Northern Michigan

Looking for campground suggestions. We have a group of 30-40 for an annual canoe trip in northern lower Michigan. We really like campgrounds that are on the river we’ll be canoeing but it’s not a deal breaker. Any suggestions on good, fun campgrounds for us would be appreciated. Thanks

Camp ground
Well, I don’t know what river you want to camp on, so that’s hard to make a suggestion for.

However, I liked Hoeft State Park when I was there once. It’s easily accessible, and right on Lake Huron. It’s an easy walk from most of the camp sites to a nice beach on Lake Huron.

eastern UP
If you are willing to drive an additional hour into the eastern Upper Peninsula, there are nice group campgrounds on the Tahquamenon River which is a very pleasant stream to canoe – you can do several day trips above the falls.

Pine River
Been many years since I paddled the Pine but there were several campgrounds along the way. Internet search on the Pine should provide answers.

Cool Water is on the Pine
Groups that I paddle with use them for some larger gatherings.

www.coolwatercamp.com/

State parks such as Interlochen have group sites that can be reserved as does Sleeping Bear.

check out the Manistee river
You have a large group. The Manistee is a larger river. Here’s a good trip report:

http://www.paddling.net/places/showReport.html?230