NORDKAPP LV INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

A’naut LVmay be right for smaller paddle

– Last Updated: Dec-05-07 11:57 AM EST –

“At my weight (approx 190lbs) I find the Nordkapp LV the fastest, I think this is because my weight ensures more of the bow overhang is in contact with the water, extending the waterline length, lighter paddlers will find this and the pronounced rocker of the Nordkapp reduces the effective hull length making the Aquanaut quicker”—Peter Orton

I appreciate all the replies, very helpful. Thanks, Peter, for helping me out as I decide on a boat purchase. The sectional, I see, has some distinct disadvantages, but like tsunamichuck mentions, it may well be what I need for long drives with the particular truck I have (Chevy Avalanche) with enclosed back and short spread on over-cab bars. I really like the idea of a boat being safe and inside the vehicle. And for me, the extra weight of the boat might not be such a bad thing—at 165 lbs, the Kapps seems to relish some weight, and heck, I have it built right into the boat. Lucky me. J

The explanation of the Avocet vs the Nord LV vs the Aquanaut is a good one, including comments from others such as wilsoj and bruce, who own them. The waterline and paddler weight issue is well noted, Peter.

I particularly like Peter’s point that I have quoted above. Everyone who owns the Nordkapp LV mentions its relative instability (I can handle it, I have the quintessential tender boat in the Prijon Barracuda), but is it worthwhile to fight instability? What’s the upside? Why have instability if not necessary? I agree, in many ways, with what wilsoj’s friend said about the guy that switched to a more stable boat and the reason he gave.

So, if for lighter paddlers such as myself, bruce, schizopak, et al, the Aquanaut is quicker (and seemingly just as playable in surf as the Nordkapp, esp based on the Valley website descriptions and pictures of the Aquanaut), then at least based on this speed criteria, the Aquanaut would be the preferred boat. In other words, the instability of the Nordkapp LV serves little purpose (other than a challenging boat to waste crucial energy on a long paddle, and potentially become a swimmer) for the lighter paddler as it is just as fast if not faster than the Nordkapp LV for this type of paddler.

Comments from anyone?

I am glad this thread will be Archived under Advice, as indeed, bowler1 has created an interesting discourse.

Just try the kayak out…
Cooldoctor, you seem to be giving too much credence to pictures, measurements, and random reviews. Just try the boat out. You definitely shouldn’t decide if this is a good kayak for you or dropping that kind of money without thoroughly testing it to see if it fits what you’re looking for in a kayak and your personal paddling style.

For me, the Aquanaut is boring in the same way that the Explorer is boring. I prefer a nimble and responsive kayak . The instability of the Nordkapp LV is seriously being blown out of proportion. All these comments about only intermediate-advance paddlers using this kayak and stuff is really self serving more than anything. Would I put a beginner in my Nordkapp LV? Heck yes I would! Beginner surfskiers learn in boats much more tippy than most kayaks but no one is arguing that they should start in Pamlicos or something. It’s all relative to what you’re used to. (For the record, when my whitewater club and I teach beginner whitewater, we put many of our students in playboats too.) I fully believe that many people (particularly women) have better balance than I and would immediately feel stable and comfortable in the LV.

For me, the Nordkapp LV is FAST ENOUGH. I don’t care if the drag figures say that it is slightly slower than the Aquanaut. How often, if ever, are we paddling at 6-7 knots anyways? I know I tend to be ahead of the pack regardless if I’m paddling a “fast” kayak or something like a Pintail or an Anas Acuta. If I wanted speed, I’d get a surfski or a racing kayak.

The Nordkapp LV is a boat that I’d feel rock solid in the roughest conditions that I paddle in and would not be concerned that I’m wasting energy balancing on a long paddle. I’m completely stable in this kayak and the comments I made regarding the secondary stability stuff was in regards to extreme edging (further than simply dipping the coaming) and balance bracing. I would personally choose the Nordkapp LV over the Aquanaut LV every time because to me it’s just plain fun. Others may and do choose differently. Try the kayak out. Seriously.

