Nor'east Winter and Surf, Finally...

@Rookie said:

@string said:
Good idea. My snow dog always got an ice ball in the center of his paws.

It works quite well; a family member has a six-month old Irish Water Spaniel pup and uses Musher’s Secret on his feet because he’d eat the boots.

Mine used to chase snowmobiles. Good exercise… She never came close to them. But she left with four booties and after a mile and a half run came back to me with three.

Mushers Secret was the solution and it works well

The rainstorm this past Friday, brought some nice swells for the weekend. Too bad, the chest/shoulder (11 second) swells were coming in with more typical winter conditions – 17 degree air temps, 41 water temp and diagonal offshore winds from the northwest. Got in about 1.5 hours of surf, before my toes and fingers began to numb. Fingers were not too bad in the NRS mitts as I could ball up fingers into a fist, once outside of the break zone, to warm them up. Nothing can be done with the feet. Time to replace the 5 mm booties with the 7 mm version.

Looks like more snow and surf possible this week. :slight_smile:

sing

Good for you for getting out, and on top a wave ski nonetheless. I sometimes feel getting out of the wetsuit afterwards is the hardest part, to me a drysuit is much easier to change out of, but the wetsuit is better suited to wear in the surf zone. Do you bring a container of warm water to pour into the suit to warm up?
I lost momentum this season, dealing with a house move in the fall, then got bronchitis, now I’m just fat and lazy. Did sign up for Tai Chi, so want to get my legs and flexibility back, then maybe back to Kung Fu in a few months. Also need to start building my shoulders back up for the upcoming season.

@Johnnysmoke said:
Good for you for getting out, and on top a wave ski nonetheless. I sometimes feel getting out of the wetsuit afterwards is the hardest part, to me a drysuit is much easier to change out of, but the wetsuit is better suited to wear in the surf zone. Do you bring a container of warm water to pour into the suit to warm up?
I lost momentum this season, dealing with a house move in the fall, then got bronchitis, now I’m just fat and lazy. Did sign up for Tai Chi, so want to get my legs and flexibility back, then maybe back to Kung Fu in a few months. Also need to start building my shoulders back up for the upcoming season.

I am really used to my wetsuits since haven’t worn my drysuits in almost ten years. IMO, the drysuits are almost useless (if not dangerous) for surfing. WIth changing out of the wetsuit in the winter, I have routine a pretty set routine that works down to teens. Most important Start up the car and warm it up before attempting to change. Blast the heater, stand in front of an open door on the lee side of the car to get a warmer (micro climate) spot for changing. I carry two one gallon containers of hot water that are kept warm by covering/insulating with my towels over and a piece of foam pad underneath while I surf I then pull my wetsuit top off to the waist, rinse with hot water and then pull on my favorite heavy cotton pancho to finish getting out of the wetsuit and drying off.

(https://www.curvesurf.com/products/hooded-surf-towel-poncho-surf-poncho-towel-surf-changing-robe-surfer-poncho-cotton-el-poncho-changerobe-curve)

I also use crocs when I am rinsing and then stand barefoot on a 2’ carpet square (with a rubber bottom) to finish getting out of the wetsuit.

Good luck with getting back into shape. Parenting obviously takes up time. I make my work-out routines as accessible and integrated into my home environment and daily life as possible. This is a big help in keeping on track with regular workouts. For me, that is daily biking to work and then supplementing with 3 or 4 work outs with a heavy bag and light weights in the basement/garage, and doing wind sprints on my hilly street. I only go to the gym once or twice a week. I think If I rely on going to the gym, I would end up doing less because the gym is 30 minute drive each way detour with the car and more of a psychological hurdle (I hate driving).

sing

Almost grim with the ice brim,
and yet the face shows peace,
ocean with ice movement’s entice,
returned shore man released.

Wow. That warm water must help with multiple extractions. Don’t recognize the pfd brand, but I do like that large clamshell pocket across the chest, with what appears to be a loop pull. Does that mean there’s a hook-n-loop/Velcro seal? If so, does that freeze up on occasion? I can remember on some past icy riparian voyages not being able to open velcroed pants cuffs for over-boot removals.

