Norther lights

North and east of Baltimore. Camera increases visibility.

Not the same as up north, but fsiy impressive.

3 Likes

That was a big one, we have had them up here for a few days this week but that one tonight went all the way overhead and not surprisingly that it was visible so far south. Lasted about 15 minutes but we have some dancing up here again now

1 Like

First time for me.

1 Like

And in NW South Carolina. I’m told it’s from solar flares.

2 Likes

Dang sweet one!

How’d you make out in the storm?

I could see it at my house in RI that is near the light pollution from 3 shopping centers. Must have been really amazing in the dark.

The effect was barely visible here with the city lights on the horizon, nothing more than a colored cloud, but the camera brought out the colors and easily doubled what you could see with the unaided eye. It has to be brilliant further north. Once in a lifetime down this far south.

1 Like

Here’s a couple from up near Lake Ontario

There was an initial very red flash at 7:30 and a second round around 10:15 with much more green. I like the pic of the moon/ aurora together

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

You got to see the streaks. Beautiful!

1 Like

Our house got through with no damage. Many of our neighbors weren’t as fortunate.

2 Likes

I stepped out just before going to bed and saw it. I didn’t know they it was suppose to happen. We haven’t had cable or WiFi since Helene came through 15 days ago. Cell reception is just getting stable now. Finished cutting up a down tree today and yard clean up completed.

2 Likes

We just came in from canoeing the boundary waters near Ely, MN. My wife has never seen the northern lights, and was really looking forward to it. We found out the best night was a very clear night we were on a small lake called Jordan Lake. But it cools down fast when it’s perfectly clear, and we had had quite a series of portages. So we were all bundled up in the tent and slept through the night. We saw some pretty bright white bands of light on Thursday night. No light pollution. No noise pollution. You could see the reflection of stars on the lake brighter than we can often see them in the sky. And the shadows of trees from just the starlight. So quiet. The slightest breeze from calm you’d think was a gale coming in. What sounded like a great beast like a bear or moose outside the tent would be a grouse. Such peaceful quiet. The fall colors were at perfection I’d say. We both are sad to be leaving.
How ironic that one of the things we were hoping to see at the northern border show up at home during the time we’re up here!

2 Likes

brrr, a cool month to paddle them waters (though no crowds (and no permits rqrd in Oct.? or have they changed))
Many years ago, on my paddles around L. Superior, I would start quite early (pre-dawn), and would often see the Northern Lights. Quite a show.

1 Like

Starting Oct 1st it’s still just a self-issue no-charge permit, but still required. We had a 2 day weather delay last Sat and Sun, but the rest of this week was beautiful. Some frost Tues morning, but it warmed through the day.

We just went to Iceland and saw nothing but clouds. I guess to make up for it, they came to us in Baltimore!

4 Likes