NORDKAPP LV INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

well said
none of the time I spend here takes away from paddling time (one reason I don’t post on weekends for example).

If people are retired, underemployed, in the paddling industry (which might be the same thing … JK) or otherwise have more time to paddle, cool for them. Others of us have different demands on our time that we choose or do not choose.

– Last Updated: Dec-06-07 10:04 PM EST –

aquanaut LV / Nordkapp LV
Posted by: cooldoctor1 on Dec-06-07 7:40 PM (EST)
Thanks, tcvrider. Very helpful. Thx.

Here's some action pics of all the boats we are discussing on here:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgenetics/seakayaking_ayr060121.htm

My Favorite LV Pic…
LV on the left…

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4387/060218pict0109tfc1.jpg

indicative Aquanaut picture
http://www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgenetics/2006/060121DSC01324.jpg

The 'naut hangs so definitively and easily on edge. I don’t yet have as secure of a feeling in the Nordlow.

Really?
I used an Aquanaut LV RM for some open sea classes and thought it was just ok. However, I then sat in a Aquanaut LV fiberglass and wow - big difference in deck height, though Valley says its only 1 inch lower. Seems MUCH lower, and NICE…

Also, looks like the full sized Aquanaut is 17’9" and the Aquanaut LV fg is 17’2"…

It would seem that the fiberglass Aqua LV would be much lighter, shorter waterline and a much nicer, snugger fit than the full sized Aqua. But then, I love the Anas Acuta anyway unless they ever decide to do an ocean cockpit on the Aqua LV…heheheh.

Scott

Under the hood
Based on what you have under the hood you’re probably right.

OCD et al.
I am starting to lean toward this comment and plan by tcvrider:

“The Nordy LV is a fun and spirited boat to paddle. It has considerable rocker and about 1” less beam amidship than the Aquanaut. In short, it can turn on a dime. Forward speed is decent, but it’s not as quick as the Aquanaut. I found that I did not need to use the skeg to keep it on track, as was required in the Pintail I paddled the next day. Even though it carries a “LV” moniker the Nordkapp felt a bit large on me. If you check Valley’s specs on this boat they indicate that 180 pounds is the suggested median weight for a paddler. Yes, 140 lbs will fall within the suggested range, but a bit toward the low end. I would require additional foam outfitting to get a decent fit in the boat. I would rate the Nordy’s initial stability as low and secondary at moderate. The Nordkapp’s fore deck is rather high, but the aft deck was low enough to do lay-back rolls.

The Aquanaut LV does not have the Nordy’s rocker, so it is not as quick to maneuver, but it is still no slouch in the turning department. Forward speed in flat seas is better than the Nordy’s as indicated above. Valley’s specs the median weigh for this boat around 150, so it was not to surprising that the Aquanaut LV, was a considerably better fit on my body. The Aquanaut’s fore and aft decks are at least an inch lower than that of the Nordkapp and much more to my liking. I would rate both the Aquanaut’s primary and secondary stability as high.

I think you can see where I am going with this. The Nordkapp LV was a blast to paddle, but the Aquanaut LV was much closer to my needs and what I was expecting out of a kayak. I placed an order for a custom Aquanaut”. --tcvrider

I have garnered some info on here, if I have it right.

The Aquanaut, becuase of waterline consideration, would be faster for my 165 lb weight than the Nordkapp.

It seems, if I amk reading all this right, that the fiberglass Aquanaut has a lower foredeck than the NordLV–I like a low foredeck (like on my Avocet RM), and the Aquanuat foberglass has a moresnug cockpit than the Nordkapp LV, and even than the Aquanaut rotomolded.

And the Aquanuat fiberglass is 17 feet 9 inches and is 21.5 inches at beam, as compared to the Nordkapp LV at 21 inches and the Aquanaut roto at 22 inches.

How is the Aquanuat for rolling? Wilsoj?

***Do I have that all right?***

I have playboats in the Avocet, and in the Prijon Barracudas which is a fun boat with v hull and 21 inch beam and little rocker and I am certain that it’d be much more twitchy than the Norday LV (remember, I own a Nordy RM and find it stable). So, I have fun boats for days at the lake, and when I an in the sectional I am going somewher and want to go from point A to point B with efficient glide and purpose.

So, I guess I am leaning toward the 'glass Aquanaut.

Aquanaut or Aquanaut LV?
The posts bounce between these two designations and to me is confusing. The Naut lv has a lower deck than the Nord lv.