Been told and believe it…
Is what makes the LV twitchy in light conditions is what makes it solid in big conditions.

When I first got mine it felt very twitchy and I dreaded the first time I had to take it into a sharp beam chop. To my amazement nothing happened, the waves just slid under me. The boat feels more stable in moderate conditions than in light stuff. Just keep your hips loose, power on and don’t chase the twitches.

I paddled with a Brit last winter, he said the LV was the sexiest boat in the U.K. but wondered why I would have a heavy weather boat in Florida until he paddled it and experienced the maneuverability.

Nordkapp LV
I have been watching from the sidelines here for a while and have decided to chime in, As I stated earlier I have a Nordkapp LV and Avocet and a Pintail, I was able to paddle an Aquanaut for 4 days this fall using Isle Royale as a base for day trips so I was able to experience this boat in glass smooth to very rough waters with high winds and lots of chop.(Lake Superior can be evil at times ) The Aquanaut did a fine job in all conditions but was nowhere as much fun to paddle as my Nordkapp LV and my Nordkapp fits me better (175 lbs, 6’ 1" ) I do not find that the Nordkapp LV is less stable or too twitchy nor does it demand my attention all the time, my Pintail fits that description but not my Nordkapp. Best advice going here is what has been said already, get out in one and paddle it hopefully more then once then make a decision. These are kayaks after all they are fun and useful tools that we enjoy. Most of us, my self included, don’t really care about the top paddling speed or if we can carry 2 more pounds of gear. Buy a boat you have tested that you like and enjoy, if it does not work out sell it and buy another. Most of all get out and paddle that what this is all about.

Interesting reading

– Last Updated: Dec-05-07 2:24 PM EST –

http://www.seakayakermag.com/2007/07e-newsletters/December/fastkayak.htm

I hear you, schizopak. Although I do not paddle more than about 4.6 mph (like the link says) often, having a more efficient boat certainly makes for a more pleasant day on the water when goal is 20+ miles. Efficiency, rathr than speed. I;m still digetsing that curve on the link.

Yes, I must demo. It's three hours from my house, so I have to live through your all inpuit. But true about investment and need to demo first.

I have tried many times to paddle bruce's Aquanaut LV, but each time he has an excuse to not allow me to paddle it: "Now? How about later?", "I'm sorry, I can't hear you. (as he paddles away even faster), "I think we'd have to move the footpegs and that's a real bear. Let's think about it.", or "I really am hunkered down in this A'naut now, and my foot is numb and if I try to get out I'll dump, so...no."

Kidding. Bruce is my wonderful paddling buddy and every time out he says to get in the thing, and every time out I say Next time.

Now, if he wants to defend the ridicule that you all shower upon the A'naut--that pedestrian, kayak with training wheels that is no better than a lowly Explorer-- I don;t blame him (and wilsoj),

So, I guess I have to get a NOrdkapp LV just so I am not the lauighing stock of Pnet.

Just more fun…

– Last Updated: Dec-05-07 5:29 PM EST –

"...instability of the Nordkapp LV serves little purpose"

The Nordkapp LV feels much more nimble to me than my Aquanaut. The one time thusfar I've had my Nordlow out in somewhat high winds and chop it was supremely confident.

My reasons for getting a Nordkapp LV were to have a boat that was easier to throw around than my Aquanaut, but with better speed than my Romany. The Nordlow has these traits.

In 2003 when I decided to get an Aquanaut rather than an Explorer, it was because the 'naut felt less boring and more fluid to me than the Explorer. I also liked the lower decks and feeling of better speed of the Aquanaut.

Over the past couple of years I've paddled both my Romany and Aquanaut in an array of conditions. Both are fabulous boats for an intermediate paddler. I felt more comfortable in one or the other depending on sea conditions, my abilities, and distances covered. I really did not need to get another sea kayak - these two did everything well.

