NORDKAPP LV INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

I have an Ultra, full c/k

– Last Updated: Dec-02-07 11:35 PM EST –

It is 10 to 12 lbs. lighter than the FG and in my case I think it is less stable. In your case the curves are better and the lighter boat is wonderful to load on the car. After unloading from a camping trip I leave the hatches off and the boat is under 40lbs.

I have a friend with a LV "pro" (hull c/k) and I'll check with her on how she is liking hers.

If I may…

– Last Updated: Dec-03-07 3:54 AM EST –

Though not Peter, some observations as an intermediate paddler who has both a Nordkapp LV and an Aquanaut and who has paddled a Standard Nordkapp a little bit.

To me the goal of the Aquanaut is closer to that of an Explorer, that is 'a boat that an average paddler can use in advanced conditions' - to paraphrase Nigel Dennis.

The Nordkapp has traditionally been viewed as a boat for advanced paddlers in advanced conditions.

4.5 years ago, when I asked Tom Bergh why he no longer paddled his Nordkapp, but preferred an Explorer, he responded "...because I don't have to think about the boat." I believe this is one of the keys to the success of the Explorer and an attribute that the Aquanaut embodies.

IMHO, the Aquanaut paddles better unladen than a standard Nordkapp while having more carrying capacity - Sea Kayaker measures the Aquanaut as having more volume than a Nordkapp H2O. Peter here referred to the Aquanaut as an SUV.

The Aquanaut seems to have less rocker than a Nordkapp or Avocet. I've had my Nordkapp LV and Aquanaut sitting on level ground next to each other and the 'kapp LV has much more rocker and obviously less volume.

The one area in which I find the Aquanaut more demanding than the Nordkapp LV is maneuverability. The 'naut takes much more edge to turn well and can be a bear to turn on the face of a wave.

As far as speed, the Avocet feels like it hits the wall much sooner than the Nordlow.

Avocet V’s Nord V’s Aquanaut
wilsoj2 provides much of how I would paraphrase the differences in his reply below. The Aquanaut is a quick, expedition capable kayak that is forgiving and thus confidence inspiring. As wilsoj2 points out very much Valley’s equivalent of NDK’s Explorer

In flat-water conditions you will note very little difference in the effort required to maintain a normal group pace. However as speed picks up, say in a more enthusiastic fitness orientated group or going around a headline against a strong tidal flow the Avocet will “hit the wall first” i.e. reach a speed where substantially increased effort is required for even modest increases in speed. It has to be stressed that the same is true of all shorter boats and that off 16ft designs the Avocet is one of the quicker. Between the Nordkapp and the Aquanaut there is less difference in speed and the little there is seems to depend on paddler weight. At my weight (approx 190lbs) I find the Nordkapp LV the fastest, I think this is because my weight ensures more of the bow overhang is in contact with the water, extending the waterline length, lighter paddlers will find this and the pronounced rocker of the Nordkapp reduces the effective hull length making the Aquanaut quicker. With my weight (un-laden) the standard Nordkapp is slower than either the Aquanaut or the Nordkapp LV, again primarily because unless loaded I haven’t the weight to press the hull down fully, thereby for me the waterline length is actually shorter than for the LV. So again reinforcing what wilsoj2 says the Nordkapp is more sensitive to loading than the Aquanaut.

What I would say is the in the rough, especially in following sea’s the Nordkapp’s fly. The Avocet is obviously a strong rough water contender but the Avocets strengths are tidal rapids and surf, whereas for point to point in rough conditions I personally believe the Nordkapp has few peers, The Aquanaut will look after you very well and is exceptional as a coaching or guiding platform but for an experienced paddler running down wind in a Nordkapp is pure magic.

As for take-apart’s, I would avoid these unless I had a very specific transportation issue that absolutely required it. Yes hull wise everything remains the same, you do get a little flex in the joints but the main compromise is the weight because it is not just the additional bulkheads but the extra reinforcement required to keep everything in check. Weight increase is approx 12-15lbs. Additionally skeg control is compromised, either a cable can be fitted with the control behind the rear joint or we have to use a bungee skeg, with the cord passing over the joint to a cleat just behind the cockpit.

I hope this helps

"…as a coaching or guiding platform…"
The intended use of a boat is reflected in its performance personality.

An Aquanaut makes a very good teaching, learning, guiding platform. Its stability profile makes it an excellent rescue platform. As a boat ‘you don’t have to think about’ it is ideal for coaches and guides. If you believe that success breeds confidence and success, then the Aquanaut is an excellent schooling (student) boat. These are all traits it shares with the Explorer.

Among the traits the 'naut shares with its Valley kin is greater speed than an Explorer and a more fluid feel in clapotis and chop.

An aspect of coaching and guiding, which Tom Bergh has noted, is that from time to time one has to put a student/client in your boat. This is a situation where the Explorer excels and the Aquanaut is plausible.

I would not put a novice or uncertain/shaken paddler in my Nordkapp LV unless I wanted to discourage them from ever wanting to paddle again :wink:

Question for Peter

– Last Updated: Dec-04-07 10:17 AM EST –

Hi. I have the roto Aquanaut LV and it does everything (very well) that I require in all conditions.

