Northstar Trillium - looking for comments, owners

@eckilson said:
I need a paddle for Christmas - I think I am going to try the 56" Saranac for playing around in the Wildfire. I use a 58" Werner Bandit for most paddling. It’s a brick, but it is what I am use to.

Be careful… You might fling it away accidentally…
I have a Zav too . Its a bent though and not my favorite for doodling in circles (aka" dear did you drop something in the water?") but I use it alot to get places in a hurry… Once you have tried one wood seems so heavy. But I too like the feel of it and I like a symmetrical paddle that has no front or back

Oh boy - here we go…

Where I paddle, frequently in shallows, I should really use a squared bottom, short bladed, wide paddle, So of course what I’m drawn to are long bladed, skinny, beaver/otter tailed and voyager paddles. But hey, that’s consistent with my kayak paddles - I’ve been a Greenland paddle guy for years. In the Malecite a shaft length of about 31" is what has been working for me, but I’ll need to re-calibrate for the Trillium- sitting closer to the water.

While I’m an old(er) dog, but I’m still trainable, so time to experiment. The Fox Works Saranac looks nice, as does the Grey Owl. The Dogpaddles are really beautiful.

The nice thing about working (part time) at the boat shop (Newbury Kayak and Canoe) is access to stuff. We carry Bending Branches, so I’ll probably start my square end trials with them. We also have Werner, but I’m going to stay away from the carbon blades for now - nothing wrong with them, I just like the feel of wood.

And of course I’ll do the “gee, can I try that” when I see others.

@kayamedic: I’ll reach out the next time I’m up there. Do you usually bring a selection to the Maine Canoe Symposium? I’ll be signing up for your solo class again this year.

I usually don’t as paddles can be mixed up with the camp paddles and get lost that way. Its happened to me twice… no biggie as I am close enough to the site but still knot in the stomach producing

But I can bring some for you and you can try them out as you do bring things back!

It’s great if you can test paddle paddles before choosing one! I have a Grey Owl Chieftan that was the best one out of about 8 at the former local canoe shop in Ann Arbor. I think Bending Branches makes some nice paddles…I’ve got one that got used yesterday.

Hey Keith, Congrats!!! Sounds like you found “The One” !! Id be curious to try it if we cross paths down the road. I had really considered the Trillium but would have had to buy it without trying it and wasn’t thrilled with that. But i’m having a blast i my 15.

Hey Ken - absolutely you can try it out. Not sure when it gets here, depends on if it’s on the first or second truck coming East for the 2018 season. I’ll let you (and the rest of the folks on the thread) know when it gets here and send some pictures of first paddle.

Glad to hear you’re having fun with the new boat - and a bit jealous (you’ve got yours already). Post more pictures!

Ice up…
Bets on ice out?

No idea. What’s the usual?

@TomL said:

@TomL said:

TomL ??.. Which Kneeling Pad is your Pup relaxing on in your boat? It looks like it may be a bit more comfy that what i am using presently.

Thanks

Ken

HI Ken. I use two T-pads…that you can find on the northstar canoe website or the mountainmanoutdoors site. They are thicker and better than the Bell pads I used for years and the nonskid bottom works better too. I like them.

I think they are similar to the pads Dan Cooke offered at one time. A while lot better than the old Bell pads
But Tom you also seem to have a dog bed!

Yes, I could not remember who made them originally. I bought one years ago at a kayak shop in Ann Arbor and picked up the other recently at Carl’s in Madison. The coonhound has a very thin coat so I keep experimenting…dog bed, blanket, dog sweater, my scarf. My wife says it’s ok to leave the dog at home but so far I can’t do it.

April April April!!!

Checked in, the Trillium is tentatively scheduled for April delivery. I’m just a bit excited (ya think?).

Gonna be some fun.

Hoping to get the “Pure Bunny” (my Malecite) on the water in March - it’ll be dry suit water, but that’s fine. Want to have the kinks out for the new boat.

Name to be announced later.

If you’re in the area hope some of y’all can make the Maine Canoe Symposium (June 8-10). I’ll have the boat there if you want to give it a try. It’s a great event.

April!

@kattenbo said:
April April April!!!

Checked in, the Trillium is tentatively scheduled for April delivery. I’m just a bit excited (ya think?).

When it comes in let us know, I’ll bet we could get a group together before June.

Looking back at the paddle discussion on this post, I did end up getting the 56" Fox Worx Saranac for Christmas. I have used it a couple of time, but it is going to take some getting use to. It definitely has a bigger blade than the Werner Bandit that I am use to. It is nice to have a symmetrical paddle for in-water recoveries, and it works great for bow jams.

Quick update - truck is supposed to leave Northstar mid-month, should have Trillium shortly after.

Getting very hard to wait.

Anticipaaaaation is making you wait :’(

Maine lakes still iced in. Even Sebago except the real deep part

Glad I live in the South. Been out on 5 short paddles to knock the rust off and get ready for Maine Canoe Symposium, and a trial paddle with a customer at the shop. Water’s still cold, but at least it’s not solid.

I really enjoyed reading this post. I have owned several solos. My goto boats are a Curtis Kevlar solo tripper, and a Mohawk 14 Rolalite depending on where i am paddling. I lost my canine companion last fall, and will have to learn how to paddle a new trim. I miss her.

Sorry to hear about your loss. It’s tough. I’ve got 40lbs of “movable ballast” myself - Iain the boat dog -

so have a bit of a sense.

He’s in a Malecite in the picture, and the Trillium is getting closer - I can just feel it.