I think Nigel Dennis was right in designing the Romany and Explorer as boats that average paddlers could paddle in advanced conditions. I believe positive reinforcement is effective for learning and these two boats give more positive reinforcement to advancing paddlers than most. I think Valley was very smart in developing the Aquanaut, as it too is a great learning platform that helps build confidence in an aspiring paddler. I still feel that the Aquanaut is one of the best boats available for coastal paddling. Its manners in seas are impeccable.

The experience and skills I've developed in my Romany and Aquanaut (and my ww boats) have given me the confidence to enjoy my Nordkapp LV. I am not overly concerned about its light primary and less definite secondary. I think its round somewhat veed hull, which is probably a source of these traits, contributes to its rough water equanimity.

There are a lot of good boats out there. Each paddler is different and each model kayak has a different personality. Paddlers should play with as many as possible and paddle the one(s) that make them smile the most.

Cooldoc, this might be of help…
http://tinyurl.com/39t2z4

Save paddling,

Joe

Low stability
Low stability can be seen either as a positive or negative trait depending on what you ar elooking for.

To me, low primary stability is a positive trait. It makes the boat easier to edge, more responsive to slight shifts in your weight, and will generally have a more playful and lively feel to it as it rolls underneath you in rough water.

It almost makes a bot feel more stable in rough water in that you have to apply less pressure to it to edge thus making it ultimately less stable. Sounds kind of like an oxymoron I guess.

Low primary is also not a realy problem while at rest either if you keep loose hips and have good balance.

Low secondary though…I don’t see an advantage to that, but low secondary feels more sold when combined with low primary as long as the difference in level of stability is still sufficient between the primary and secondary to give the paddler feedback about when he has the boat on its balance point.

To me, the ideal boat has low primary, and good secondary that kicks in somewhat late, thus allowing it to be edged deeply. Secondary that kicks in too early inders deep edging.

On the foam seat…DON’T DO IT!! I slid one in and tated it. Almost sold the boat before I tried it again with the stock seat. Seems like this boat paddles best as it came from the factory. The foam seat (ironically) made the boat feel a lot less stable with absolutely no perceivable distinction between primary and secondary. I really did not like it. Furmthermo it hindered my forward stroke being so low in the boat.

Matt

Matt

Guys, I mean no disrespect
and I cannot speak for Mr. Dennis, or Mr. Orton, but I’d bet money that they would encourage you to find a good boat, paddle more, and anal-ize nuances less. It’s just a kayak. Life is short, the sea doesn’t care. Are you paddlers or gear obsessed freaks. I’m amazed these boat threads go so far.

Ultimately if this obsession makes you happy then I guess that’s cool. I just pose an idea that maybe your boat fettish could get in the way of your paddling, rather than enhancing it.

Great paddlers make most boats work intuitively without thought… others search for the boat that doesn’t exist. Irony is for them no kayak likely ever will.

Surfs up again!

Well…
The quest is half the fun!

You are right in that there is no perfect boat…they all are great! Just for different reasons.

Just have to find the one that offers the best mix of attributes for you.

I really like the Explorer…and many of the other boats I have paddled. For now, I think that the Nordkapp LV may have that mix I am looking for…really! I know that sounds like something an addict might say.

Really though…you are right. Most boats are pretty similar. Only slight nuances exist among good sea kayaks…however I would argue that the Nordkapp LV is a very, very different boat. As you know, I have owned plenty. None of them feel quite like the Nordkapp. It is quite unique.

Furthermore, I think that it is true that certain boats will allow you to grow more than others given your experience level at any given time. As you improve and grow as a paddler your tastes do change and in some instance you may need to change your boat to help you to continue to grow and improve.

