Novice kayak paddler thinking about getting a Pakboat

Thanks for the update, and congratulations!

Regarding the bag, mine did come with shoulder straps and can be used like a backpack. I agree, not sturdy enough for dragging across rough ground, but then I have only carried it across the ground where I have gone.

The foot pegs I got form Pakboat and large and sturdy. They are very comfortable, as good as what we have in our P&H Cetus form what I can tell so far. It is interesting that your dealer does not have them. The link you sent are not what I got, so there seams some difference between what you can get and what I can get. Curious.

I have an idea which footpegs you got, I believe they’re all outsourced from a Finnish brand called Kajak Sport and then only the custom fittings to adapt it to pakboat is done in house. They have the exact same footpegs for another line of their boats under the Nortik brand.

So they stock them but they won’t sell them for the Pakboat line anymore. They said if I really wanted they could change the pedals for me but they’d charge 25 euros extra. This seemed an unreasonable price and I decided not to, all the more given that a rudder is no longer an option.

Interesting. I think you have it sorted out, as mine do say “Kajak Sport” on the foot peg itself. The rails look different, as you say, fitted for PakBoat. Here is what mine look like.

I have replaced two of the Pakboat carry bags with regular airline luggage, rolling duffles with built in wheels. My small Puffin fits in a 34" x 12" x 16" with room for all my paddling gear (4 piece paddle, PFD, pump, sprayskirt, goretex pants and jacket, Pelican box, gloves, water boots, etc.) The larger Quest fits in a somewhat larger Timberland brand duffel, the kind hockey goalies often use for their gear – the longer frame pieces fit in that better and my two piece Greenland paddle fits also. I also have my old Feathercraft folding kayak backpack which can fit either of the Pakboats. But the carry bags that came with my Pakboats are pretty well made with decent material so I wonder what kind of bag came with yours. I just didn’t like the design of them or the fact that they did not have extra room for my paddling gear. I actually got the bags use quite reasonably at off price store like TJ Maxx (I am sure there are such chains in Europe, I know TJ Maxx in the UK is called TK Mxx).