The Nord RM has fuller chines that are carried further back than the Nord LV. This pick may show that. Nord LV on the left and Nord RM on the right, very different hulls.

http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf68592ow6.jpg

Aquanaut - Nordkapp LV

– Last Updated: Dec-08-07 9:01 AM EST –

Sea Kayaker's measures for the standard Aquanaut and the Nordkapp LV:

- Aquanaut - Nordlow
LOA - 17'7" - 17'5.5"
WOA - 21.5" - 21.18"
Dk fwd- 11.5" - 12.5"
dk rear- 7.5" - 8.25"

The waterline beam of the two boats is almost identical (at 200 lbs the 'naut has 20.7" waterline beam and the Nordlow a 20.64" waterline beam)

These measures don't tell much. The hull profile of the two boats is very different.

The Aquanaut has notably more volume, less rocker, and longer waterline. The Nordkapp LV is easier to turn and the Aquanaut tracks better - though both track well.

The Aquanaut has higher primary stability and more definite secondary in flat to moderate conditions.

Both boats are relatively fast for Brit sea kayaks in the range of speed people, who are fit but not racing, actually paddle.

Both roll easily, though the Nordlow rolls faster and might be considered easier rolling than the Aquanaut - though more prone to window-shading if you're not careful.

Both are very good boats with quite different personalities. I think the Aquanaut is probably a better coaching, schooling, rescue platform and the 'kapp LV is more fun if you're up to it.

This is genuinely a case where test paddling would make the difference. They are both excellent designs. I'm keeping both ;-)

Decision is made: Valley Aquanuat LV

– Last Updated: Dec-09-07 7:15 AM EST –

I am going to place an order tomorrow for an Aquanaut LV composite sectional from Valley Kayak.

Thanks, B1, for creating a post where I have gained much information.

Thanks for all the advice, wilsoj, scupperfrank, fadedred, kshunka, tsc, ocd, grayhawk, tcvr, schizopak, gshuman, et cetera. All helped me wonderfully. I am very glad, again, that this thread will be saved in archives automatically... it contains some wonderful opinions.

Peter O, thanks for answering my questions; I learned much from your input.

Part of my decision comes from the fact that I need a sectional (despite the weight downside and increased cost and issues mentioned by Peter). I already own a Valley Nordkapp RM, a Valley Avocet RM (love them both), and a Nordkapp HM Classic carbon kevlar with Henderson pump, ocean cockpit, and compass (I am still getting used to that wonderful 44 lb boat, esp te ocean cockpit, and may sell it this summer).

The Aquanuat LV--not the standard Aquanuat--seems to be right size and speed for me. I have unstable boat in Pirjon Barracuda, which I love and it has taught me a whle hell of a lot about paddling. I still take it out often. So, I don;pt really need a "fun boat".

Part of what made up my mind, I will confess, is watching Pac Horizons DVD tonight, twice. The paddlers in that video, with all due respect to NDK kayaks, paddle tidal races and long distances in Explorers, Romanys, and Greenlander Pros. Those boats--in my opinion only--are stable, platforms lacking any real zest, and yet they sing in the right hands. I bet I can make the A'naut LV sing; at least I'l try.

My pal Bruce paddles an A'naut LV RM, and loves it; the composite is even more snug, which I relish for rolling. So, a winner.

Thanks in advance, Peter, for your great company supplying me with most of my boats. I guess you could say I am a strong customer. You will see my order come from Ryan at Geneva Kayak in Illinois. No rush, rather have your team take their time and get that legendary VCP quality build. I plan to review it as I have my other Valleys on Pnet and two other blogs to which I contribute, and will use it in Lake Michigan this summer. Yeah! I am happy already.

I'm going with all black deck and trim (I know, hot in summer--I read all the threads :-), and white hull.

You're all invited to paddle with me and the central Ilinois paddlers--a growing and active group--whenever you;re in Illnois. And maybe, if I get really antsy, I will pop this beast in the red Chevy Av and tool on over to some of you.

Happy Xmas everyone. CD1

Congrats…
I’m sure you will let us know how it is when it gets here.

I always wanted to see one with the deck and seam the same color.

Congratulations
The Aquanaut is a great boat. The 'naut LV should be fun and livelier than the full size boat.

Enjoy it when it arrives.

Hey, I’m in the SSTIKS 2007 vid
at 2:51, rolling the yellow over white Romany.

