NOT new here ...

As a matter of fact I’m 1 of the old forts who has been away for awhile from here… bet u guys thought I was dead! HAHA!! Well a few injuries down and Im still kicking! Starting to camp alot more as I now have a Sylvansport Go camper trailer…awesome lil trailer and I am just outfitting it! Got a bike rack on…check! Next up a kayak rack and maybe another kayak/kanu! Ya there i said it… KANU! I am looking at getting an old Town Next Kanu…i still cant wrap my head around canoes but this will be an alternative and I will still use a kayak paddle!..

More current pic of me and my hairy kids aka Lil G,Georgia and Woody…
I am wondering if anyone has a used Old Town Next Kanu for sale preferably in gray,purple or the lime green? Let me know k?
Linda

HaHa. Dogs don’t belong in kayaks :wink:

Welcome Back!

@Chuck von Yamashita said:

As Scooby would query, “Wogs! Wuhr???”

I see Ha Ha Tonka was correct in singing, “All the usual suspects!”

@canoeswithduckheads said:

Ya they fall outta them Chuck! HAHA!! Woody went in the drink in Grayson Lake in KY a couple years ago! he needed rescuing…we got wet!

@SeaDart said:
Welcome Back!

Thanx! I will be here to stay so look out!

@canoeswithduckheads said:

I was expecting u to say something about the Wicked Woman of Windsor with the red hair TW! HAHA!!

She’s got a big enough cockpit for bigger dogs. The Next canoe isn’t much larger.

@fireh0se said:
Ya they fall outta them Chuck! HAHA!! Woody went in the drink in Grayson Lake in KY a couple years ago! he needed rescuing…we got wet!

The Curtises (who make Hemlock canoes in upstate NY near Rochester) have a used Curtis Mayfly solo canoe for sale right now for $895. MUCH lighter than an Old Town Next (31 pounds instead of 49 pounds or more for the Next) and sleeker and more fun to paddle. They designed the Mayfly specifically for average sized women. I have the slightly smaller Curtis Ladybug and use a kayak paddle with it. It’s the third one down on the list – not your preferred color (this one is nice deep orange) but most of a canoe is in the water anyway – you can’t see the color when you are paddling!

http://www.hemlockcanoe.com/used--demo-canoes.html?fbclid=IwAR1W5UVO1DxpGK-hOtGdUJqfi-c92AKvYMTUBHaGIW4FkkOOVRSxRuu0u4w

@Overstreet said:

She’s got a big enough cockpit for bigger dogs. The Next canoe isn’t much larger.

That kayak is 71 pounds! Too heavy for every day use for me now! The Kanu is about 20 pounds lighter and paddle like a kayak…

@willowleaf said:
The Curtises (who make Hemlock canoes in upstate NY near Rochester) have a used Curtis Mayfly solo canoe for sale right now for $895. MUCH lighter than an Old Town Next (31 pounds instead of 49 pounds or more for the Next) and sleeker and more fun to paddle. They designed the Mayfly specifically for average sized women. I have the slightly smaller Curtis Ladybug and use a kayak paddle with it. It’s the third one down on the list – not your preferred color (this one is nice deep orange) but most of a canoe is in the water anyway – you can’t see the color when you are paddling!

http://www.hemlockcanoe.com/used--demo-canoes.html?fbclid=IwAR1W5UVO1DxpGK-hOtGdUJqfi-c92AKvYMTUBHaGIW4FkkOOVRSxRuu0u4w

Thanx but I would actually be worried about Woody putting his feet thru that…I did that with my QCC once and tht wont happen again in that kayak…

Why would he “put his feet through that”? It is made of tough fiberglass. It isn’t fragile. Curtis did excellent lay-ups. I have never heard of a dog putting a foot through a kayak hull. How did that happen? Was the QCC a carbon hull? Carbon is light but brittle.

By the way, if you choose a Next, check the weight of whatever boat you choose BEFORE you buy it. Several people who have bought them since they came out have reported that their boats weigh as much as 5 pounds more than the weight posted by Old Town.

@fireh0se said:

That kayak is 71 pounds! Too heavy for every day use for me now! The Kanu is about 20 pounds lighter and paddle like a kayak…

Lately I have been paddling inflatables quite a bit. Lightness, portability and easy of set up are quite nice. Slower than my fiberglass sea kayaks but more comfortable for Paris

The Curtis Mayfly is actually smaller then the Lady Bug, not larger.

The Mayfly is for petites… Not average size women… And no animal would put its feet through a Curtis boat. Dave actually gives construction seminars.

@kayamedic said:
The Mayfly is for petites… Not average size women… And no animal would put its feet through a Curtis boat. Dave actually gives construction seminars.

Well, my horse put it’s foot through mine :wink:

I had read that the Mayfly is 5" longer than the Bug so it must be lower volume (which would make sense proportionally). I should have said “shorter” not “smaller”.

Yeah, looking at my Bug I find it hard to believe anything without hooves and a good kick behind them could puncture the hull. Certainly not a dog.

Lady Bug (two words) from 1983 Curtis Catalog vs. Mayfly from 1986 Curtis Catalog

“the Mayfly is simply a smaller version of the Lady Bug”

Length . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13-8 vs. 12-5

Hull widths

• at gunwales . . . 26 vs. 24.5
  • at max . . . . . . . . 29 vs. 26.5
  • at 4" WL . . . . . . . 27 vs. 25

Depths

• bow . . . . . . . . . . . 16.5 vs. 16.5
  • center . . . . . . . . . 12 vs. 11.5
  • stern . . . . . . . . . . . 15 vs. 15

Weights

• fiberglass . . . . . . . 36 vs. 31