Novice solo canoe, big guy

I have paddled with shawh several
times in boats that s/b faster than his, a Wenonah Voyager and a PBW Rapidfire.He always gets ahead, but he is a guy who really knows how to solo.

Swift Shearwater
Sweet boat, cruises with low effort and turns easily. Will take your weight effortlessly. One of the highest volume solos available. I miss mine and would buy another in a heartbeat. Quite stable sitting.

You need to try one of you can find one.

Lots to think about from everyone!
Singling out Memphis, I agree that demoing will provide only a vague sense of what’s appropriate for me in the long run. The problem here is I have so little to go on, every solo canoe I get in will most likely feel tippy after the OT Stillwater, and I can imagine that getting a feel of a particular canoe will take many more hours on the water than a demo or three.

I think this process would be akin to my other hobby, which is pool and custom pool cues. The first cue I custom ordered I had no idea what I was looking for; these days, I know exactly what species of tonal woods-weight-balance-taper I want, but the process took years. I don’t expect the learning curve for discovering a preference in canoes to be any less steep.

In other words, I don’t expect to land a canoe tailored to my needs on the very first try (or third!)

Having said that, I will definitely try to demo as many models as I can, and thanks to all of you I have an idea of the kind of vessel I’ll be looking for (as well as some names that keep popping up—the shearwater for instance).

Thank you all again, and I’ll keep checking back for more!

Buying canoes cross-country
It occurred to me that I have no idea what shipping involves when buying a canoe located several states away (or in canada, my god). If anyone can shed light on this that’d be great. I’d like to not limit myself to the northeast if at all possible.

If you have the option
to get some qualified instruction before you purchase, do it. A skilled paddler can paddle nearly any hull. It’s the paddler’s knowledge that is much more important than the hull. Yes, you need to get a boat that will do what you want to do well, but paddling skill will help you determine that more easily. Also gives you a chance to rent/use/borrow different hulls for class. Don’t know where you live, but if you furnish that I’m sure folks here can steer you toward good instruction sources.

Next canoe for beginner
I don’t know where you live, but if you’re anywhere within range of Old Forge, NY, they have a Paddle Fest in the spring…check Old Forge events calendar. I know you can’t tell a lot about a boat with a brief paddle, but you will have lots of boats to try and knowledgeable people to talk to.

I’m bigger than you are (6’2’almost 300 pounds) and I happen to prefer a truck (Mad River Explorer 16), LOL. She’s not fast, but can haul any two people with gear and suits my needs. For getting somewhere faster, I’ve outfitted her for rowing, but can still paddle normally with the oars stowed when the situation calls for paddling.(See my post under Fishing and Canoes)

Southwest Solo Canoe Rendezvous
the second weekend of June is something to consider. Last one had a variety of boats to try.

And there will be impromptu clinics and a lot of expertise on site…everyone is so willing to share.

Shipping
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=1034130#1035026

Southwest Pennsylvania?
Kayakmedic,

Where is this Southwest Solo Canoe Rendezvous?

I forgot the link
http://www.wpascr.org/

It will be updated as the water starts to melt.

Camping is cheap. It was twenty bucks for two days last year. Technically that is five bucks a day for a use fee and five for a campsite. We have an area with picnic tables ready for your tent.

You can bring an RV too…I believe the fee would be higher.

Pool cues is a good analogy,
but instead of starting with a custom ordered canoe, why not start with a moderately (or inexpensively) priced used boat? Lots of good recommendations already. As you develop your chops you will learn wheteher it that was the boat for you or not. If not, sell it (probably for what you paid) and buy the next silver bullet. (FYI, there are no silver bullets.)

The classifieds here at Pnet have taken demoing to a whole new level for me. Buy, Try, Decide. Do your research and narrow it down to a handful of models. Watch the ads for a boat near you, at a price you can live with. Arrange for a test paddle. (I have received great advice and direction from sellers when test driving.) Depending on where you live, you have all winter to watch the ads.

Solo weekends like Raystown, sojourns, clubs are other ways to spend some seat time in different boats. Good luck.