Paul

You just Made My Day!!!
First, congratulations on your boat decision. I have been reading your posts and following Wilsoj2’s responses. I did not chime in, as Jim seemed to be hitting the nail right on the head.

I used to have an Aquanauat as well. Great boat.

From reading your posts I believe that you will be happier with the Aquanaut LV than with the Nordkapp LV, although both are great boats.

But that’s not what I have to thank you for…thanks for making mention of a new kayaking DVD!!! I saw that in your post and immediately did a google search…and now I have one on order. I thought I had every kayaking dvd known to man. I had heard Bryan Smith was coming out with a dvd. Glad you made mention of it!

I would partially agree with your comment about some of the NDK boats. My Explorer is truly a great boat, but it does lack a little zest, which is why I got the Nordkapp LV.

However, if I were doing nothing but paddling in big tide races, it may be just the ticket. Certainly it is quite confidence inspring in such conditions.

However, I did want to point out that the Greenlander Pro is not such a boat. Unlike the Explorer that boat is not lacking in zest. I have one (which I am not going to keep unfortunately as I am narrowing my boat fleet to just one) and that boat is great. Very lively, maneuverable, and has a somewhat playful feel to it in rough water. In fact, despite its much different hull profile, I would place it in a similar nich as the Nordkapp LV as it is a very capable, maneuverable and fast boat that is a bit less stable than most and therefore appeals to more advanced paddlers looking for a rewarding boat to paddle.

Just a side note…the GP is one of my favorites.

Matt

1000 words
I can’t believe that there have been 136 posts on this topic and nobody specifically referenced Doug Wilcox’s very telling image of hull shapes.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_YDeW6uBEz2o/RadsrsCS80I/AAAAAAAAAcM/scse1FniIxk/s1600-h/hull_plan_shapes.jpg

It would be nice if he could have taken similar images from side and top views.

Did so on November 26

– Last Updated: Dec-09-07 4:15 PM EST –

I had included a link in a post on November 26 on this thread to the review which contains that photo. Of course that is 2 weeks and many posts ago ;-)

I'm not sure the photo itself of the bottoms of the boats is all that informing without accompanying text.

http://seakayakphoto.blogspot.com/2007/01/valley-nordkapp-lv-test.html

There are a number of photos in the review that give some more sense of the shapes of the boats.

Hull Shapes…
A few observations from that picture…first thing I notice is that the Aquanaut hull, much like the Explorer’s hull, seems to have a much longer section where the hull remains wide before tapering when compared to the Nordkapp.

This is something I have noticed about the Explorer and one of the traits that I believe makes it feel so capable and predictable in rough water…yet that also makes it a bit boring perhaps too.

I was also very surprised by the Quest’s hull. That is very drastic Swede form hull. I would not have thought that a boat like the Quest (which I believe to be P&H’s version of the Explorer) would have such a drastic hull shape.

Matt

Tis done.

– Last Updated: Dec-10-07 1:08 AM EST –

I have ordered the steed. A'Naut LV. A couple mods to my prior posting, some from the suggestion of the retailer--thank you, Ryan--and some on my own.

It will have a carbon kev hull to save weight, the Pro-light layup, with a clearcoat bottom rather than white, to show the weave. The deck, lines, and all fittings will indeed be black. Totally black. To offset the black deck and the clearcoated carb Kev hull, it will have quill gray side trim. It will have a clear keel strip.

Part of the reason I went with the Pro-lite layup is the vacuum bagging, the vinylester, and the Kev bulkheads.

Peter Orton: "Whilst our Pro and ultra Kevlar models are the only sea kayaks currently being vacuum infused in the UK. These are all cloth hull constructions moulded using vinylester resin. " Wow!

I will post mawny pictures of this sectional when I have it in springtime or summer 2008. I will look forward to paddling with many of you. Thank you.

PS my reply to Wenley's blog has the details of how I came to my conclusions about color and detail. This is a very great blog, for those of you unfamiliar with it.

G'night.

PPS I am watching your thread about spider cracks with interest, Bowler1.

Best Choice for either of us…
…however, I am a victim of hard chine/ocean cockpit love…

The Aquanaut LV should be a capable, snug, and fun boat to paddle and roll. Post some pics when you get it - and importantly - post REAL BOAT WEIGHT of the 3-piece hull. Question: are you getting it in standard FG layup and can a keel strip be added to a three piece?

Once again…congrats Steve.

Scott

Quill grey seam…
I recently saw a boat with one and really liked it. If I had seen it before ordering mine I would have got it. Should look great with the black.