Also, in considering past debates here on the board regarding knives to be worn on pfds (not seeing how they’re always necessary to be readily at hand, accept in situations of possible errant lines and entrapment potentials, or possibly should one need to foolishly lash out at large shark which has taken one’s hull into its toothy muzzle), I see here where the fixed blade would be better than a folding blade, which would likely be frozen shut within its handle, likely with no mittened, gloved nor bare digit able to extract. Of course, if it weren’t such a weighty, cumbersome pain, perhaps an ice axe would be the best all-around tool, for chipping off wetsuits and bilge ice rime, let alone Amos Moses-ing misguided squalus from their seal-sighted wave ski snacking.

@sing said:

@Johnnysmoke said:

I am really used to my wetsuits since haven’t worn my drysuits in almost ten years. IMO, the drysuits are almost useless (if not dangerous) for surfing. WIth changing out of the wetsuit in the winter, I have routine a pretty set routine that works down to teens. Most important Start up the car and warm it up before attempting to change. Blast the heater, stand in front of an open door on the lee side of the car to get a warmer (micro climate) spot for changing. I carry two one gallon containers of hot water that are kept warm by covering/insulating with my towels over and a piece of foam pad underneath while I surf I then pull my wetsuit top off to the waist, rinse with hot water and then pull on my favorite heavy cotton pancho to finish getting out of the wetsuit and drying off.

(https://www.curvesurf.com/products/hooded-surf-towel-poncho-surf-poncho-towel-surf-changing-robe-surfer-poncho-cotton-el-poncho-changerobe-curve)

I also use crocs when I am rinsing and then stand barefoot on a 2’ carpet square (with a rubber bottom) to finish getting out of the wetsuit.

Good luck with getting back into shape. Parenting obviously takes up time. I make my work-out routines as accessible and integrated into my home environment and daily life as possible. This is a big help in keeping on track with regular workouts. For me, that is daily biking to work and then supplementing with 3 or 4 work outs with a heavy bag and light weights in the basement/garage, and doing wind sprints on my hilly street. I only go to the gym once or twice a week. I think If I rely on going to the gym, I would end up doing less because the gym is 30 minute drive each way detour with the car and more of a psychological hurdle (I hate driving).

sing

Sing, you are a lot tougher than I am. Until I saw your photo, I always thought you were a much younger guy.

@sing said:

sing

Good advice on integrating workouts into the home environment. I have enough stuff to get workouts going at home, just need to get my but in gear.

Got back home this weekend from the west coast. On time for the little snow we are having and hopefully a lot of waves to follow. Went to Stars for brunch this past Sunday, followed by a nice walk down 'Tasket beach in the short warm up. Noticed a lot stones tossed over the seawall onto the streets, into the parking spaces from the last storm. Makes me wonder what the homebreak on the north shore is going to look like. Will find out tomorrow, hopefully. Dawn patrol forecast for shoulder to head high medium swells.

Cowabunga!

sing

Was down there Sunday taking the family for a walk, and was able to slip down Tuesday as well to check out the stormy conditions. Was pretty knarly and very cold, hands were freezing just taking pics, killed any thoughts of sneaking out Wednesday. Need a still 25 degree say with some nice long interval waist highs to get started again.
The restaurant Schooners, right near the south side of the beach, is decent for seafood. It’s where the locals go.
Hope you get out soon!

@sing said:
Got back home this weekend from the west coast. On time for the little snow we are having and hopefully a lot of waves to follow. Went to Stars for brunch this past Sunday, followed by a nice walk down 'Tasket beach in the short warm up. Noticed a lot stones tossed over the seawall onto the streets, into the parking spaces from the last storm. Makes me wonder what the homebreak on the north shore is going to look like. Will find out tomorrow, hopefully. Dawn patrol forecast for shoulder to head high medium swells.

Cowabunga!

sing

Sing, you Da man!