I am not a race car guy…but it seems like a growing race car driver may not want to start in an indy car…probably would want to start in something less advanced and then as his skills improve may want to move up to another class. May not be a perfect analogy since I am not a car guy, but maybe you get what I am driving at (no pun intended).

Indirectly using one of Salty’s analogies…you can only take the minivan so fast through the slalom. Once you have reached that point then maybe you need to change cars…unless you are satisfied being at the top of the minivan class and don’t want to go any further…swapping the minivan for a Mustang will probably give more enjoyment, better performance, and ultimately help you to become a better driver. Explorer = minivan. Nordkapp Lv = Mustang.

Just one way to look at it I guess…

Matt

I’m a gear obsessed freak. So what?

Guess the good side is
ya’ll buy boats and gear and help the paddling economy! Go for it.

Yeah, but I buy mosty used gear.
I guess that allows the sellers to buy new gear and keep the manufacurers & builders in business.

And I sell a lot of boats…
I buy a lot so I sell a lot…thus passing on some great boats and some great deals to help others increase their paddling skills and enjoyment. We all win in this siutation.

I loved my Avocet. Great boat, especially great for learning. Really helped me to refine my strokes, but then I was ready to move on.

I bought it from a passionate paddler who was very happy that it helped me to to grow as a paddler.

I sold it to someone who also wanted to grow as a paddler and was paddling something that was just a little too hard for him to turn and therefore not a good boat to grow in.

From what he has told me it has helped him to grow as a paddler as well.

The used boat industry helps everyone…and ultimately results in the manufacturer building and selling more boats. Also helps a lot of people to afford boats they otherwise could not.

And most of all…it helps gear junkies like myself to have the ability to buy and sell boats at will, thus allowing a obsessed paddler continue his search for that perfect boat (could not sfford to buy and sell boats like this if it were not for the used boat market out there).

It’s all good…we all win! Plus then it allows gear junkies like me to start posts like this…sharing information and experiences with others, allowing other gear junkies to feed their obsession…and then again probably ticking off a few others out there as well. Oh well…we’re just a bunch of paddling geeks…but that’s okay.

Again I have to say that searching for the perfect boat has been a great experience for me. I have learned and grown a lot in my journey…probably not over for good, but maybe for now.

Matt

Very helpful, scupperfrank.
Worth a reread. Thx.

Are you paddlers or gear obsessed freaks
We’re paddlers who when stuck at work or at home channel that energy into being obsessed with the gear, technique, etc…

Probably like many on this board, I am online or reading when I can’t be paddling not the other way around :wink:

Really?

Second what Wilsoj2 said…
I paddle just about every day…and then come and talk about it here…and then go upstairs and watch paddling videos…and then go to bed and start the process all over again.

REALLY pisses off my wife!

Talking and reading about it hear is enjoyable to me when I can’t be on the water and I have learned AN ABSOLUTE TON on this board. Much of which I have learned about through the thought that is required in making posts like this to share your knowledge or experiences as this makes you really sit back, think / reflect, and then consolidate your thoughts and impressions which for me is a learning process in itself that helps me to grow as a paddler.

Matt

the rest of life…

– Last Updated: Dec-06-07 10:19 AM EST –

I have a full time job (wholly unrelated to paddling), familial and professional obligations (unrelated to paddling), and live in the upper Hudson River Valley where we have real winters.

I can rarely paddle as much as I would like.

Sometimes in the gap between opportunities to paddle I have some time to sit down and catch up online with other paddlers.

I think this is a not atypical description of many posters here.

If my earnings were paddling related or I was retired I would be spending less time online and more paddling - a more temperat climate would help as well...

It seems that sometimes those who have more opportunity to paddle forget that many of us live lives that inherently restrict our time in boats.

Foam seat
Thanks for the warning Matt. I did, however, remove the seat pad and found that it made a huge difference in comfort and stability in the boat. I’m lucky in that I live where I do and can paddle this boat almost daily in a wide variety of conditions. It really is an exceptional boat.