At Canoecopia last year you indicated that a next boat to consider might be the Nordkapp LV.

At 150 lbs. and using the boat mainly for day trips (un-laden) on flat water or in waves up to a max of 3' or 4', based on the foregoing discussions, the Naut would appear to remain most appropriate. Agree?

I like the roto because I paddle in places where I need the strength of Valley's triple-layer plastic. I used it as an ice-breaker last week. However, I would consider a composite Naut LV if you or someone familiar with both the roto and composite models could unequivocably assert that there would be a significant difference in performance. Is there?

By the way, I would really have no problem paddling my current Naut until the end of days; much to the chagrin of my local dealer.

The Nordkapp is one of the true great
boats of sea kayaking. She is beautiful to look at and she performs so well, in so many places. Thanks for keeping the Nordkapp available and updated.

Dogmaticus

I’m a lightweight paddling the LV…
I’m 145 lbs in the summer and maybe up to 150 in the winter and I love the LV. At my weight it’s extremely responsive and I don’t really feel too light for it.

Same Sentiments about Anas Acuta
Feel the same way about Valley’s continued production of the AA. Not so sure about keyhole version. Just think the feel would be changed due to how you connect with boat, but if it means more folks experience the boat, then so much the better.

A bit of a rant and some raves at Peter
The rant: You are missing a major advantage of a 3 piece… SPACE. Think urban apartment dwellers! You can get the 3 piece in an elevator ( easily as long as the bolt sleeves are in the center piece and not the bow piece) and the set up time is much quicker than a folding kayak and no worries about frame maintenance. The rave: Other than the misplaced bolt sleeves, I am extremely happy with my 'Kapp HM Jubilee. Yeah it is a beast to carry but she is quite a blast on the water. Great boat!

T Chuck

– Last Updated: Dec-03-07 9:00 PM EST –

what year is your sectional? Is this related to year, or is mine the only sectional with the bolts in the center?

Mine was a special order (all the sectionals are)

they use to make only about 6 sectional Nordkapps in an average year, and as far as I am aware....they were all ordered to customer spects (keel strip etc)

Best wishes
Roy

and for all the people that keep saying you have to pay attention in a Nordkapp....thats not a good idea...just loosen your hips and stop thinking about the Nordkapp as a boat....it's really alive when in the water and doesn't need watching unless you try to choke it by tightning up .... it doesn't like that one bit

Prior to that I had an old HM with an ocean cockpit and will second what you say. The Jubilee HM is easier for me to turn and hold on edge than older model and I feel more secure in her than in any other boat I tried.

mine
is a 2001 too

HMMM

thought that that might be the answer…they were made when Robin was at the helm…not sure if maybe Peter or Jason would know the answer as to why mine is done with the bolts in the center.

or maybe the guy that made them made a decision

Best Wishes

Roy

my boat before the HM Jub was an old HM with a slalom cockpit (HMC) my wife still paddles it because she has never found a boat that fits her better and is as fast for a camping boat (oh and looks so good)

What Roy Said…

“and for all the people that keep saying you have to pay attention in a Nordkapp…thats not a good idea…just loosen your hips and stop thinking about the Nordkapp as a boat…it’s really alive when in the water and doesn’t need watching unless you try to choke it by tightning up … it doesn’t like that one bit”

What helped me understand the boat in open water was paddling a surfski where you have no contact with the boat and your job is to keep your torso vertical. You have to stay loose and flexible. I have a foam footrest and that allows me to bring my feet and knees closer together and have my backband very loose, this lets the boat pivot around me.

“loose hips save flips” John Carmody

– Last Updated: Dec-04-07 7:55 PM EST –

True more often than not in most boats.

However, my last unintentional flip in my Nordlow was from leaning in a manner in which I was used to my Aquanaut hanging and the 'kapp LV simply went over ;-)

(I was turned clearing debris from a friend's bow with my paddle in opposite hand to my other side.)

Nordkapp re-listed in p.net classified.
This is a beautiful looking boat. It is at a reasonable asking. Wonder why no bites?

(FL) 2007 Valley-Nordkapp(FG) excellent condition garage kept; red/black/red-w/black keel strip. Used only three times. must sacrifice $2400.00 extras included: Werner Ikilos, inlaid deck compass, nightline decklines. email me for pics! – Submitted by: bchildress

Speaking of loose hips
have any of you NLV owners replaced your seats with a foam one? It seems like the foam under the seat is ridiculously thick. I wonder how much it would affect the handling and clearance with a GP.

Seat…
I removed the foam pad on top of the seat but the seat has been very comfortable for me…

Also removed foam pad

– Last Updated: Dec-05-07 8:18 AM EST –

I also removed the stock seat pad and replaced it with 3/16" minicell.

I had actually pulled the seat. At its lowest point it is nearly on the floor of the boat. As I find it comfortable, I put the seat back and added a slightly thicker piece of foam under the forward section.

As I recall, Matt had replaced the stock seat with the Valley foam seat, but decided he liked the feel of the boat better with the stock seat which he reinstalled.

Great thread!!!
…and I just wanted to be the 100th poster to it!

HA!

Thank you!
I was hoping the thread would hit 100 before Matt found a boat he liked better :wink: