NRS Float bag quality?????

I was reading reviews for NRS float bags (10-gauge Urethane) on their site. I was going to purchase some but I saw enough reviews stating the black hose cracked and failed after a year to make it alarming to me. They also show a car running one over and it not bursting. I have Seattle Sport float bags (PVC-coated polyester construction) in the other kayaks with no problem except one burst. I think it burst because I inflated it hard and then left it in the kayak and it got hot. Now I deflate them some what in the warmer weather and don’t inflate them so hard. Any other brands and feed back? I see some people said they replaced the bag under warranty and others say they got no response. Lifetime warranty is no good if you need it and it fails. thanks.

1 Like

I have never owned an NRS bag. I have read quite a few negative comments from those who have.

I’ve had two sets of NRS bags. The first set had the old clear filler hoses, and I had to come up with a clever fix to re-attach the connection fixtures to the bag after a couple years. I inquired as to what the problem was, and was told that those bags were built using more environmentally-friendly materials, and that proved to be unsatisfactory. I replaced them with the newer version with the black hoses. That was about 5 or 6 years ago, and “so far, so good”. However, I don’t use my bags as frequently as a lot of people do, so it’s anybody’s guess what this means.

However, if the only recent complaints that you find online are about the hoses cracking, I sure wouldn’t base my purchase decision on that. If the bags are good but the hoses crack, just go to the hardware store and replace them. There’s nothing special about “original equipment” in cases like this.

I have a kayak bow float bag from NRS I run in a 14 ft recreational boat. The hose pulled off the fitting at the bag. I threw away the cheap wire clamp and installed a SS hose clamp and haven’t had any problems with it since. It was purchased and installed in early 2013.

sad if people have to pay 40-50 bucks and have a hose crack after a year or clamps fail. They are supposed to design the product. I mean I would hope to get 5 years out of a bag not in the sun and taken care of.

NRS chat

How can we help?
[john] When I read reviews of float bags I see that the black tube cracks and fails. Why is that?
[Clyde] Hello, welcome to NRS. My name is Clyde.
[Clyde] John, we have had that problem in the past. We believe that’s been fixed with current stock.
[john] why do you believe it? No testing?
[john] How long since you material switch?
[Clyde] We’ve changed the material in the inflation tubes and have confidence in the new material.
[john] ok thanks

I used two NRS float bags in our rec boats for about 2 years (2013-2015) and never had any problems with them.

_@PaddleDog52 said:
sad if people have to pay 40-50 bucks and have a hose crack after a year or clamps fail. They are supposed to design the product. I mean I would hope to get 5 years out of a bag not in the sun and taken care of.
_
My feet off of the pegs in this boat can touch the bag. Rubbing a dive booty across the bag generates a “funny” noise. Too much “funny noise” and the hose falls off.

45 or 50 bucks for an air bag?
Surely you jest…

As I read it, prices on NRS float bags are as follows:
NRS long, 57 inch length, solo bags are going for $119,00 each.
NRS short, 42 inch length, solo bags are going for $110.00 each.
That’s not counting shipping.

On the plus side; they’re saying they have a lifetime gurantee.

BOB

@thebob.com said:
45 or 50 bucks for an air bag?
Surely you jest…

As I read it, prices on NRS float bags are as follows:
NRS long, 57 inch length, solo bags are going for $119,00 each.
NRS short, 42 inch length, solo bags are going for $110.00 each.
That’s not counting shipping.

On the plus side; they’re saying they have a lifetime gurantee.

BOB

http://www.nrs.com/product/42081/nrs-standard-kayak-flotation No jest for real. :#

What I have now in the kayaks https://www.rei.com/product/685428/seattle-sports-standard-sea-kayak-flotation-set?CAWELAID=120217890000836941&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=16033111960&CATCI=aud-87986356584:pla-117702509320&cm_mmc=PLA_Google

Life time warranty is only good if they follow up and replace a defective product. Seems from reviews NRS failed in that regard also more than once.

I’m perplexed about the various comments about hose clamps. I’ve seen quite a few NRS bags, for both kayaks and canoes, and as I mentioned above, I’m on my second set of canoe-flotation bags from NRS. I’ve never seen any with hose clamps of any kind, The hoses have just had a pressed fit. I’ve also never imagined that the hoses might come loose, so I just yanked on the hoses for my canoe bags with about 40 or 50 pounds of force and they didn’t budge.

@Guideboatguy said:
I’m perplexed about the various comments about hose clamps. I’ve seen quite a few NRS bags, for both kayaks and canoes, and as I mentioned above, I’m on my second set of canoe-flotation bags from NRS. I’ve never seen any with hose clamps of any kind, The hoses have just had a pressed fit. I’ve also never imagined that the hoses might come loose, so I just yanked on the hoses for my canoe bags with about 40 or 50 pounds of force and they didn’t budge.

think he said he added a SS hose clamp and it had a cheaper wire clap of some type.

Exactly. Who else has seen one even with that cheap wire clamp? Not I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7l-6r7cUZs

Mine were $45. “Standard Kayak Flotation - Medium”.

Can any of these bags fit in a canoe with flotation chambers?

Yes, standard end bags will work in a boat with float tanks. They won’t be quite the right shape, but it will not be a problem.

Most bags are designed for use in whitewater canoes (and kayaks) and they tend to be rather oversized. You put as much air in them as your hull and your bag cage allow. When used in composite general recreational canoes, they tend to be even more oversized as these boats tend to have finer (less buoyant) ends and are usually not as deep.

Years ago Voyageur made some urethane nylon end bags that were specifically designed for composite canoes with tanks, but Voyageur is long gone and I have not seen any other maker pick up on that design.

I have used and abused, a lot of air bags in crossover kayaks, I have found that airlines often fail, but are easily repaired with easily obtainable parts. When the bag itself fails via puncture or wear, that is when bags get tossed. I have never had an NRS bag fail. I have had several cheaper brands fail when sand gets in between the bag and hull, and rubs over time. I have also had camping gear stored in the nose puncture cheaper air bags. I have not had to replace my NRS bags in the last 4 years.