North Shore Atlantic- Impex Currituck?

Since the new North Shore Atlantic and and the Impex Currituck have their lineage to the old North Shore Shoreline, are these two boats for all practical sense of the word pretty much the same hull, just different manufactures today? If they are really different from each other such as amount of 'V" or amount of rocker etc. then what are the differences and are these differences really going to be easily recognized by the average paddler?

Depends on the paddler
I have both in my instructional fleet and here on the Showroom floor.

For me at 6’ 182lbs the Atlantic has a smoother transition from primary to secondary stability than the Currituck. The Currituck seat pan is quite flat and I don’t even bother with the back band. The Atlantic I like to use the backband a touch just to keep my tail bone off the slight rise off the back of the moderately ergo shaped seat pan.

The hulls are ever so slightly different but give you a different feel on the water.

That’s about as close as electrons are going to allow.

You’ve got to try both to decide for yourself.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

Aquanuat LV
Similar to the other two or quite different?

Aquanaut LV vs. Currituck
I cannot comment on the North Shore Atlantic, I have not yet paddled one. I have owned an Aquanaut LV (composite) for the last three years and I have paddled the Impex Currituck quite a bit.

I should state that I have a strong bias towards boats that fit me well. I’m 5’ 9" and 153 pounds. The Aquanaut LV provided me with an excellent fit, however, the Currituck did not. Its cockpit is designed for someone larger than myself and I tended to slide around a bit in the Impex seat pan. I could not get into the Currituck butt first, followed by my legs, unless I really worked at it. It was a snap in the Valley. I found the Aquanaut both more maneuverable and a shade quicker than the Currituck, but ymmv. I also preferred both the initial and secondary stability profile of the 'naut LV over the Currituck. Lastly, I found Valley’s build quality to be a bit better, but in fairness the lay-up quality of an Impex boat is not bad.

If you are looking at a Valley Aquanaut LV you should also consider the P&H Cetus LV. I will shortly be replacing my Aquanaut LV with one.

Sizing
Varney,

Going on what TVC has mentioned, what is your sizing rather than just guessing at how every kayak under the sun is going to behave what size paddler is going to ride in this kayak?

See you on the water,

Marshall

Hyde Park, NY

Not for me

– Last Updated: Jul-10-10 11:09 AM EST –

But for somebody else who is looking to getting into the sport, but has an outdoor background. The person is short, stalky and full hips-thighs (they were really way to tight at thigh brace area in my Explorer) so I'm trying to relay to them what boats they might want to try that happen to be available in their area. Because of their smaller height was thinking 16 to 17 feet and 22" or slightly larger beam, but must have some volume in the cockpit. Open to suggestions and they are willing to demo what is available in their area. Just trying to narrow the field for them as they are brand new and wouldn't know where to begin. Other boat ideas given to them have been the Impex Susquehanna, and Cetus LV or possibly MV. I originally asked on the Currituck vs Atlantic because several Curritucks at an excellent price have come up for them. Gulfstream also available locally , but I'm thinking it might simply be too big in the thighbrace area?

calypso/curritck
after owning a calypso (the original atlantic) and having owned a currituck, I am pretty comfortable in saying the calypso/atlantic hull is a nicer handling boat. surfs better and rides dryer.

Differences
Going from memory I would have said the Currituck had less rocker but looking at the pictures on websites and a Currituck conveniently sitting on a roof rack at the marina today they look really similar. Main difference is the straighter sheer at the bow of the Currituck along with the Impex-style distinct carrying “beak” at the front. The sterns looked identical to my eye.

While trying to get comfortable with the Valley seating in my Atlantic I tried moving the seat 3/4" forward, both to get some more space between the backband and rear coaming and to get my toes away from some glassed-in bumps underneath where some deck fittings are. I was surprised that this fairly minor change had a significant effect on the stability behavior, changing it from completely predictable and comforting to something less so. After a second paddle to make sure it wasn’t my imagination I quickly put the seat back to the original location. So it’s possible at least some of the noted difference in the respective boats behavior is simply due to where their seats position your backside.

Mike

Location?
Great try-out list! Where is this mystery third person paddler located. Try-outs are rather tough to do online.

See you on the water,

Marshall

Hyde Park, NY

Relocating

– Last Updated: Jul-12-10 2:25 PM EST –

The Northeast will be home for them. I've given them the list of shops in New Hampshire and Mass that offer demos on site and have the boats being discussed. One thing I've learned and also seen others go through is the fact that to much emphasis is placed on a certain hull, boat, design etc. and not enough on how a boats true performance may be far more related to the fact that they are all body specific, not body universal. As universal as an Explorer is for many, I wouldn't pick it for this person after seeing them in mine.

Tahe Reval Midi?
The new Tahe Reval Midi has the same hull as the North Shore Atlantic, but at a nicer price:

http://www.tahemarine.com/?module=Product&id=62

Not quite
Only have a TM picture to work from but the tape measure on the Atlantic here in the Showroom says 16’10" not 17’1". TM picture doesn’t tell me anything else about volume distriubution and hull shape so don’t know the similarities to North Shore. Quite a weight range that TM lists for each layup. Northshore boats are $3200 FG.

See you on the water,

Marshall

Hyde Park, NY

Dimensions…

– Last Updated: Jul-14-10 5:03 PM EST –

For some reason the dimensions of a kayak always seem to vary depending of who is doing the measuring. TM received the rights for the Shoreline (Reval Mini LC) and the Atlantic (Reval Midi) hull through a cooperation with Arend Bloem in Holland.

Stanley
Only have what my Stanley tape measure and the Atlantic in front of me tell me.

See you on the water,

Marshall

Hyde Park, NY

Same but Different?
I did a quick overlay in Photoshop of the Atlantic and the Reval Midi - they are pretty identical in hull shape with some very minor variations. But there is one very noticeable difference between the two - the Reval cockpit is considerably further forward in the boat than the Atlantic. After doing the overlay I looked at them again individually and it is noticeable to the naked eye, the Atlantic cockpit is more rearward, the Reval cockpit more forward. I imagine this would have a pretty significant impact on feel and performance of the two kayaks, albeit the same hull?

(ps. I was looking at the Atlantic so interested when this thread came up)

It could
as I noted above. However, when looking at pictures one has to be careful not to be fooled by linear distortions introduced by the camera lens and perspective.

I would say that is the case here, the boat on the TM site in all likelihood has the same oval hatch covers front and back, yet in the picture the rear one appears much more oblong. I doubt the cockpit is really as far forward as the picture suggests.

Mike