Northstar Northwind Solo or Phoenix?

Everything from day trips on local rivers and lakes to extended wilderness expeditions in northern CAN, and that quick, it just rained like crazy and river are up and running fast and I’m paddling…trip
I like the Northwind Solo at 15.6 but the asymmetric of the Phoenix, not a lot of local WW, some small stuff, I’s, some II’s, needs to be nimble in the small, swift streams yet track on the flat water. Expedition / exploration ready, yes, needs to be outfitted and ready. Looking for a solo canoe. I have plenty of yaks. Want something good to take the dog too… What do you think? N-Wind Solo or Phoenix or other?
Krusty

Had same dilemma , went with the north wind solo. I take a my 70 lb Golden paddling , but just ordered so it will be a while for review. I have a wenonah prism but I find it’s a bit hard to turn with zero rocker, I hope I like the north wind

I have the Northwind solo and it is a great all round canoe especially for my wildlife photography. Mine is the carbon layup with the synthetic gunnels. The only problem I am having with it is my 12 year old granddaughter climbs in it and leaves me with the Swift Osprey when she goes with me. I can't imagine anyone not loving this solo canoe. I have owned or have paddled most of the top solo canoes and the Northwind solo is at the top of the list.

Krusty, it would be helpful to know how much you weigh, how tall you are, and whether you plan to sit or kneel. I’d also be curious whether you paddle hard or are comfy with a more leisurely pace. I’ve owned both a Phoenix and a NW Solo and they are both nice boats. In general I’d say most folks would be happier with the NW Solo. The Phoenix is a river boat that also works OK on flat water and the NW Solo is a lake boat that works well on slow rivers but isn’t made for fast moving water. The Phoenix is far more nimble but quite a bit less efficient for cruising. Both can handle a dog easily yet NW Solo has a lot of initial stability so it’s better for sitting and a little better for a dog. Phoenix is available in the bulletproof IXP lay-up so better for expeditions and bouncing off rocks and there is a used one for sale somewhere around the Midwest. Personally I’d prefer a Hemlock Peregrine over a NW Solo for a fine cruising lake boat that still turns “cooperatively” and if your load is around 225 or more and you have long arms I might recommend a Swift Shearwater as a fine cruising boat that’s faster than a Phoenix but not as fast as a NW Solo but it turns better than a NW Solo and is comfortable on any type of water…and it’s a superb dog boat.

Tom I hope Krusty has a boat by now… The OP was resurrected from the tomb.

@kayamedic said:

Good catch. I won’t hold my breath waiting for feedback from Krusty.

@TomL said:

@kayamedic said:

Good catch. I won’t hold my breath waiting for feedback from Krusty.

Sorry . I should have not posted that publicly!