Nor'east Winter and Surf, Finally...

@sing said:

@Johnnysmoke said:
Dude, if you’ve been bike commuting through this misery, you’re f%$*ing hardcore! I can’t imagine getting out on the water in this cold, maybe a flatwater paddle if it was sunny and calm, let alone surfing. Or a sunny 20 degree day I might be game, would feel balmy at this point.
Been busy with a 4 year old, and all dad bodied out, hardly got out at all this season. Need to start some type of exercise other than shoveling. Still looking for a good boat as well, stuffing myself into boats built for 5’8 skinny dudes, not so comfortable and doesn’t leave much room for cold weather gear.
Cheers.

The bike commuting helps keep me acclimated to outdoor activities in the cold. :wink: Given a tinge of frostbite on my nose this past week from biking, it was a good barometer that even if my body is comfortable in the 6/5/4 wetsuit, my exposed face ain’t going to stand too well to the subzero windchill out in the surf.

I feel you on the fatherhood thing. But, take your time and enjoy it. It flies by quick. My little baby boys are now 28 and 24. The time just flew by. However, an empty next does have its advantages in terms of what I able to do with my freed up time. :slight_smile:

Well… Got to go out and shovel some more. Did six hours yesterday. Looks to be a several more today. Afterwards, will have to get out my snowshoes for a walk in the local reservation this weekend.

sing

If you can’t beat it you might as well join it.

Yes, just wind and ice burned my face shoveling and snow blowing vehicles out. We’re up on a hill so it’s crazy windy. A liberal application of Bag Balm before heading out would of been helpful, or a ski mask and goggles. The wind did keep a lot of the snow from settling and just blew it away, the lee side of the house is away from the street, so only the poor dog will have to deal with the deep snow out back.
I think it would be hard to keep hands and face warm today if surfing, the wind is pretty brutal. Maybe a snug fitting face mask and pogies with a lighter glove underneath? I had some nice warm 5mm gloves somewhere, can’t find them now, but remember it was like trying to hold onto a tennis ball, and would toast my hands the first time out for the season using them.
Stay warm!

Looks pretty brutal there. I was in Boston two years ago, and we stayed in Nantasket and drove out to Cape Code exploring. I saw pictures today of buildings I recognized in Hull with massive storm surge flooding. Don’t think I would be out surfing in that. I’m still out of commission I have an antibiotic resistant infection in my toe.

Rivers are all frozen over - that usually doesn’t happen until February around here, if it happens at all. This was the Charles River in Medfield, MA last weekend.

Paddlers always find the river - even if it is iced over

This week has been even colder, but we also have 18" of snow on the ground, so snowshoeing today. We’ll be hiking along the frozen Blackstone River near my house - hopefully down in the valley where we can stay out of the wind.

I think it would be hard to keep hands and face warm today if surfing, the wind is pretty brutal. Maybe a snug fitting face mask and pogies with a lighter glove underneath? I had some nice warm 5mm gloves somewhere, can’t find them now, but remember it was like trying to hold onto a tennis ball, and would toast my hands the first time out for the season using them.
Stay warm!

With gloves, I have tried different models and thicknesses through the years but have settled on MITTS by NRS (with 3 mm top and 2 mm palms) for the last 5 years. :slight_smile: Have functioned with these down to the upper teens (but not with current brutal winds). The fact the bare fingers are right next to each other helps keep the warmth way more that the separated fingers in gloves. Actually, just purchased the most recent NRS mitts which has a a changed palm material that is textured. Normally, I have to use surf wax on the paddle loom to make sure I have a controllable grip. With the new NRS mitt, I seemed to have decent control even without using wax on the paddle. Have to test it more (but with a bar of surf wax in the car).

sing

@SeaDart said:
Looks pretty brutal there. I was in Boston two years ago, and we stayed in Nantasket and drove out to Cape Code exploring. I saw pictures today of buildings I recognized in Hull with massive storm surge flooding. Don’t think I would be out surfing in that. I’m still out of commission I have an antibiotic resistant infection in my toe.

Good luck with the toe.

The storm surge damage up and down the coast with this “event” is precipitating (haha) some public talk about rising sea levels, development policies, etc. by policy folks. Duh… I think we’ll need more damage along the (rich) coastal towns before talk gets serious.

In the meantime, I know nearly a 100 houses around my homebreak got serious flooding. That is serious surge and wave action to go over the sea wall. Guess I’ll find out how much the break has changed on the next session.

sing

Short little documentary of the healing power of surf (available on netflix):

http://www.resurfacethemovie.com/

Quick enjoyable viewing after a hour of raking snow off the roof this AM. Now, just anticipating the next session (maybe from the possible “warmer” storm forecasted for next weekend).

sing

Ride on Sing!

Beautiful!

@Chuck von Yamashita said:
Ride on Sing!

Nice, Chuck. So, where does pooch sit on that fat bike. Don’t see rack or basket.

sing

Ride on Sing!

Nice, Chuck. So, where does pooch sit on that fat bike. Don’t see rack or basket.

sing

A Parisian Parson’s Hat Trick

You won’t get Paris in your pocket.
She’s not a basket case.
She’s out ahead like lead dog rocket.
Fat tires give four paw chase.

And when she tires from heading out,
she’s heading up new plan,
to top on out like Eiffel’s boast,
ahead cycling free man.

@sing said:

Ride on Sing!

sing

She runs along. Good for 20+ miles

20+ miles? That’s amazing! I think with my current and prior canine associates I might get/have gotten twenty miles. But it would have been maybe one-half mile along with me, 19+ miles of, “Where the hell did that damn dingo run off to?” Which of course, up there in your neck of the snowy plain and wood, would be answered as, “Why, to some other creature(s) dinner party.”

Still, it is fun to envision Paris, a la all the bowsprit images, as perching up on your shoulders, two front paws pinned to your Stormy Kromer as she nose-scans ahead over head. Hell, any grizzes and wolfpacks in the vicinity would tear-off in Tigger’s terror, as this Woozled Heffalumpus came cranking down the single-track.

Does Paris have boots?

@sing said:

Ride on Sing!

sing

Wow! I nominate Paris to be the official face of Purina’s “Mighty Dog” brand. :sunglasses:

@string said:
Does Paris have boots?

She refuses to wear them. I wax her paws

Good idea. My snow dog always got an ice ball in the center of his paws.

@string said:
Good idea. My snow dog always got an ice ball in the center of his paws.

It works quite well; a family member has a six-month old Irish Water Spaniel pup and uses Musher’s Secret on his feet because he’d eat the boots.

@sing said:

Ride on Sing!

sing

To my understanding that’s not all that unusual for dogs in Alaska.

I do know that in that in Iowa cold our Florida dog likes a coat and boots. He also rebels if the temp is less than 0 F.