Northeast Multi-day paddle for big group

Hi paddlers.

A large group of friends and I have been going on an annual canoeing trip in New England for the past 6 years. There are usually 16-20 of us. (I know…) We typically do a 4 day/3 night trip. We’ve tried a few rivers… the best being the Penobscott up in Maine. It’s remote, so it is absolutely beautiful, and you can go days without seeing other people (and spoiling their afternoon when a train of 20 paddlers comes by).

I’m trying to find a new spot to try this year, somewhere in the Northeast. Our main issue is, of course, the size of our group. Many rivers don’t have camping for groups that large… We are all decent paddlers, and experienced in the outdoors (two Eagle Scouts!). So we can handle anything, but are most interested in privacy (for our own and others’ sake). We just need something within a half-day’s drive of New York City, and of course we do not own 10 canoes, so we need somewhere with an outfitter.

If anyone has any recommendations, I’d love to hear them!

Thanks!

Delaware River
Kittitany Canoes or Indian Head Canoes. Bases and campsites along the way. 4 days you can cover quite a long way with the current. It definitely won’t be as remote as what you’re used to.

Have fun.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

Group size an issue on the Allagash
you have to camp and travel in groups of no more than 12 and separated by distance.

http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/programs/history/allagash/allagashrules.htm

3.3 section B of the rules

Perhaps your group has two factions?

“You know” what?
That groups that large disturb just about every human and animal on the water and at campsites? Cause environmental damage? There are reasons why group size is limited in many areas. The reasons are good enough to apply them yourself even if there is no specific regulation in the area.

I was once assigned a kayak campsite next to a group about that size. Paddled many miles up the lake to find a mega compound next door. Wretched experience.

Big groups
Maybe with a group that size you should stay in NYC.and save the enviorment here in New England

RI
The Kayak Center Of RI in North Kingston. You might be able to do some river and salt pond and coastal paddling. There is camping at campgrounds close by.

Not wilderness but beautiful place to paddle.