but otherwise comfort was fine and handling balance was great. Spins on a dime and tracks decent. Fair speed too, and fun to roll.

Would love to try it off a pond sometime. Would be a great play boat for me, but not so great for ticking off miles as it might be for someone smaller/lighter. This has more to do with my thigh size than anything (good control fit vs. good active paddling fit), though I’m sure it also plows more with me in it than Rick and would have higher top end for him. With me in it it’s like him and a full camp load - and fair pace is pretty easy - but I could feel the limit.

Yup, good point.
Not sure really how marketable the Jubilee’s are at this point.

Paul S.